Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: best socket 775 motherboard?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you don't need SLI, the Bad Axe2 is hard to beat, if your budget allows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by procreate View Post
    how does the BX2 have 2x 16 slots next to each other... its a 16x PCIe, an "empty" slot [no slot], and an 8x PCIe... or am i missing something? then again, i dont run crossfire... the second slot stays empty so far, and have a passively cooled VC in there. the machine is QUIET!!!

i havent had issue with mine yet [knock on wood] using the corsair dominator RAM. looking at the mushkin xp RAM however for the D9 IC's and lower profile.

what RAM were you using that you were having issues with?
    The second slot is a "x16 format" slot that runs at x8 capacity, whereas the first slot is a x16 format slot that usually runs at x16 capacity. The second crossfire board would go into the second slot, which is relatively close to the first one. In the new SLI boards that are popular right now, there is a third slot between them which means that both cards have more "room to breathe" (as long as you dont put another hot card in the middle slot anyway.)

About the BX2 being finicky about RAM, that is (as I stated in the beginning of my original post) a genral impression "based entirely on reading lots of reviews and forums" and not on firsthand experience with any of the boards I mentioned. The folks at the G.skill forum specifically told me that they do not expect their "PQ" series to work with it, because of bad results when they tested with the Bad Axe 1, even though, as far as I could tell, it meets all the basic requirements. The combination would not even post, they reported. I have also read that it only supports a fairly low range of voltages (within which the PQ should be OK).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hmmm. yeah. the 16x and 8x work off the NB. the other PCI 4x is on the SB. i would have imagined between the 16x and 8x would be enough room but you would certainly lose the PCI slot next to it. i dont run dual cards so it wouldnt be an issue for me. i see now what you are referring to, they are all PCIe 16x but run electrically at 16x, 8x/8x, and 4x.

what are considered low voltage ranges? im running 2.1V here... the board BIOS allows 1.8-2.8V, although i cant imagine running 2.8V.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what are considered low voltage ranges? im running 2.1V here... the board BIOS allows 1.8-2.8V, although i cant imagine running 2.8V.
    According to the Tested Memory page it requires 1.8 and 1.9V memory. You have managed to exceed that it seems. Perhaps a BIOS update superseded this?

The P5W64WS has 4 PCIe x16 slots--only the first one can run at x16 but two of the others can run at x8--there is some semi-involved formula that determines the speed--can't remember how it plays out. A few reviewers have messed around with filling all four slots with video. Now I imagine that would get pretty hot! Silly, but kinda fun to think about. Anyway there is some room to keep the two cards apart. I am not that interested in either crossfire or SLI anymore--seems to be more trouble than its worth (at least for me) no matter what board.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i am thinking of getting a blackmagic decklink HD video board for the 8x PCIe slot...

ah, it starts at 1.8v, timings on memory were more relaxed [5-5-5-18]... the corsair are set to run @ 2.1V/4-4-4-12... so i switched that in the bios [manual, user doesnt work] to bring it up to the memory spec.

all this is such a gaming thing i think, but im looking to see how i can push audio/video apps tweaking the machine more. not trying to OC anything, just run it at spec i guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

how does the BX2 have 2x 16 slots next to each other... its a 16x PCIe, an "empty" slot [no slot], and an 8x PCIe... or am i missing something?
    You missed something. This was a big pain in my ass:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1017

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ah, how did that MSI board work for ya... i see now how far apart those slots are. i only need one video card so the BX2 hasnt been an issue, and only running a 7600GS passively cooled. the other slots will fill up with higher end sound cards and dsp cards.

sorry to hear things went so badly with that board. no videocards that used that extra PCI slot to vent out the backside? or is that what you had and still got the secondary card hot?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

It didn't. I didn't bother. But I can see how the MSI board allows the maximum performance of Crossfire with the same chipset, without the cards overheating and with a more feature rich board.

That said, why WOULDN'T the MSI board be better over all than the Intel board? It's not like I've experienced lower RMA rates with Intel motherboards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what did you end up doing then? still using the BX2? that msi had like 4 pci slots between the two didnt it? 2 PCIe 1x inbetween it looked like.

i have been wondering about that 4-1 molex as well for the video. i have mine hooked up [although seriously doubt i need it]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    It didn't. I didn't bother. But I can see how the MSI board allows the maximum performance of Crossfire with the same chipset, without the cards overheating and with a more feature rich board.

That said, why WOULDN'T the MSI board be better over all than the Intel board? It's not like I've experienced lower RMA rates with Intel motherboards.
    From what I have read, the MSI board looks to have very impressive feature set, good layout and (potentially) to overclock nicely. It also seems to have some unresolved BIOS issues, though. I am strongly inclining towards the Asus P5B. This had plenty of issues too, at one point, but (from what I can tell) Asus actually seems to have solved most of the important ones in the latest revisions. Also, it is the only board for which I have seen builds using the G.skill 2x2GB memory kits, although G.skill identifies several others that they claim to have tested sucessfully. Interestingly, there seems to be a new "Vista Edition" of the P5B (and three other Asus boards). I don't know enough about it yet to have an opinion whether the extra stuff in the VE is useful or is just blingy junk.