Thread: Replacing old PSU - new GPU GTX 750 Ti w/ACX Cooling

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Replacing old PSU - new GPU GTX 750 Ti w/ACX Cooling

7 year old system (specs below). Recently returned a bad HD so also returned my old 8800 GTS, which was leaving behind bits of pull down menus even though it functioned in games. EVGA replaced with GTX 750 Ti w/ATX Cooling.

Received both pieces the same day so installed and began the tedious task of updating 7+ years of Vista updates. I generally leave my PC on so was on for 24 hours (about half that idle time). The next night I shut it down. The next morning, after the BIOS and before the welcome, the PC lost power. Gone.

After a couple of weeks of trying to isolate the problem, I discovered it was 2 things - a dead GPU 6pin and a dead sound card. Both had worked prior to this. I pulled out the sound card and plugged in my other 6(+2) connection from the PSU and everything works. But now I'm afraid to turn it on again!

First the specs:
    Mobo Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L BIOS F7 (2008 or 2009)
    CPU Intel Core2 Quad Q6700
    Zerotherm CPU Fan
    2x2G Crucial Ballistix
    1T Seagate Barracuda 7200
    DVD Burner
    DVD Player
    Hauppauge TV Tuner
    USB Keyboard & Mouse
    8 spot USB Hub
    3 case fans

Current PSU: PC P&C 610W Silencer

I've contacted Gigabyte & EVGA regarding this issue and get it's (new GPU) incompatible/it should work but nothing definitive. The old mobo of course isn't UEFI, which I'm told is okay as long as it POSTs. But, if I understand it correctly, that is actually when it went wrong earlier. The gist is that I'm not 100% that it's the PSU but am thinking of replacing it just to play it safe and then hope the GPU isn't responsible!

I can't afford to replace the parts right now because I'd have to replace nearly everything, including the OS. I've already invested about $40 from the expense of shipping my defective parts under warranty, so looking for a PSU - not top end and not garbage - that will hopefully work. At some point in the future I'll update to something like the i5-4590, new Mobo and 2x4G RAM but my calculations show the new products shouldn't need any more wattage because of efficiency. The new GPU usage is much lower than the old 8800. I'm thinking 550W. Would 500W work with these specs as well as anticipated update?

The real issue, other than cost, is my case. I have the Antec P182SE case - full sized with the power at the bottom and the CPU connection at the top. I had to install the PC P&C upside down. So I need a PSU with a long CPU connection. Additionally, the new PSUs have the fan on top, which means if I have to turn it upside down, I'll have to get a modular because my unused cables are stored under the PSU unit.

I had a thread going at Tom's but I got taken out of the discussion when a war over the quality of Corsair was heatedly debated and I hadn't even suggested Corsair! I don't mind someone telling me a PSU isn't good if they tell me why and if the discussion still includes me and my needs.

I was looking at Antec (thought since my case was Antec the cables would fit) but have added Corsair (Newegg has some good deals/rebates right now), Cooler Master and whatever else similar. Thoughts? Suggestions? THX!

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by columbia93 View Post
    Would 500W work with these specs as well as anticipated update?
    I think with a 4590 and a 750 you should expect around a 150W power draw at most.

So I need a PSU with a long CPU connection.
    Or just a few dollars PSU extension cable.

Thoughts? Suggestions? THX!
    Personally I'd go for any high quality PSU with 400-450W (because lower power units are not widely available and very often not economically convenient) while, about cable lenght, you may compare your own with published data (by JonnyGuru or any other reputable source): Corsair doesn't have one (set aside the RM and CS series, which offer some questionable e-caps), CM has the V450S (several revision, but I think it's not available in USA), Antec should offer their True Power Classic (which is a Seasonic G). Higher powered units are more common, like various Seasonic-based units, the CM V550S, the EVGA 550 G2 and GS 550 (the G2 is better), while likely a bargain are the last Rosewill Capstone (I mean the original ones, not the freshly released Capstone-G), which I saw around 40 USD recently.

You may also give a look to this quick'n'dirty NewEgg's selection.
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I were you, I would make an investment in the PSU now.
    The 550 G2 that quest for silence mentioned is an excellent PSU. It's 90 bucks so gonna hurt if you're on low budget but you get what you pay for. Also has a 7 yr warranty.

