Thread: Should relevant authorities be notified of fraudulent or unsafe PSUs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Should relevant authorities be notified of fraudulent or unsafe PSUs?

Has any power supply reviewers thought about reporting fraudulently rated or unsafe power supply units to the relevant authorities?

In the USA, fraudulently rated power supplies could be reported to the Federal Trade Commission, and unsafe ones could be reported to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Some of the unsafe power supplies I have read about include the Hercules "500W" that OklahomaWolf tested and found to be an unsafely grounded fire hazard and those old exploding Huntkey power supplies that Hardware Secrets tested and found. Power supply units of this poor quality really should get government-forced recalls.

As for falsely rated power supplies that are tested, I have seen reviews of the Diablotek PSUs from this site and [H]ard|OCP that expose this brand as a repeat offender in the fraudulently rated PSU category. There are many other brands like Deer and Leadman which are also serial offenders that governments should take action against to protect consumers against fraudulently-rated power supply units.

I do not know what the relevant authorities are in other countries, but I would love to see forced recalls and other action to get rid of the junk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

The problem with that is that ghe governments don't see that as problems so who is the relevant authority??

Here in Germany it's rather hard to get rid of them as no one seem to care about shitty/dangerous PSUs...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that this is a case of where governments are unaware of the problem because few people complain about bad power supply units. The average consumer who complains to these agencies usually would complain about the whole computer if he or she does not know one computer part from another part. I would like power supply unit reviewers to make their government safety and anti-fraud agencies aware of the problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Those authorities, as all other regime's offices, are only filled with mostly lazy and stupid burreaucrats. They do not care, have the knowledge or, if they miracously do, are corrupted.

So there is our role on free market to review and inform public. Than it is on them - they have to vote with their purse.
    Last edited by Behemot; 10-08-2015 at 06:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't know what would happen in the USA, but here around you'd trigger riots if you arbitrarily restricted the masses from access to their beloved ~15€ "500W" fire hazards.

The average street guy's expertise on the matter is about this level: "Power supply? I always get the cheapest one that I can find".