Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WOW! Is software off....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

Default WOW! Is software off....

I know.. I know..

I'm preaching to the choir here.... And I don't mean any disrespect to the guys that write HW INFO, AIDA, etc. because they're doing whatever they can with the data they're given by the motherboards.. but WOW!

So... We were told that the CX < 750W had issues with Skylake.

Well.. duh. It doesn't support the low power sleep states.

But sales were like "they're installing Windows.. prompted for input.. not inputting anything and the PC crashes." Well.. duh.. if you sit there during the Windows install and don't input anything. Guess what? The PC goes to sleep.

Anyhoo.. as a tech marketing monkey, I have to do as I'm instructed and put a CX500 in a Skylake build using an Asus Z170 board. With the power management set to "normal" I had no issues. Set the power management to "energy saver" and the PC would reboot when it came out of sleep... JUST LIKE HASWELL.

I decided to see if I could get Windows running with the energy saver mode on, I could write a better report. Using the lab's DMM, which is better than my own UT81B and is calibrated every year because Corsair has the budget for it, I set it to log voltages and shoved it into an available PCIe power connector.

I consistantly got +12.3V while running AIDA for CPU and memory stability tests. But the voltage reported by the software?? 7.7V!!!

7.7V!!!! I'm pretty sure the PC wouldn't run. But that's neither here nor there. Just the fact that I was being told by AIDA and HWINFO that the +12V was 7.7V when I was logging +12.3V with a lab quality DMM just tells me how far off voltage readings can be when trusting software.

And to think... I have a guy on Tom's Hardware telling me that user could just use HWINFO, etc. to find out their PSU voltages... OH... MY... GOD!!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

Philipus II (07-29-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Not exactly surprising to be honest. Simple guessing usually works better for the voltage estimate than software readings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

I know.. but the fact that SO MANY PEOPLE think "I'll just check HWINFO for my PSU voltages... OMGWTFBBQSAUCE! My +12V is at 4.7V!!! Must have PSU problem!!!!" is just mind boggling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

Here we go...

Also note the -5V reading (note: There IS no -5V).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

ehume (07-29-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What the hell is the problem with those states? Its all just like "Vista ready" power supply! WTF! So the computer takes just a fraction of watt from +12 V…and couple watts from +3.3/+5 V, maybe (RAM etc.). Now, what it the problem here with 2015 power supply??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Minimum load? Can your car idle on 0.1 l of gas?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

We used to get quite a few returns on PSUs because users were using the values reported in the motherboard BIOS as proof their PSU was defective. Now that our customer service guys are told to always educate customers on not trusting software readings, it's gotten better, but still....

Maybe all PSU brands need to ally and sign a petition to ask for exclusion of PSU readings from these software monitoring program? Or have them include a disclaimer of some sorts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Behemot View Post
    What the hell is the problem with those states? Its all just like "Vista ready" power supply! WTF! So the computer takes just a fraction of watt from +12 V…and couple watts from +3.3/+5 V, maybe (RAM etc.). Now, what it the problem here with 2015 power supply??
    Just sayin'.

Set the board to "energy saver" in the BIOS and it just couldn't come out of sleep without rebooting. Threw an RM550 in there and it works fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Before you read the voltage with software you should read it in the bios, if the values are the same the software got nothing to do.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by none77 View Post
    Before you read the voltage with software you should read it in the bios, if the values are the same the software got nothing to do.
    Usually they are not.
    Best, Luca