Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [EU] Something quiet (silent), yet not too expensive for a GTX 970

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Leijonasisu View Post
    I looked at that case but I couldn't really find anywhere to buy it within the EU
    In Europe you can get it from QuietPC, or under the badges InWin BUC 101 or InWin BUC 666.

This seems a bit loud however and it totally contradicts the other review imo. 900rpm shouldn't really amount to 36dBA on a 140mm fan...
    Their "noise floor" is too high, that's why you see such figures.

So would you recommend the be quiet! strongly over the super flower?
    The Super Flower Leadex is indeed a better unit than the BeQuiet: but whether quietness is mandatory, I prefer the BeQuiet, as semi-passive unit are more prone to overheating, and so their fan usually kick in at a louder level and above all their fan controller is more complex, so more prone to annoying defects/issues.

Take also note that the Super Flower is sold also under the badge of EVGA G2 (550 and 650), with a supposedly better warranty and customer service (though CaseKing is an excellent supplier).

Said that, you don't need the 600 or 650W units, it's just a waste of money.

P.S. I'm surprised what you said about Seasonic. JohnnyGuru gave them a 9.4/10 for their fanless 520W. Though like I said I did read one person complain about an annoying humming sound that it made. The Super Flower 500W fanless got a 9/10. I linked to both reviews on JG in my OP.
    Oklahoma Wolf cares about other qualities than just silence: but a fanless unit is meant to be silent.

Just with reference to that, the Seasonic Platinum (XP2/FL2) is clearly not preferable to the fanless Super Flower PSUs (430 & 500), though the Golden Silent is an older platform and so slightly lower performing (but still an excellent unit): here you can give a look to various whining complaints about Seasonic units.
    Best, Luca

2. The Following User Says Thank You to quest for silence For This Useful Post:

Leijonasisu (06-24-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seasonic whining problems *should* be fixed, problem may only be with older stock.

Also there is the Enermax Digifanless, however it probably does not fall under the "not insanely expensive". Tgough I have a sample from review I am willing to sell cheaper as it is only covered by 2year warranty from myself, but I guess shipping would be killer?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Behemot View Post
    Seasonic whining problems *should* be fixed
    How come, Pavel? Did they change the 5VSB rail? Did they solve their QC issues? Did they do anything different?
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been told so. From what I understand there have actually been much more revisions than just speeding the fan for example in the G series, but almost nobody is aware of that. And true is I have not seen many complaints in last like 6 months? So I think it is solved.

As for these passive (or another high-end) units, you have to take in mind often they do not sell too much so one batch may sit on stock for half a year or full year. It is good to check manufacturing date when you encounter such problem. Also when one person returns the unit because of whining, do you think the seller sends it to Seasonic? I guess not. I think they try to sell it to somebody else. So it circulates for so long as finally somebody keeps the unit (e. g. somebody with noisy PC who do not even notice some whining in all the noise).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quest you say that spending even €10 more on the be quiet! 600W over the 500W is a waste.. But I don't understand why.. The 600W has higher limit. Fans ramp up when they get closer to the limit. So if I had a 600W PSU wouldn't my usage be less of a percent (and thus the fan would be slower)? Whereas if I had the 500W I'd be using a larger percentage of the PSUs capability (and the fan would be higher (louder))?

€10 really isn't that much.

Though if you really think that the 500W PSU would be enough and you're telling me to save even that €10 because you don't think it's worth it. Then wouldn't the fanless Super Flower be better because well.. it's fanless and runs at a max of 50°C and could still probably support 2x GTX 970s in SLI?

I'm really so confused now and I have no idea what PSU to get... I definitely won't be getting the seasonic though. I can't do anything about metal whine, but at least I can turn fans down or remove them completely.

Btw I already bought the Fractal Define R5, so getting another case isn't an option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quest you say that spending even €10 more on the be quiet! 600W over the 500W is a waste.. But I don't understand why.. The 600W has higher limit. Fans ramp up when they get closer to the limit.
    Broadly speaking, no: mainly fans ramp up driven by internal temperature, the limiting factors are the fan speed curve and the fan controller voltage "slope" (just for the sake of talking, there are some PSUs which use load level as a factor, but AFAIK they are mostly digital ones, and IIRC they somewhat adjust the voltage slope: Jon, can't you say anything about such units?).

Within the same platform and series efficiency is about the same, so temperature won't change (a 600W isn't cooler than a 500W, the driving factor is the power draw, which is given): on the other hand, the E10 600W uses a faster fan than the 400 & 500W siblings.

E10 500W CM fan:

E10 600W CM fan:

So, as far as I know, there's no reason the 600W should be quieter than the 500W, likely it's true the opposite.

