Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need recommendations for PSU, please

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Need recommendations for PSU, please

Hiya, just registered.

I'm currently putting together a computer and the power supply is what I need help with. I don't have a PC right now, so please understand that at the moment I can research power supplies only a little. I’m very new to the whole building-one’s-own-computer experience, too (this is my first build), so please bear with me if I seem noobish

Here's what I have so far:

AMD Athlon 64 FX-57
    DFI UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert (24 pin connection)
    2 x 512MB RAM (PC3200)
    3-5 120mm case fans (Antec P180B case – ATX form factor)
    DVD drive, and floppy, too
    (read on for info regarding hard drives and video card)

Now, at the moment I do have a Fortron 400W, but I would like to add some items to the PC in the next couple months. I'm guessing that particular Fortron won't be adequate, and I don't know what would be a good choice for what I'm planning to add:

Hard drives: Currently I have a 250GB Western Digital SATA drive, and the P180 case has room for six drives total. I will add at least five 250GB drives, and maybe one or two more seeing as how there's some extra space what with only one 5.25" bay being used by the DVD drive...

Video card: I'm waiting to see if the prices change over the next month or so, but I will likely go with a 320MB 8800GTS. Maximum would be an 8800GTX, though probably not since I don't think it would fit in the case, especially with the space that the drives would take up. SLI/Crossfire will not be done.

So those are the two upgrades the power supply would need to be able to power. I don’t foresee any further upgrades beyond that as I intend to use this PC for at least the next 3 years. I'm guessing the Fortron I have now would be fine for just the video card, but I don't know what would be suitable for a G80 in addition to all those drives.

I don't mind whether or not the power supply has modular cabling or not. Also, I’m in the US, if that helps any with PFC (I don’t really know anything about it, though). I’m assuming from what I have read so far that I’ll probably need something with dual 12V rails, with one for the video card?

As for my budget, under $200 would be preferable, but quality is more important.

I'm hoping you folks here could recommend me a PSU that would meet my needs. If I forgot to include some specs or other information please tell me, and I can also check the mobo’s manual for any power requirements or so (I saw some in there).

Thank you for your suggestions and thoughts on what PSU would be best

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not knowledgeable enough to give you a psu recommendation but I will go stick my neck out and say you may have problems with 1 and even 2 8800GTX video cards hitting your upper 3.5" drive cage.

I've read alot of ppl complaining they don't have room for hard disks (and cables) with the video card(s) together. I suggest you do a lil more research on the length of specific 8800 gpu's unless you are willing to give up that drive cage/wind tunnel.

Btw, you can always bypass the problem by putting backplanes in the 5.25 drives.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Veno(V) View Post
    I'm not knowledgeable enough to give you a psu recommendation but I will go stick my neck out and say you may have problems with 1 and even 2 8800GTX video cards hitting your upper 3.5" drive cage.

I've read alot of ppl complaining they don't have room for hard disks (and cables) with the video card(s) together. I suggest you do a lil more research on the length of specific 8800 gpu's unless you are willing to give up that drive cage/wind tunnel.

Btw, you can always bypass the problem by putting backplanes in the 5.25 drives.
    That upper drive cage is always the first to go if your dealing with G80's and the P180
    Even without G80's, I still yank it unless the client is going to be using 5+ drives
    MSI P67A-GD65
    i72600K@4.8
    Corsair H70
    4x4Gb GSkill Ripjaws 16Gb 1600
    MSI 670 GTX PE/OC
    2x750Gb Seagate Barracuda's RAID 0
    Zalman ZM-MFC1
    Lite-On Dvd burner
    SB X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
    Silverstone Zeus ST85ZF
    Coolermaster HAF-932
    "Experience is the benchmark of maturity"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JrCheeseDeluxe View Post
    Hiya, just registered.

I'm currently putting together a computer and the power supply is what I need help with. I don't have a PC right now, so please understand that at the moment I can research power supplies only a little. I’m very new to the whole building-one’s-own-computer experience, too (this is my first build), so please bear with me if I seem noobish

Here's what I have so far:

AMD Athlon 64 FX-57
    DFI UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert (24 pin connection)
    2 x 512MB RAM (PC3200)
    3-5 120mm case fans (Antec P180B case – ATX form factor)
    DVD drive, and floppy, too
    (read on for info regarding hard drives and video card)

Now, at the moment I do have a Fortron 400W, but I would like to add some items to the PC in the next couple months. I'm guessing that particular Fortron won't be adequate, and I don't know what would be a good choice for what I'm planning to add:

Hard drives: Currently I have a 250GB Western Digital SATA drive, and the P180 case has room for six drives total. I will add at least five 250GB drives, and maybe one or two more seeing as how there's some extra space what with only one 5.25" bay being used by the DVD drive...

Video card: I'm waiting to see if the prices change over the next month or so, but I will likely go with a 320MB 8800GTS. Maximum would be an 8800GTX, though probably not since I don't think it would fit in the case, especially with the space that the drives would take up. SLI/Crossfire will not be done.

So those are the two upgrades the power supply would need to be able to power. I don’t foresee any further upgrades beyond that as I intend to use this PC for at least the next 3 years. I'm guessing the Fortron I have now would be fine for just the video card, but I don't know what would be suitable for a G80 in addition to all those drives.

I don't mind whether or not the power supply has modular cabling or not. Also, I’m in the US, if that helps any with PFC (I don’t really know anything about it, though). I’m assuming from what I have read so far that I’ll probably need something with dual 12V rails, with one for the video card?

As for my budget, under $200 would be preferable, but quality is more important.

