Thread: ThermalTake Smart 650W (SP650) Issues

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs down ThermalTake Smart 650W (SP650) Issues

Hello,

I had bought a Thermaltake Smart 650W (Sp-650) power supply unit (not my first choice, wanted a Corsair CX 600, but it was sold out) last December and this week I have started to hear a significant increase in fan noise from the PSU.

At first, it was just the fan, but yesterday, my computer actually froze, and I had to shut it down. The noise was starting to get unacceptable and now if it actually shuts down my computer, it is definitely not acceptable.

I have sent an email to Thermaltake two days ago, with no response, and I am about to get a new power supply unit, this time from Corsair (Last Thermaltake product I ever buy).

I did want to know one thing however. I have the NZXT H440 case (red/black) and there is a filter for the psu at the bottom. I had placed my psu fan facing down and I had noticed there were many people saying it should face up due to dust, etc.

Was this caused because of the fan facing down?

If I do get another psu (Most likely the Corsair HX series), which way should I orient it?

I will keep try to get the Thermaltake RMA'ed and sell it after (Hopefully they respond). Thank you

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bhavik210 View Post
    Was this caused because of the fan facing down?
    Not directly: providing the fan is not defective, it may be the case grille/filter to cause those problem.
    Just test the PSU outside the case, a couple of cm (or an inch) lifted from the floor/table, and then see what happens.

If I do get another psu (Most likely the Corsair HX series), which way should I orient it?
    Providing there's no bad interaction with the case grille, canonically: if fanless, facing up, otherwise if fanned, facing down. Btw, the wrong orientation may cause some overheating, but nothing serious if the PSU is an high quality one (that it's not the case of either the Corsair CX or the TT Smart).
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    Not directly: providing the fan is not defective, it may be the case grille/filter to cause those problem.
    Just test the PSU outside the case, a couple of cm (or an inch) lifted from the floor/table, and then see what happens.

How do you want me to test the power supply out of the case? Using the paper clip technique, do you got a video or something that shows it? (I am terrible with power supplies)

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

(I am terrible with power supplies)
    And maybe I'm terrible in english too!

If it's possible, I'd just remove the AC cord, unscrew the PSU from the case and (without removing the internal cabling) put it right outside this latter, in order it has not to deal with the case bottom panel: then reconnect the AC cord and turn on your rig (and do all those things that you normally do).

Has I been more clear?
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    And maybe I'm terrible in english too!

If it's possible, I'd just remove the AC cord, unscrew the PSU from the case and (without removing the internal cabling) put it right outside this latter, in order it has not to deal with the case bottom panel: then reconnect the AC cord and turn on your rig (and do all those things that you normally do).

Has I been more clear?
    After taking the PSU out (and Hours of Cable Management since I had a mini OCD attack when I saw my wiring), I had done what you asked me to do, the PSU started off very quiet like usually when I start my computer (If I restart when its already making loud fan noise, it will start with it being loud, so it takes hours before it starts quiet again)

After 10 minutes, things started to get loud, I even got a video (sorry for the terrible quality, my camera has a defect HTC)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1o...ew?usp=sharing

This is just idle, I don't even got a rendering/game going.

35 Minutes Later (Still IDLE), it gets louder

This time I put my case PSU filter on top (just so no dust gets in)

The PSU in the case usually has the fan face down due to the case having a filter at the bottom, and less airflow from the top since the case has the top covered (NZXT H440).

So yes, it is still the loudest thing from my PC (my water cooler is very very quiet compared to it, my GPU is completely silent). The PSU is about as loud as my plugin fan I use when the day gets hot.

I just ordered a Corsair HXi 750, hopefully that will last me for as long as my other components. But I still have to RMA it and sell it off. (Still no response from Thermaltake by the way, I will re email them tommorow).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here is a few more videos:

1. In the BIOS with the voltages

2. It gets louder

Im just trying to provide the most detail as possible

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

Low end units like these don't have the best fan speed profiles. Also, lower efficiency means the PSU is going to produce a lot of its own heat that it will need to evacuate.

Simply put: If noise is a concern, you should get a PSU that's made to be low noise.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

bhavik210 (09-10-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

.......................... I have started to hear a significant increase in fan noise from the PSU.

At first, it was just the fan, but yesterday, my computer actually froze, and I had to shut it down. The noise was starting to get unacceptable and now if it actually shuts down my computer, it is definitely not acceptable.
    Well, i think that what you wrote in your 1st post is much more important than the noise issue.
    How many times has your pc frozen? if it has happened 1 or 2 times in total, maybe it's not necessarily PSU's malfunction, could have been a wall AC power spike for example, although it's very alarming issue, for sure.

P.S. As for the noise issue, some years ago, when it was winter season, sometimes when i was starting the pc, the PSU was making terrible sound, which was minimised after pc restart (*it was like the PSU had to get warm first, in order for the noise to stop). That was a very sporadic issue, and only when the weather was very cold. (*can't remember what PSU i was using back then though, i think it was either the Coolermaster Real Power M520 or Coolermaster GX650, or Corsair HX620)
    CPU:Athlon 64 FX60 (2-cores) 2,6GHz
    Mobo:Asrock 939a785g
    cpu cooler:ArcticFreezer13 CO
    RAM:4 GB DDR 400MHz
    GPU:Asus 750 Ti 2GB
    PSU:Seasonic Platinum 660
    Monitor:Asus VE228HR
    Tower:Coolermaster Elite 430

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sith'ari View Post
    Well, i think that what you wrote in your 1st post is much more important than the noise issue.
    How many times has your pc frozen? if it has happened 1 or 2 times in total, maybe it's not necessarily PSU's malfunction, could have been a wall AC power spike for example, although it's very alarming issue, for sure.

P.S. As for the noise issue, some years ago, when it was winter season, sometimes when i was starting the pc, the PSU was making terrible sound, which was minimised after pc restart (*it was like the PSU had to get warm first, in order for the noise to stop). That was a very sporadic issue, and only when the weather was very cold. (*can't remember what PSU i was using back then though, i think it was either the Coolermaster Real Power M520 or Coolermaster GX650, or Corsair HX620)
    It never freezed before, it frooze twice this week, when the psu fan was really loud. The first time, I was rendering with Artlantis and 3 minutes after it finished it crashed. The second time was when I was playing GTA 5 and my screen frooze ( I then had to power my pc down via holding the power buton). All my temperatures for my CPU/GPU/motherboard were fine, and since both the times it crashed, my psu fan was going berserk, I assumed it was my psu that caused it.

Even so, today I will be putting in the power supply into another desktop (very low tech, average desktop) and see what happens.