Thread: Delayed boot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Delayed boot

I have two ReadyNAS 6 drive NAS- (ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer) - about 6 years old. They have OEM version of a Seasonic PSU - model SS-300SFD 300W SFX12V.

The problem that has happened to both NAS - after pushing the power button it takes about 5 minutes to power up. Another symptom is when powering down - either with the power button or the recommended way via web interface, they shut down then immediately powers back up.

This is a common problem for this model (Google readynas + SS-300SFD). The solution is to buy a new Seasonic 300SFD, which I'm about to do.

I've been building my own PC's for myself and other for years and I've seen about every PSU problem imaginable except for this one. The most dramatic - a Sparkle PSU that sounded like a rifle shot after pushing the power button. There was smoke but the MB and components were surprisingly OK.

My question - has anyone observed this type of PSU failure - delayed booting? The NAS is just an old Core2duo with non-ecc memory and I think Debian 4.0. Both units take about the same time to boot - 5 minutes. After pressing the power button there is some intermittent flickering of the NIC light on the back before the five minutes are up. I have both NAS on UPS and keep them on 24x7. I only noticed after I had to power them off and wouldn't power on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Remove the PSU and crack it open, I guess you will find bad caps on stand-by rail, that behaviour is one of common symptoms.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Behemot View Post
    Remove the PSU and crack it open, I guess you will find bad caps on stand-by rail, that behaviour is one of common symptoms.
    Delayed boot is common? I never knew that. You turn press the power button - nothing. make a cup of tea. Then the machine comes alive 5 minutes later!

Would a bad capacitor also cause it to not power off - reboot?

I find it odd that the combination of this PSU and one particular model of NAS is resulting in the identical symptoms. There are many instances of this on the READYNAS forum and nothing on the PSU causing this behavior with other machines.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep. In normal computer the behaviour is slightly different (you have to cycle manually), but here as it is embedded linux system with no graphics output you have no idea whats going on inside, most likely it is restarting till the caps get warm and finally boots. And when replacing PSU helps, what else could it be. Just look inside, we'll see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Behemot View Post
    Yep. In normal computer the behaviour is slightly different (you have to cycle manually), but here as it is embedded linux system with no graphics output you have no idea whats going on inside, most likely it is restarting till the caps get warm and finally boots. And when replacing PSU helps, what else could it be. Just look inside, we'll see.
    OK thanks. This is my first experience with a PSU problem with an embedded Linux system.

By the way, how do you refer to the delayed boot?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Delayed boot?

Usually there is just 12-19 V brick and some DC-DC switchers inside the NAS, it is somewhat surrising they opted for SFX unit here, but why not.