Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EVGA NEX650G (G1) Review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is there a Gen2 of this? Because I got one for my new Ryzen rig because EVGA always said quality to me. Guess I forgot about this one.
    Anyway, my box just says 10 year warranty, not 5+5... So kinda wondering if it's a new box, or new gen...

Load table is the same, so maybe just an EU box. And it has me wondering if my 7 year old silver rated Strider+ is a better choice for this Ryzen machine.
    Intel i7-2600k with an XSPC Raystorm water block, 4x4GB Corsair Dominator, SLi Evga-GTX560Ti-448 FTWs, Asrock Extreme4 Gen3, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, powered by a Silverstone Strider+ 850 PSU in a Silverstone TJ-07BW case.
    I'm not buying EK GPU blocks ever again. (One GPU killed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

That 7 year old Strider+ is still a solid unit, but you probably want to check the fan and caps to make sure there are no problems. You're well out the warranty period, so taking the top off to see if there are any buldged or leaking caps won't cause any problems.

The caps I would actually be a bit more worried about than the fan; as the 500w and lower capacity FSP made units were CapXon and OST while the Enhance made 600w & up units were all Teapo.
    Both had 2BB fans from Yate Loon & YLTC respectively. These could still have developed problems in the timeframe of their use but it's still a low chance.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tator Tot For This Useful Post:

allikat (07-07-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    That 7 year old Strider+ is still a solid unit, but you probably want to check the fan and caps to make sure there are no problems. You're well out the warranty period, so taking the top off to see if there are any buldged or leaking caps won't cause any problems.

The caps I would actually be a bit more worried about than the fan; as the 500w and lower capacity FSP made units were CapXon and OST while the Enhance made 600w & up units were all Teapo.
    Both had 2BB fans from Yate Loon & YLTC respectively. These could still have developed problems in the timeframe of their use but it's still a low chance.
    Yeah, it's the Enhance built 850w unit. I'll take a look at the caps before swapping it in, but they're not the bad Teapos. It hasn't been too stressed for the majority of its life.
    Thanks for the advice
    Intel i7-2600k with an XSPC Raystorm water block, 4x4GB Corsair Dominator, SLi Evga-GTX560Ti-448 FTWs, Asrock Extreme4 Gen3, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, powered by a Silverstone Strider+ 850 PSU in a Silverstone TJ-07BW case.
    I'm not buying EK GPU blocks ever again. (One GPU killed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

"Bad" teapos or not, that's still a decently old unit so it's well worth checking out.

My Strider+ just recently (about 3 months ago) went through a recapping as two of the Teapos inside (attached picture) did show signs of failure (bulge tops.)

These two might be hard to see with the primary & secondary heatsinks being so large but a bright enough flashlight should illuminate the area if targeted well enough. You'll also have to remove the heatsink in order to be able to replace those caps due to their locations.

My Strider+ was a bit more "abused" than most, as it ran for a long period of time as my F@H system's PSU (running 4 x 9800GTs) and then as a benching unit afterwards.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tator Tot For This Useful Post:

allikat (07-12-2017)