Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38

Thread: Preview: Antec Earthwatts Platinum 550 W – the cheapest platinum unit?

  1. #21
    quest for silence's Avatar
    quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    3,353
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,037
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Or is the problem still there but just less frequent because of the better cap quality.
    So a "jap" cap IS a solution: don't you agree?
    Best, Luca

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,642
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    391
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    194
    Thanked in
    148 Posts

    Default

    Not if the problem isn't gone, but just less frequent. That's why I asked what the real problem was. Jonny said before that they failed inside a CX, but never give us the reason why it failed. He failed to give us the real reason.

    And if it was just a bad batch, then every other cap brand would also be fine.

    If the problem is gone it doesn't mean you've found the answer.
    Last edited by -The_Mask-; 07-26-2015 at 05:51 PM.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    jonnyGURU forums, of course!
    Posts
    16,829
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    567
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    497
    Thanked in
    370 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    That's hardly a "marketing bullet-point". The whole table defines what caps are Japanese across the entire product line. Look at the CX product page, the box or any of the retail listings for it. It's not even mentioned.

    Like I've said over and over... the primary caps failed. I don't know why because I wasn't there when it happened. But I questioned why Japanese caps were used in CX PSUs when it wasn't defined in the MRD (marketing requirement definition). Engineering told me that there was a larger than normal number of failures of the primary caps (greater than 1%). They switched the caps out and now failures of that particular type are near 0%.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

    ehume (07-26-2015)

  5. #24
    cheapie's Avatar
    cheapie is offline That weird furry girl they warned you about
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Earth, I think
    Posts
    338
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    28
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    There's actually a video of a CX V2 with smoke pouring out of the primary cap somewhere on YouTube, but I can't find it right now. Essentially, the dielectric caught fire. Pretty scary.
    This one?

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,642
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    391
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    194
    Thanked in
    148 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Like I've said over and over... the primary caps failed. I don't know why because I wasn't there when it happened.
    You say over and over that the primary cap quality is important but you can't tell why. It still looks that it isn't important (and it probably isn't).

    You can't say it is important because you have seen some failures, but don't know the reason of the failures. That's just bullshit.

    That's like saying Corsair PSU's suck because you had a whole pallet of PSU's that was fallen down from a forklift, and 50% was dead.

    Now you're saying that the primary cap quality is imported because you've seen some failures in the CX series. But you don't know the reason of the failures. It could be a bad batch of capacitors. It could also be that it had the wrong specs. Or a problem in the PSU. And there are probably a whole lot more reasons to come up with.

    As I already said, if the problem is gone, it doesn't mean you have found the problem.

  7. #26
    quest for silence's Avatar
    quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    3,353
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,037
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    You can't say it is important because you have seen some failures, but don't know the reason of the failures. That's just bullshit.
    I don't get your point of view: whether the goal is to achieve a return rate below (to say) 3%, whether you achieve that goal with a primary "jap" cap, whether you don't achieve that goal with a CapXon, the "jap" cap IS a solution, from an engineering standpoint that's a solution, period.
    Best, Luca

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,642
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    391
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    194
    Thanked in
    148 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    I don't get your point of view
    I noticed.
    whether the goal is to achieve a return rate below (to say) 3%, whether you achieve that goal with a primary "jap" cap, whether you don't achieve that goal with a CapXon, the "jap" cap IS a solution, from an engineering standpoint that's a solution, period.
    That's not the solution from an engineer, but more from some one that doesn't know what he is doing. (not saying that the engineers don't know what they are doing)

    It looks like they saw many primary cap failures put a better quality cap in there and the problem is gone. So the problem must be the low quality of the cap, but that doesn't have to be the reason. If it was the reason then it should happen with other PSU's, but afaik it doesn't.

    If you buy three Corsair PSU's and they are all dead because they fell from a forklift, and then one EVGA and that one works like it should. Then that doesn't mean that EVGA delivers much better quality of has a better quality control. But I'm starting to repeat myself...

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:

    sith'ari (07-27-2015)

  10. #28
    quest for silence's Avatar
    quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    3,353
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,037
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    I noticed.
    But you probably didn't get me, also.

    All in all, "quality" is just a word (you might give a read to "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance", if you like): from an engineering standpoint you want that a PSU delivers the rated power within specs with an enough low failure rate.

    Whether with a "jap" cap you can achieve that goal, though that PSU were hypothetically a wrongly engineered one, then it would be a straightforward solution, way more cost effective than changing QC procedures or analyzing/re-designing the PSU.
    Best, Luca

  11. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,642
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    391
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    194
    Thanked in
    148 Posts

    Default

    That could be true, but is a different discussion.

  12. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,700
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    116
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    The way I see it, there may or may not be a design flaw in CX causing the issue, and better quality cap may or may not be just workaround, not actually fixing the underlying issue. But it's CWT's job, not Corsair's to find it. As CWT's client, all Corsair needs to know is that with better cap incidence goes significantly down.

    from an engineering standpoint you want that a PSU delivers the rated power within specs with an enough low failure rate.
    No, that's actually CLIENT's standpoint, like I just mentioned above. Engineering stanpoint is to find whether there is other underlying issue, or whether it's just a capacitor thing. But again, from client's standpoint it's irrelevant, when there is a workaround, which might also be an actual fix.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to rafal_iB_PL For This Useful Post:

    sith'ari (07-27-2015)

Similar Threads

  1. Antec EarthWatts Platinum 750W Power Supply Review@[H]
    By sith'ari in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-11-2015, 09:02 PM
  2. Antec Earthwatts Platinum Fan Profile?
    By Tator Tot in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-28-2012, 04:33 PM
  3. Antec Earthwatts Platinum 650w Review @ HWS
    By Tator Tot in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-04-2012, 01:19 PM
  4. Antec EarthWatts Platinum 650W @ TPU
    By yojo2 in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-27-2012, 11:23 AM
  5. SeaSonic's first 80+ Platinum unit? :O
    By Shadowww in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-25-2011, 08:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •