Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PSU on and off ticking

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Behemot View Post
    Yeah may be possible for sure, the PFC frequency/duty cycle changes depending on how much it has to boost which than affects the manifestation of this problem.
    Well. currently I can't hear the usual tick I hear in the evening, I hear the electrical buzz which is normal according to seasonic site. I hear the fan's movement. I put a moist hand next to the exhaust and I can feel a slight amount of air being pushed out (at 30% load and cool room, that's what I'd expect from 88% efficiency and up). So yeah. That explains why it all works fine, why it didn't make a single noise during the testing at the shop where I bought it and also hopefully means I haven't damaged anything by flipping the case sideways several times and re-routing cables in an attempt to fix an issue that might not be one. Does it make sense for it to spin-down along with the fans of the PC and spin up on boot-up? I know a lot of power surges initially.

EDIT: So I gather that if it's the PFC making the sound it would occur when voltage drops bellow 200-210VAC and goes above 240VAC because it has to work harder to keep the DC output in line. Though the ticking stops when PC is off, some sources say PFC continues to tick afterwards. I know that I high-pitched noise can be heard when PC is off from the +5VSB.
    Last edited by don_svetlio; 07-12-2015 at 12:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am pretty sure it's the fan. Doubt the PFC is making the noise considering it spins down with PC going in sleep mode and spins up when I wake it. Probably not lubricated well. Would explain why everything works but the noise is present.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, I tried pressing on the center of the fan through the exhaust a few times and even though no squeaky noise was heard, the ticking seems to not be present when the fan spins up and down. It's too early to say but it might be fixed.