load with hair dryer, stable at 338 watt
    got 15,7 minutes for 1 battery
    and 28,4 minutes for 2 batteries

the web chart
    1 battery = 44,3 minutes
    2 batteries = 190 minutes

i don't know how APC got the 190 minutes
    but i'm really disappointed with my 28,4 minutes result vs APC 190 minutes

i will buy new battery later and update again later..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Just add your own batteries

It's particularly easy on those models with an external Anderson SB50 connector like you have, but you can do it with any.

The basic rule of thumb is that if a UPS has a fan, then you can connect external batteries to it. Small fanless models depend on the batteries running out before they overheat.

Don't bother paying APC's prices for small absorbed glass mat batteries, and go and buy a few large deep-cycle marine batteries. Connect them in series-parallel and plug in the connector.

If you're willing to top them up with distilled water twice a year, non-sealed batteries will last longer than sealed "maintenance-free" ones. (Of course, if you don't want to do that maintenance, the situation is reversed.) An equalizing charge every year or two with a basic car battery charger will also help.

I got some automotive blade fuse holders and stuck a 25A fuse in series with each 24V string. Then connect them in parallel, and connect opposite corners of the parallel strings to the UPS. (The goal here is to equalize resistance drops in the wire.)

I recall that I dug around a bit and found out how to send commands via the serial port. (It's not something that APC are super forthcoming about, but I found the info eventually. The serial port is more capable than the USB port.) There's one for calibrating the run time which you can use after adding batteries.

I know I got mine up to 10 hours run-time with 8 external batteries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hair dyer is not the right type of load. Use resistive load, light bulb will do. What batteries did you use?

cypherpunks: if you want to add external batteries it always MUST have active cooling. And wet batteries are not good in closed environments as the acid also vaporizes. It needs ventilation. Also consider that very big batteries take very long to charge, sometimes it is not even possible for the weak integrated charger. Smart UPS have powerfull chargers so it is not so much of a problem (but only to a certain degree too).
    Last edited by Behemot; 06-22-2015 at 11:27 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Behemot View Post
    if you want to add external batteries it always MUST have active cooling.
    Yes, I said so: "if a UPS has a fan, then you can connect external batteries to it. Small fanless models depend on the batteries running out before they overheat."

OP's XL model in particular is designed for external batteries, although I've used non-XL APC SmartUPSes with large external battery banks. (Due to a purchasing screq-up.)

And wet batteries are not good in closed environments as the acid also vaporizes. It needs ventilation.
    Good point, although I've never had a problem in a space well enough ventilated to cool a computer.

The one time it becomes an issue is if equalizing the batteries. which is a deliberate overcharge for an hour or so. This really stinks. (And must be followed by replacing the lost water.)

Also consider that very big batteries take very long to charge, sometimes it is not even possible for the weak integrated charger.
    Actually, thanks to the simple constant-voltage charging algorithm of lead-acid batteries, even a very small charger can charge a very large battery eventually.

Yes, the UPS will take days to fully charge. That's usually not a problem.

(Another trick is to get a cheap car battery charger and charge them manually if the batteries are really drained. A power outage that long is rare.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

non xl smart ups still charge the battery really fast compare to generic ups (5 times faster)
    i cannot use wet battery, use it inside closed room
    cannot find marines battery too here

so i stuck with apc battery

the good news would be, i tried to reduce the load now, hope the electric bills goind down next month

and learn new things about the ups