Thread: Anybody with experience repairing those damn Enermax units refusing to turn on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anybody with experience repairing those damn Enermax units refusing to turn on?

Frankly I don't get so many units refusing to turn on from any other manufacturer than Enermax which I cannot repair. Ppl often do not care about warranty papers believing Enermax won't die, why bother? yet they are dropping like flies. And I am tralking about high-end units beginning with Liberty-spinoffs to Revolution 87+. Enermax stoped RMAing unless you have some paper in hand, wonder how much of their loss for last 5 years is because of RMA'd units. Many of these go bad between 4th-5th year.

Anyway, in most cases the problem is it refuses to start. Often it just twitches the fan, units with after-cooling than spin the fan for another minute before turning off. Latest one is MODU 87+ (EMG500AWT) which does nothing at all up shorting PWR_On, roughly 5 years old.

It was never bad power silicon, never capacitors, I always got +5 V SB and PWR_On voltage as they should be. Problem is probably somewhere around the monitor, feedback or driving circuitry, but where Anybody has any idea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Glue that got conductive?

Maybe try to measure the inputs from the monitoring IC to see which protection gets triggered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is no chloroprene glue for many years, if something than Enermax used silicon after that experience with Liberty.

Forgot to mention, monitor is Silicon Touch PS231. There is no protection kicking in, it does not even react on the PWR On signal.

I am not in the workplace ATM but I'll first check whether it even gets Vcc and if so than the fault protection output pin (FPO/Open Drain Digital Output). Seems that this one also makes the power on output to tell the rest of the circuitry to start working

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

had one Enermax in the past, several years ago, that didn't start. I couldn't, for the world, make it operate again. I even sent it to a lab to take a look at, because I was really curious to find out the problem, and they couldn't do anything with it.