Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Corsair RM750i Capacitor Questions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Corsair RM750i Capacitor Questions

I recently purchased the RM750i. I'm sleeving them using the pet cables. I was just wondering about the cap placements. They're located close to the mobo aide, but I would like them to be closer to the psu side (out of sight, out of mind). Would it be possible to just flip the wires around? For example:

If the negative side was on the 8th pinout on the cpu leading to the 3rd pinout on the psu, couldn't I just flip it so that the negative side is on the 3rd pinout of the psu leading to the 8th pinout of the cpu? I feel like I'm not explaining myself well Lol.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fruiteh For This Useful Post:

sith'ari (09-11-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can flip the wires, eat them raw, or ....

BUT YOU SHOULDN'T!

BTW nice touch from Corsair using polys for the Type 4 cables end caps, very low ESR comes real handy for the application.

Tazz: That last bit wasn't needed to make your point.
    Last edited by Tazz; 09-11-2015 at 04:37 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TELVM For This Useful Post:

sith'ari (09-11-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Having them closer to the PSU side nullifies their benefit.Keep them lose to sytem-side output connectors.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GI_Joe For This Useful Post:

ehume (09-11-2015), Jon Gerow (09-11-2015), quest for silence (09-12-2015), sith'ari (09-11-2015), Tazz (09-11-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tazz: That last bit wasn't needed to make your point.
    My apologies if I was too harsh.

It's just that knowingly degrading the electrical performance of a quality PSU just for the sake of aesthetics makes zero sense to me.

But to each his own.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts

GI Joe is correct. The farther from the load, the less effective they are. I've already tested this myself when I found that CableMods was selling a version with the caps in the middle of the cable.

THAT SAID: The ripple isn't that bad without the caps. You're looking at electrical performance as good as the HXi, which I don't believe anyone ever complained about.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    which I don't believe anyone ever complained about.
    Well, before stating that, wait for Paul's review.

Sorry, just kidding.
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We are playing on uncharted teritory in here.

The truth is these caps may be actually only affecting the measurement which is done according Intels spec, as we all know, it's all about those decoupling caps etc. Now if you measure close to these extra cable caps, the affect may be huge. If further, there may be zero to some small. Remember, that whole thing with decoupling caps is just an approximation of real motherboard - from like 15 years ago. Todays VRM is completelly different than in the times of Pentium I/II when the ATX was born. And adding ten times bigger (+-, I do not know what caps are actually there) caps with low ESR in parallel may change the reading much. What I mean is, it may actually be just a kind of an exploit of the spec with no real-world effect.

So in reality, is it going to do any difference? To answer that question you should connect the power supply to an actual motherboard and measure ripple on the VRM. Both with and without those extra cable caps. Because there is 10times higher capacity on the VRM input and compared to that, it may actually do zero difference. Than we could talk about that.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Behemot For This Useful Post:

Per Hansson (09-12-2015), quest for silence (09-11-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    ... The farther from the load, the less effective they are. I've already tested this myself when I found that CableMods was selling a version with the caps in the middle of the cable ...

^ Form over function.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Behemot View Post
    We are playing on uncharted teritory in here.

The truth is these caps may be actually only affecting the measurement which is done according Intels spec, as we all know, it's all about those decoupling caps etc. Now if you measure close to these extra cable caps, the affect may be huge. If further, there may be zero to some small. Remember, that whole thing with decoupling caps is just an approximation of real motherboard - from like 15 years ago. Todays VRM is completelly different than in the times of Pentium I/II when the ATX was born. And adding ten times bigger (+-, I do not know what caps are actually there) caps with low ESR in parallel may change the reading much. What I mean is, it may actually be just a kind of an exploit of the spec with no real-world effect.

So in reality, is it going to do any difference? To answer that question you should connect the power supply to an actual motherboard and measure ripple on the VRM. Both with and without those extra cable caps. Because there is 10times higher capacity on the VRM input and compared to that, it may actually do zero difference. Than we could talk about that.
    Then again, the effective capacitance of an HDD power input wouldn't have changed by too much since then, perhaps it has even gone down some.

On the other hand, you could always view the capacity and the ripple current handling properties of the "modified probes" of the o-scope as the worst-case scenario of a PC component getting powered by the PSU. In that case, any attempts by the PSU manufacturer to provide additional buffering for r/n reduction shouldn't be taken as "cheating", IMO.
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to McSteel For This Useful Post:

quest for silence (09-12-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But also power consumption of HDDs dropped. And HDD is not powered from MoBo cabling if I am not mistaken