Thread: Constant unexpected shutdowns

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Constant unexpected shutdowns

Hi I have been having a lot of unexpected shutdown problems recently. They happen at all times including: during normal use after the computer has been on for a long time, during start up, three times in 15 minutes after using the computer for only 5 minutes and loads of other times. It has all been happening within the last few months. I have tried removing removing components to see if it is a power issue but it still shuts down with no CD drive, additional graphics card and half normal RAM. I have made sure no sleep options are in place, no power saving mode is active and all drivers are up to date at the best of my knowledge. I used memtest three times with different memory variations and it reported no errors on any of the times. I did a windows memory check as well to be safe, and also a windows check on all three of my hard drives with no significant errors.

I bought a new power supply (corsair CX850M) and besides how much louder it is, it seemed to be working fine until another shutdown. This one was a lot different though as it would not start again after multiple start ups. I would press the power button and it would instantly turn off around 8 times. I'm thinking maybe a motherboard component is causing the problems but I have no idea how to test for it other than just buying a new one.

Once it shutdown I checked on the inside of the case to see if anything was hot and two components were. Two large metal pieces around the CPU were incredibly hot to the touch. One piece says gigabyte in large letters and the other says ultra durable. I'll find and image to give a better idea. It is the gigabyte ga x58a-ud3r rev2.

http://images.bit-tech.net/content_i...A-UD3R-6-l.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

In your advanced system settings, under startup and recovery, make sure "automatically restart" isn't checked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

And those two hot pieces you're talking about are the CPU VRM heatsinks. They can get pretty hot, but... That leads me to ask what kind of CPU cooling do you have and what fans are installed in your case?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey jonny, I have a large top tower fan and for the CPU a massive 6 inch metal double stacked heat sink with an attached fan. When I unplug the fan the heatsink starts heating up straight away and when the fan is on its nice and cool at all times.

I have been monitoring the core temps for weeks now and have never been higher than 50 degrees. Never had this problem before in the 5 years ive had the exact same set up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

Like I said: Make sure "automatically reboot" is off so we can see if there are any BSODs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey jonny, yes automatic reboot is off, just had another shutdown after new power supply was making a lot more noise that usual, very high pitched. Couldn't start the PC again, as soon as I pressed the power button the power supply would make a loud noise then turn off straight away (this is the new power supply). Put my old one in and its working now after two shutdowns.

I replaced some of the cables including the three way converter type cable that connects the case fans to the power supply but the problem still continues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

If those VRMs are feeling THAT HOT then maybe that motherboard has seen better days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Would there have been error messages or blue screens if it was an overheating issue? never had any blue screens just instant turn off, and error messages are all just unexpected shutdown.

If I need to get a new motherboard, is there anywhere you recommend looking for info? I know you do a lot of reviews on PSU etc but not motherboards.

Thanks for all the help.