Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New build, won't POST: advice?

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Apparently either the mobo or the PSU might be defective: unlikely both.
    To know what to return at first I would try the PSU with any other running system and the mobo with an external graphics (always on a bench, not in any enclosure). Obviously, whether it's possible.
    Third hypothetical option, even a bad mounted CPU cooler might short the mobo (it happened me more than once): is it the stock one?
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, it's the stock cooler. I'm pretty sure it's mounted correctly. I did remove and remount at one point, but it didn't seem any different than the first time. My IT guy here at work gave an old video card that worked when removed to try, so that will be first. I will update with results.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a quick update. Picked up a new motherboard on the way home, minimally installed it (cpu/cooler, power connectors) and tried to boot: same thing as previous motherboard, ie, nothing at all.

So, now I'm pretty sure this is the PSU. But I also need to get a POST speaker as I don't have one currently (case doesn't have one). Luckily Fry's has both the speaker and a PSU. Will update again later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Final update, writing from the new system!

Found a couple of issues: first, my cpu wasn't seating right because of some minorly bent pins. Got that sorted out, and was able to finally boot. Second, I ended up replacing the EVGA PSU with an Antec HCG-520m; even after the cpu issue was fixed, I was getting no beeping on boot. So, for the most part, the new PSU fixed it all. Eveything seems to work fine, and I would imagine the bent pins are something I did (although I'm not sure how). But anyway...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jtk View Post
    I would imagine the bent pins are something I did (although I'm not sure how). But anyway...
    Glad you managed to boot the system, though, about the CPU issue, I can't figure how you can lock the socket with a bent pin (if that pin didn't fit in the relevant hole: sometimes such a bending happens when you pull off the heatsink with the whole CPU attached to it from a locked socket, but usually AMD stock thermal paste isn't that strong).
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's exactly what happened, the whole cpu came out with the cooling unit. As far as it locking, I have a feeling I didn't look close enough and it wasn't in the socket correctly. It took quite a bit of fiddling to get the pins back straight enough to fit correctly again.

I learned a lesson there, always pay attention to the cpu seating. I honestly didn't think those pins were that delicate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's exactly what happened, the whole cpu came out with the cooling unit.
    Well, then I think your boot issue was unrelated to that bent pin: did you use an after market thermal paste?

It took quite a bit of fiddling to get the pins back straight enough to fit correctly again.
    You were already lucky it didn't break: sometimes, but not that often, it does.

I learned a lesson there, always pay attention to the cpu seating.
    Just don't pull off straightly any heatsink, but after releasing the retaining mechanism, always twist the cooler repeatedly, right-left, gently, until it come off (more) easily.
    The only exception is when the chip comes without any heatspreader, as exposed dies may easily damage when twisting an heatsink upon them.

I honestly didn't think those pins were that delicate.
    If I'm not wrong, they're made of a gold alloy, quite tender, but Intel's one are even somewhat worse (though they're on the socket side).
    Best, Luca