Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brand new, awesome build getting 'surge' problems.. refuses to now POST at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

The PSU doesn't really care, it has a short circuit protection. The motherboard can easily die because of this. PSU also looks to be working as it should, so probably the motherboard.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leijonasisu View Post
    So you guys seriously think that the motherboard is broken not the PSU?
    +1 to Mask

But again, I didn't understand, maybe due to the english language: did you put the mobo on its cardboard box, the PSU on the table, then connected just the 1 ram stick, keyboard, the monitor cable, ATX connector, EPS connector, and then power it up? If you actually did it and it didn't power up, RMA the mobo.
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

did you put the mobo on its cardboard box, the PSU on the table, then connected just the 1 ram stick, keyboard, the monitor cable, ATX connector, EPS connector, and then power it up?
    Yeah I did that but only after incorrectly mounting the Motherboard without the stand-off screws. By the time I even tried that it wasn't working.

So it makes absolutely no difference that doing what Johnnyguru said, which was the paperclip test WITH a fan connected via Molex adapter and that NEITHER the case fan or the PSU fan spin up past 2 seconds. (Wouldn't the case fan continuously spin if the PSU was working correctly?)

I trust you guys' judgment and I guess I will try and return the motherboard...

But first I will test the motherboard and everything else on an insulated surface like the mobo box and see if for some reason it wants to work so I can give a detailed explanation of what happens when I try.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So it makes absolutely no difference that doing what Johnnyguru said, which was the paperclip test WITH a fan connected via Molex adapter and that NEITHER the case fan or the PSU fan spin up past 2 seconds. (Wouldn't the case fan continuously spin if the PSU was working correctly?)
    Apparently, in your scenario (I mean: no different PSUs to test the mobo, no other PC to test the PSU, no testing equipment - a digital multimeter as the bare minimum - and relevant knowledge), no: the most likely faulty part should be the mobo.
    Please take note: "the most likely", not "the surely".
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do have a digital multimeter. Could I use that to test the PSU? If so, how could I do this?

Thanks a lot for all the continued responses so far.

EDIT:

https://youtu.be/5xvqZStwEkU

I just did the test with 1 stick of RAM, CPU, PSU & Mobo etc. connected to a screen all on top of the motherboard case. One last time to show you guys what happens.

If someone tells me how to test my PSU with the multimeter that I have I will go ahead and do that. Hopefully by the end of the day I'll know which part I am replacing.
    Last edited by Leijonasisu; 08-13-2015 at 12:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Without any CPU cooler?

Well I guess you need to buy a new motherboard and CPU then, warranty is gone...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Without any CPU cooler?

Well I guess you need to buy a new motherboard and CPU then, warranty is gone...
    Now hang on a second, let's not jump to any conclusions.

I'm 99.99% sure that the PSU is broken = the CPU isn't giving anything over a few volts = there's no harm done. Also the CPU hasn't been even remotely hot once. I've had the cooler on it every single time that I have done a test, EXCEPT for when I made this video. From the video you can see that it's not hot or anything because I pick up the CPU straight after. Even though one could argue that it's dangerous to test it even for 10 seconds without the CPU heatsink, I think it's pretty obvious that it didn't get any voltage at all in the video... and even if it had and the PC had gotten to the BIOS Logo, I would have switched it straight off.

When I was able to get into the BIOS Setup just that first one time the CPU temperatures were at a steady 27-29C. The Hyper 212 EVO seemed to be working absolutely fine. When I took the video I did it without the cooler on because I couldn't have been bothered to put it on for just a 5 second test. (The CPU isn't going to melt at basically 0% load in such a short period of time, especially when I suspect that the PSU is faulty).

So let's stay on track...

VIDEO: https://youtu.be/bukN08XS0Gw

I just did a test with my multimeter and with the help of my girlfriend. In the video you can see that we test the PSU via a molex plug's voltages and that after turning them on, they barely get to the proper voltages for just a split second before going back to basically zero.

So I think it's pretty obvious that the PSU is broken. It's shutting itself off just roughly 1½ seconds after turning on. This happens during the paper-clip test, and when plugged into the motherboard.

Now none of this rules out the motherboard ALSO being broken, but I am pretty sure from all this testing that the power supply definitely IS broken. I think after all of this I am going to follow through with an RMA of the PSU.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

I don't think the PSU is working either. The fan plugged into the Molex SHOULD BE SPINNING! In your video, it is not. And the fact that the DMM is showing random numbers... There's something toast with that PSU.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

Leijonasisu (08-13-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the reply Johnny

I've requested an RMA from Corsair and will send the unit in tomorrow morning. This has all been really unfortunate and has left me feeling guiltier than I can remember. I hope that getting a replacement fixes my problems. If not then I guess the next thing on the list to change is the motherboard.

I've put a couple of computers together before and never once forgotten the stand-off screws. I had a video on that went through the building stages to help ensure that I wouldn't miss something small like this...

Even though I will never know, I hope that this has all just been the issue of a faulty CPU either through it arriving that way or through my own negligence.

Fingers crossed my other components weren't damaged too. Everything else 'looks' fine, and no other components show signs of being fried. I won't know though until I get a new PSU to test properly.

@Mask when I test the machine with the new PSU in a barebones setup on the motherboard box I will bother to put the heatsink on next time.

@questforsilence I'll test the build on the box first when I get the new PSU.

x ∞

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've requested an RMA from Corsair and will send the unit in tomorrow morning.
    Good luck!

@Jon: would you mind to let us know something about that RMA (if possible, of course)? I'm curious to see what's wrong with that PSU.
    Best, Luca