Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PSU Mounting - Fan up/in or down/out?

cheapie is offline That weird furry girl they warned you about
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mine, for what it's worth, has a label on one side and a much smaller graphic on the other. The label is right side up and facing out if the fan is pointing down, and the smaller "platinum" graphic is right side up and facing out when the fan is pointing up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LB3 View Post
    For bottom mounted PSU's, it's obvious that to keep the logo upright the fan is on "top" and blows into the case. Almost all manufacturers have the logo upright with the fan on top.

But some cases have vented bottoms which makes me think to mount the PSU "upside-down" with the fan blowing down and out. This makes the logo and text upside down.

What's the deal?
    Quote Originally Posted by LB3 View Post
    Yes, but what do you say about the PSU breathing warmer air from inside the case or cooler air from under case (whether it effects performance or not is moot for this discussion)?

That's my question concerning which way to mount the PSU - which way should the fan face? Logic says go with the logo - keep it upright and intake warmer air from inside. This may also assist with exhaust.

But, drawing air downward in your case may pull warm air back down to your GPU.
    It looks like you changed your mind about the direction of airflow: out the side in the first, and out the back in the second.
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

which way should the fan face? Logic says go with the logo - keep it upright and intake warmer air from inside.
    Logic says look at how your individual case is designed...look at the balance of airflow( the number and speed of fans blowing in verses blowing out) The PSU is the least important of these fans(since it is designed to cool the psu and not the case)

The logo is a red herring, as is everything else other than the balance of airflow through the case(assuming that it travels across all of important parts)

If you are setting your fans to fight against each other...say all blowing out of the case, then you will cause dead spots and could also reverse the flow through your PSU, causing it to overheat.

So, TLDR...it all depends on the entirety of your case...different suggestions for different situations.