I'm hoping you folks here could recommend me a PSU that would meet my needs. If I forgot to include some specs or other information please tell me, and I can also check the mobo’s manual for any power requirements or so (I saw some in there).

Thank you for your suggestions and thoughts on what PSU would be best
    I recomend something server based, as in a OEM Etasis, Silverstone Zeus ST750ZF or ST850ZF
    MSI P67A-GD65
    i72600K@4.8
    Corsair H70
    MSI 670 GTX PE/OC
    Zalman ZM-MFC1
    Lite-On Dvd burner
    Silverstone Zeus ST85ZF
    Coolermaster HAF-932

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A single 8800gts system will probably run ok on your forton 400w assuming thats a newer model with decent 12V specs (say 28A combined). Only a single core cpu after all. Nvidia suggests 400w/26A for 8800gts. If your worried something like a Silverstone element 500w should handle one 8800gtx fine, or corsair HX520 if you need modular+silence. Silverstone zeus 750w/850w is v/nice though imo a little overkill since your never going SLI.

I’m assuming from what I have read so far that I’ll probably need something with dual 12V rails, with one for the video card?
    Usually a single 12V rail is easiest to work with (like Corsair, newer silverstone and seasonic psu's), multiple 12V rails limits (in particular dual 12V rail configuration - 3/4 12V rail psu's are mostly fine) what you can do (psu shuts down if one 12V rail is exceeded, despite their potentially being plenty of reserve capacity on another 12V rail). For single videocard systems its no biggie though...yet!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SnooP View Post
    A single 8800gts system will probably run ok on your forton 400w assuming thats a newer model with decent 12V specs (say 28A combined).Silverstone zeus 750w/850w is v/nice though imo a little overkill since your never going SLI.
    Did you not read this part of the OP's post

I don't think a FSP 400w will work very long with that many drives
    And with the OP's budget of under $200, and wants this PSU too survive at least 3 years, I would go with something server based as I said before

And I would not call it overkill, who knows what he might upgrade too in those 3 years? Whatever the case, he would be covered and have peace of mind with even a ST56ZF, which I will also recomend if the OP thinks he's wasting money on the others

That tells me the man wants something bulletproof for the long run

I stand by my referals
    MSI P67A-GD65
    i72600K@4.8
    Corsair H70
    MSI 670 GTX PE/OC
    Zalman ZM-MFC1
    Lite-On Dvd burner
    Silverstone Zeus ST85ZF
    Coolermaster HAF-932

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you not read this part of the OP's post
    Yes i did, in particular no more future upgrades but harddrives (hence suggesting no need to go too high end), just giving the OP options, rather than having them just assume they'll have to throw out a good working psu (assuming its one of the newer forton psu's that are). But otherwise yes Estasis built Zeus psu's are very nice avoid the 650w model, not Estasis and noisier than the others. Anyone know if the new Olympia series Estasis built? might be worth a look, quiet and massive single 12V rail. Zippy/Emacs might be worth a look too if bulletproof reliability is top order, perhaps G1 600w, again noisy though. I'd trust high end seasonic/corsair stuff to last a few years to though. I recommended element 500w based on the '10' jonnyguru gave it for performance, and top price.

Some reviews worth looking at:
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=30 (zeus 560w)
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=43 (zeus 750w)
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=15 (zeus 850w)
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=14 (zippy 600w)
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=23 (element 500w)
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=28 (corsair hx520w)
    Last edited by SnooP; 02-21-2007 at 07:27 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SnooP View Post
    Anyone know if the new Olympia series Estasis built?
    The OP1000 is OEM Seventeam
    The OP650 is suppose to be a Silverstone OEM
    The OP750 is probabley the same as above
    And the ST650ZF you said to stear clear of is OEM Enhance
    Along with it's little Zeus brother, ST52ZF
    MSI P67A-GD65
    i72600K@4.8
    Corsair H70
    MSI 670 GTX PE/OC
    Zalman ZM-MFC1
    Lite-On Dvd burner
    Silverstone Zeus ST85ZF
    Coolermaster HAF-932

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Apart from what has been recommended, I would also add the Supermicro PWS-0056 and the upcoming Ultra 700+ units to the mix.\
    If the fortron is a Bluestorm based design, you will not be able to run that kind of a load. I had a hard time running 2 x 6800GS cards with a single core venice, 2 HDD's. Bouncy rails are what you would get.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey all, thanks for the great replies

I'm now looking at the 750W and 850W models by Silverstone (the Zeus models) and Etasis (thanks CAD4466HK). I forgot to check my Antec P180 case earlier, so I'll have to go back later and compare these PSUs' physical dimensions to those of the case's PSU cage.

Anywho, I checked out Jonny's reviews earlier and was just now comparing their specs over at NewEgg. Since Etasis is Silverstone's OEM for these, it looks to be pretty much down to the number of connectors, and which of the two twattages to go for (and Etasis costs a little less). However, I noticed a little discrepancy in the specs that I don't understand.

First, I saw that for the 750W PSUs, the Amps on the rails of both brands are identical except for the +3.3V rail, where Etasis' model has an extra 4 Amps (28A to Silverstone's 24A). 28A On the +3.3V rail is also what Etasis' page for that model says.

These specs are identical to Etasis' and Silverstone's 850W models (28A on the +3.3V rail). In a couple other browser tabs I've got Jonny's reviews for the latter two, and there the Amps on both models' +3.3V rail is 24A

I know NewEgg has typos every now and then, but I'm confused as to what the correct specs are. I checked Jonny's review of Silverstone's 750W Strider and there the rails are identical to those of the 850W PSUs also reviewed.

I must be missing something, but I don't know what. I need to get some sleep...