Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best socket 775 motherboard?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default best socket 775 motherboard?

Is there a general consensus as to the 'best' one?

And to add whilst your at it, to the socket AM2?

One day I am going to upgrade my asus a8n-sli premium, but am just waiting for prices to fall, prohibitive at the moment.

I use it for multipurpose...games, internet and applications.

It doesn't have to be sli.

I quite like AMD processors, works fine, but the consensus now seems to be with conroe?

The asus board is ok, but doesn't like nvidia ntune at all, its never run properly, but could be other hardware.

So...775 or AM2 and which is the 'best' board, and that doesn't ness. mean dearest.

if there is such a thing...overall..price, performance, layout, stability reliability, etc...tall order

Any other suggestions welcome

thanks....
    Last edited by ianm2; 02-19-2007 at 10:32 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Asus P5B Deluxe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't even have to get hte Deluxe, the P5B - E has all the power underneath it.
    G0 Q6600 @ 3.4Ghz | P5W-DH | 4GB Ballistix 8500 | HD2900XT | Auzentech Prelude w/ Sennheiser HD280pro | Custom Lian Li PC75B w/ Psone LCD | BenQ FP241W 24" LCD | ULTRA X3 1000W

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

s775:
    Asus P5B-Deluxe/Wifi Ap
    Asus Commando

AM2:
    Asus Crosshair ?
    [ Soltek SL-75JV // AMD Athlon XP 1460 MHz (13x112) 1.65v // 896MB SDRAM 145MHz 2-2-2-6// FX5200 AGP4x// S-B X-Fi // Quantum Fireball 40GB hdd 4500rpm // 250 W psu ] R.I.P.
    current pc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am interested in the same question.

Here is my thinking about Intel cpu boards, based entirely on reading lots of reviews and forums(not on ownership or personal experience, so take that into account):

There is no best. Every brand of board made has some issues, and all of them vary in quality and compatibility with other components, so some people have very bad experiences with the same boards that work like a charm for others.

The Asus P5B Deluxe and ASUS P5W DH Deluxe seem like the "safest" options, that are still fast and will work with most of the fancy new hardware that is around. Both overclock well, and seem pretty stable. Both have been around for a while so their have been many BIOS revisions that seem to have solved the most serious early problems. There are a lot of reviews and discussions about both boards so it is pretty easy to figure out what other parts work well (or don't) with them, and how to set them up, and a lot of experienced people to ask for advice if you run into problems.

It is actually seems little difficult to find a good reason to prefer one over the other. The P5B is based on the newer P965 chipset, which was intended as a midrange, less expensive solution, and the P5W DH is based on the 975X chipset, which is a bit older but targeted at the high-end "enthusiast" buyers. The only really important (to me) differences that I could identify were that the P5B costs a little less, and includes a better (newer) SATA controller, while the P5W DH has a few OC refinement options that are missing from the P5B. Some sites have reported better performance from the P5B and others have reported the about the same, or slightly better from the P5W DH.

The ASUS P5W64WS Pro also seems like an excellent board, except for one serious problem with multiple reboots under certain overclock situations. As far as I know this problem has not been solved by Asus. I haven't found a really clear and complete discussion of the issue yet, so I am not sure. If I were confident that the issue had been resolved I might get this motherboard immediately, since it seems to have a really strong feature set and be very stable, (except for this one pretty serious defect).

The Intel D975XBX2KR seems to have a good reputation for stability and performance as well, although Jonnyguru, the operator of this site, had some serious issues with it--enough for him to start thinking about getting a replacement. This board seems also to be very finicky about RAM.

The champion overclockers appear to be boards based on Nvidia's 680 chipset. There are too many to mention each one, but all of them seem share the quality of being very hit or miss--every board design has enthusiasts and also many angry disappointed owners that could not get their boards to work properly, or at all. This happens with every design to some degree, but it seems to be particularly so with the 680i boards, and new BIOS releases by different manufacturers seem to have only partly solved the many reported problems. When they work properly, though, they seem to be OC demons. They also have the reputation of running very hot.

Some maybe useful links:

P5W DH Deluxe vs P5B Deluxe

Rather critical review of the P5W DH Deluxe, has interesting comparisons with the P5B
    performance comparisons between the P5W DH Deluxe, P5B and P5W64WS
    Out of date, but still useful summary of the main mobo choices as of last summer

Sorry if this post got too long. I am trying to figure out what to get too, so all of this has been very much on my mind lately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm quite fond of the Intel BadaXe2, and the Abit AW9D-MAX.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    I am interested in the same question.

There is no best.

The champion overclockers appear to be boards based on Nvidia's 680 chipset.

Sorry if this post got too long. I am trying to figure out what to get too, so all of this has been very much on my mind lately.
    that's why I put best in quotes, we all know there is no best, yet we still seek it.

not sure if I agree with point 2 based upon what I have read, most seem to say 975 chipsets are only equalled by 680i, at best, and more expensive generally.

It looks like its asus who have picked up dfi's mantle/gauntlet of being the enthusiasts boards of choice with their gamers series btw.

I like long posts....but yea, its certainly a minefield, and an interesting discussion point.
    Last edited by ianm2; 02-19-2007 at 06:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ianm2 View Post
    not sure if I agree with point 2 based upon what I have read, most seem to say 975 chipsets are only equalled by 680i, at best, and more expensive generally
    Hehe maybe so, I am just noting my collective impression based on reading a lot of semi-contradictory stuff. Note my liberal usage of qualifiers like "seems" and "appear to." A lot of what is available online is basically subjective personal prejudice based on experiences with a small number of boards, so it is hard to be sure.

Basically I like the ASUS P5W64WS Pro more than anything else available(4 PCIe x16 slots!), but I it seems to be potentially unreliable unless it is run at completely stock settings. I am not sure if the "multiple reboot" issue is a destructively harmful bug or merely an annoyance, or if Asus plans to fix it or not.

One of the things about Asus that I do not like is their lack of official presence in their own support forums. With popular, well tested and documented boards like the P5B or P5W DH, this is not so much of an issue, as the community base is so large, but with a newer or more specialized motherboards, this makes me wary of Asus products. I would contrast this situation with Abit, which has a large and busy forum with active participation from Abit staff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

What about the MSI 975X Platinum board?

Given the problems I've had w/ the BadAxe2 having it's two x16 slots right next to each other, the MSI seemed like a good alternative.

FYI: the slot order on the 680i boards is 1, 3, 2 so SLI slots are staggered so the cards don't run hot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

how does the BX2 have 2x 16 slots next to each other... its a 16x PCIe, an "empty" slot [no slot], and an 8x PCIe... or am i missing something? then again, i dont run crossfire... the second slot stays empty so far, and have a passively cooled VC in there. the machine is QUIET!!!

i havent had issue with mine yet [knock on wood] using the corsair dominator RAM. looking at the mushkin xp RAM however for the D9 IC's and lower profile.

what RAM were you using that you were having issues with?