Thread: Hyper 212 Evo & i7-4790k idles @ 50C @ gets to 100% TDP in Prime95.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Hyper 212 Evo & i7-4790k idles @ 50C @ gets to 100% TDP in Prime95.

My i7-4790k is running way too hot. I have a Hyper 212 Evo and whilst I am not expecting this cooler to pull off 'magic' temps. I am expecting it to not get this hot.

Most people report with this same cooler and the push-pull config that they get idle temps around 40C @ 4.8GHz. I get 34C in the BIOS and 50-52C whilst at the desktop on Windows 10 @ only 4.4GHz. Using Prime95 with a max stress test takes it to 100C! So I shut it off.. others state that theirs never goes past 77C!

I have a stock intel cooler lying around and I feel like I'd get better temps with that, than this. I had an i7-2600k before this (with the stock cooler) and theoretically it should be a hotter CPU but it was running 10C cooler (though it was running @ 600Mhz less).

So the obvious problem? It's not mounted/pasted/whatever properly.

The problem is. I've repasted it 3 times now. The installation is super flimsy and annoying and I've watched tons of Youtube videos but all of them are the same and no one is doing any steps that I am not doing... So I don't understand how my temps are seriously so much worse... The temps have also been the basically the same every single time..

So I'm running out of Arctic Cooling Silver 5 due to so many repastings and I have since run out of isopropol alcohol and cleanser to clear the surface for a new repasting.

My questions are these:

1. My paste is old, really old. I didn't really think about it until about 15 minutes ago. I think this paste is probably 3 years (in the tube) and its probably travelled over 100,000 kilometres (no joke) with me in its little 3.5g tube on various flights. I guess this will significantly reduce its capacity to cool effectively seeing as I've opened the tube numerous times within those rough 3 years. I honestly didn't even consider this, but how long does AS5 or any paste really last?

2. It seems absolutely impossible to get the 212 EVO on without it 'moving' at all. I've seen 10 people install it and through that picked what I think is the most 'non-invasive' way to mount it but it still feels really annoying trying to get that darn bracket on without moving the heatsink around too much. Does anyone know of a better way to mount it? I mean really this thing seems like a total P.I.T.A. I can't believe they didn't at least make a way to stop the bracket from moving when it's resting on top of the mount point before it's screwed in.

3. How important is it really at using alcohol to remove absolutely all traces of the paste before repasting? Would I see a noticeable difference if U just used say.. tissues or a clean cloth to remove the paste, without the use of any alcohol or anything?

4. What do you think is the best paste? People still argue that AS5 is the best but that it takes quite awhile to start to work efficiently... What do you guys think?

5. How should the paste be applied? I've always used the pea dot method because well, in videos I have seen and stuff it always looks like the best spreading method. Is the line method any better? A lot of people use it but on paper it doesn't really seem any better.

Thanks!

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Leijonasisu View Post
    I honestly didn't even consider this, but how long does AS5 or any paste really last?
    I think there's no definitive answer: the AS5 won't dry out easily, so that you shouldn't find any noticeable difference (in the paste appearance I mean), between a "seasoned" tube and a freshly bought one (in my experience I never found a difference in colour/density/viscosity between new and used AS5 tubes): moreover, usually you don't (can't) know how much time the paste you buy has been stored. I just note that if you're talking of the small 3.5gr tube, if you used it so many times over the years, there's a chance you may usually apply too little paste.

2. It seems absolutely impossible to get the 212 EVO on without it 'moving' at all.
    What's your point? It's not clear.

3. How important is it really at using alcohol to remove absolutely all traces of the paste before repasting?
    With a conventional (solid base) heatsink, it might be of some importance.
    With an HDT one is even more important.
    Obviously, if you just tried an unsuccessful mounting (I mean, right before re-applying the paste), there are maybe less compelling reasons for that: at any rate, personally I always clean the base and the heatspreader.

Would I see a noticeable difference if U just used say.. tissues or a clean cloth to remove the paste, without the use of any alcohol or anything?
    I don't think so, though I never did so: I think you won't be able to clean it properly, but I'm not expecting a (to say) 10°C (or more) thermal rise difference just for that.

4. What do you think is the best paste? People still argue that AS5 is the best but that it takes quite awhile to start to work efficiently... What do you guys think?
    My own thought is that the paste of choice is not such an important factor. AS5 is a good paste, and probably still my favourite (though I used also MX4, Ceramique 2, Noctua and Prolimatech also), but IMHO you won't see any substantial (from 100° to 90°, for instance) improvement with a really better paste.

5. How should the paste be applied? I've always used the pea dot method because well, in videos I have seen and stuff it always looks like the best spreading method. Is the line method any better? A lot of people use it but on paper it doesn't really seem any better.
    IMHO it's not the right method for your heatsink: though its CDC technology, it's still an HDT one, so IMO you still need to carefully apply the paste between each heatpipe in order to spread/fill and then leveling any part of its base (when the base hits the heatspreader). You might also try to spread the paste on the base by yourself, but it's a tricky maneuver. By the way, it's difficult to apply the right amount of paste that way (I mean with lines between each heatpipe), too much paste as well too little will lead to a likely increase in temps.

Given your recent trouble building your rig, I won't advice to delid your CPU (though that's what I will do, in case: Coolaboratory Liquid Metal Pro is the paste of choice for this mod), but I think the 212 is not the right cooler for any Intel CPU since Ivy Bridge, and not the right cooler for overclocking (it doesn't have enough performance "room"): whether I was looking for a relatively small/light and budget-friendly cooler, probably I'd have given a try to something like any release of the Thermalright True Spirit 120 (I mean, a traditional and convex base).
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What voltage is reporting when stress testing?
    I know my Asus Z97-A board went crazy on voltage for the 4790k. 1.35v for turbo, that was the main reason for my high temps.

If you have a vice around, delidding is quite easy to do but ofc you should do plenty of research. My 4790k averages about 57c on load, 4.7GHz @ 1.23v but that is with the H100i. Delidding does wonders, less fan noise being a major one for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you remove the protective film that's on the base of the cooler before you installed the Hyper 212?

edit: nvm, necro...
    Last edited by Carambola; 08-22-2016 at 10:54 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If he hadn't, the cpu would have fried instantly.
    Any computer problem can be fixed with a big enough hammer.