Definitely, IMO even just 10 euros more are at least a waste of money (there's a chance the 600W is also a touch louder, though still quiet).

and could still probably support 2x GTX 970s in SLI?
    Given you won't OC, here some real life data: while gaming with a GTX 970 SLI pair, a rig would draw some W less than 400W using a 4.8GHz Core i7, so with a not oc'ed Intel CPU it should draw some W less (maybe 10-20W less? I didn't checked).

Do you think that, for instance, a 450W high quality unit cannot safely supply, to say, 370W (~82% of 450W)? And what about a 500W one (~74% of the rated power)?

Obviously, with reference to benching/stress testing, those figures may vary noticeably, nonetheless I hope you'll get my point.

I'm really so confused now and I have no idea what PSU to get
    Personally I'd pick a 500W unit, either the E10, if you (royal you) aim at a "not too expensive" option, or the Golden Silent, for some additional (but likely unmotivated) peace of mind: you (royal you) may still pick a 600W or more PSU, but it's a not rational option.
    Best, Luca

8. The Following User Says Thank You to quest for silence For This Useful Post:

Leijonasisu (06-24-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I would like safe room to OC really. It would always be nice to have that potential there rather than have to buy another PSU to get more bang for my buck. OCing would mean that I could push some of my components a bit if I needed rather than wish I had spent more money on components.

The CPU I will be using is an i5-4690k. I'd like to run it at around 4.3GHz if it is quiet enough. It depends though. I want a quiet system but I want a powerful one. I know that sounds stupid and contradictory but still, it is somewhat possible without my tower turning into a hairdyer. It's not like I am going to run it at those speeds all the time anyway.

That's what a PSU calculator shows me running the above i5 with 1 GTX 970. The shown wattage is when 100% of the system is under load with a 4.3GHz overclock on the CPU.

It's dangerously close to the max rated output of a 500W unit and gives no indication that I could remotely run an SLI setup at all. I know almost all situations won't cause that much of a pull from the PSU but it still makes me a bit nervous.

Adding another GTX 970 it gives:
    Minimum PSU Wattage: 578 W
    Recommended: 628 W

(This is whilst at 100% full draw).

I'm still leaning towards that 600W. Maybe it won't be 'silent' but hopefully at the bottom of the Fractal Design R5 it won't really be audible. Though if I end up OCing AND getting a SLI setup. I'd have to go for a minimum of a 'good' 700W PSU.

So I'll settle for no SLI (it's not like I can afford it really any way) and just go for a good, quiet PSU that can run an OC'd i5-4690k at ~4.3GHz and a single GTX 970 stable.

Sorry for all the back and forth nonsense

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's what a PSU calculator shows me running the above i5 with 1 GTX 970
    PSU calculators are random bullshits generators, nothing more.

11. The shown wattage is when 100% of the system is under load with a 4.3GHz overclock on the CPU.
    That shown wattage is a groundless figure without any tiny bit of truth inside.

100% load is a non-sense: what is a 100% load? Did you do some research?

It doesn't matter, for the sake of talking let's make some examples.

OCCT a 4690K at 4.3GHz is 100% load: according to Anandtech should be 154W AC for the whole rig, so maybe 130-135W DC. FurMark with an overclocked EVGA GTX 970 SC is 100% GPU load: according to TechPowerUp! is 178W DC. The sum should be less than 313W DC for 100% CPU plus 100% GPU for the whole rig. How many times that occurs? In real life, never (unless you're purposedly stress testing the rig, of course).

Well, now let's draw the line. How many watts that calculator put out? 487W? Versus 313W? When you already maxed out CPU and GPU power draw, which other piece of equipment is absorbing power? The keyboard?

Obviously different cards may draw a tad different power, but as I said, those calculators are just bullshits generators: definitely you're getting nervous for some bullshits.

So I'll settle for no SLI (it's not like I can afford it really any way) and just go for a good, quiet PSU that can run an OC'd i5-4690k at ~4.3GHz and a single GTX 970 stable
    Any *high quality" 400W unit is more than enough, by far. Trust that.
    You won't find so many high quality 400W PSUs, but there are enough 500W units around (which incidentally is enough power for a SLI pair).

Anyway, if you're feeling more comfortable spending more money, pick any really quiet 750W unit like the Corsair RM750i and live long and prosper.
    Best, Luca

11. The Following User Says Thank You to quest for silence For This Useful Post:

Leijonasisu (06-24-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you so much Luca.

I just bought the Corsair RM750i.

I'm confident that it will stfu unless absolutely necessary and that I have a huge amount of headroom for upgrades in the future. No fan @ idle, 750W and a 7 year warranty was what pretty much sold me in the end.

Really seriously thanks a lot. Looks like I won't need to hopefully buy another PSU for a long time. Generally I don't really like Corsair and I tend to avoid their products but I read enough glowing reviews and I trust your decision.

Two huge thumbs up from me mate!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thank you so much Luca.
    You're welcome, and enjoy your upcoming build!
    Best, Luca