It's the little brother of the 650 G2 that was recently reviewed on here. Inside it's a Super Flower Leadex platform, all good caps, heck of a nice fan profile for quiet computing and so on. Really low ripple, excellent voltage stability, meet's the efficiency it needs to easily.
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=429

I gotta say you got a nice upgrade with the 750 Ti coming from 8800 GTS. 750 Ti offers the same level of performance that of the GTX 480

Of course a 550W power supply is seriously overkill for a 750 Ti + i5.
    The 750 Ti alone only pulls ~50-70W under Metro: Last Light 1920x1080 load.
    quest for silence figure of 150W is a little bit more than what I would say.
    Not sure if you meant DC or AC.

Muropaketti's 750 Ti test rig had a stock i7-3770K and the system power draw under Battlefield 3 load was 111W from the wall.
    The PSU used was a Silverstone Strider Gold 750W, not sure if the orignal or S Series. Definitely not Evo.
    So maybe ~82-83% efficiency for that kind of load, or 91-92W DC.

If you don't care for modularity you could consider the G-360. The fan controller is aggressive but that low of a power draw I don't think it would be a big problem. Especially if you have at least a decent airflow across your system.

I myself bought a G-360 for my gf's computer to replace a POS Arena ANP-405A12. I got irritated with the noise it made.
    The system has a Phenom X4 9650 oc'd, GTS 450 and so on. Case is old with the PSU mount up top and no spot for a intake fan. I need to upgrade the case at somepoint.

Anyway, great conditions for the G-360 to ramp up it's fan. I don't actually know how loud it is since it get's drowned out by the Zalman heatsink's 92mm fan.
    At least it's heck of a lot quieter than the previous PSU which I could clearly hear ~3m across the room to my desk with the computer inside a uhm hole/shelf/opening on the desk for a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    Or just a few dollars PSU extension cable.
    This +100

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by lagittaja View Post
    quest for silence figure of 150W is a little bit more than what I would say.
    It was a ballpark figure: I was thinking to Linpack+Furmark, with low speed/quiet cooling (the higher heathing will increase overall power draw just a further bit more).
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Higher powered units are more common, like various Seasonic-based units, the CM V550S, the EVGA 550 G2 and GS 550 (the G2 is better), while likely a bargain are the last Rosewill Capstone (I mean the original ones, not the freshly released Capstone-G), which I saw around 40 USD recently.
    The Enhance-made CM V550 Semi-modular and the Superflower-made EVGA 550 G2, would also be my choices.
    P.S. The recently reviewed by JG, EVGA650 G2 ( http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=429 ), at only 100$, is an excellent value for money option
    CPU:Athlon 64 FX60 (2-cores) 2,6GHz
    Mobo:Asrock 939a785g
    cpu cooler:ArcticFreezer13 CO
    RAM:4 GB DDR 400MHz
    GPU:Asus 750 Ti 2GB
    PSU:Seasonic Platinum 660
    Monitor:Asus VE228HR
    Tower:Coolermaster Elite 430

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Someone on another post suggested the Rosewill Capstone 550. It isn't modular but the cables are long so I might be able to install top up and hide the unused underneath, like I do now. I read a really good review of it on HardwareLogic. It has a 5-7 yr warranty - both are listed on Newegg! Plus, right now Newegg is offering a $30 MIR.

I've used the PSU calculators before and get between 350-400W, depending how thorough it is. (Extreme takes into account basically everything in my PC - 400W with current and around 390W if I upgrade like I want.) The recommendation is 500W, but I'm hoping the 550 isn't too much - good deal on the Rosewill and leaves me wiggle room if I ever decide to add anything else.

Thank you to everyone who wrote in. I have a hard time making decisions and every comment does help to narrow it down.

cheapie is offline That weird furry girl they warned you about
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Someone on another post suggested the Rosewill Capstone 550.
    I'd agree with that. It's made by Super Flower, as far as I can tell, and a review I found on this site of the 750W version showed that it performs very well. 550W is probably overkill, but it's not like that will hurt anything, and it's often hard to find smaller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've used the PSU calculators before and get between 350-400W
    PSU calculators are just random bullshits generators.
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts

PSU calculators are just random bullshits generators.
    +1 so true