Thread: EVGA B2 850w review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default EVGA B2 850w review

Just like to say howdy, decided to poke my head in over here and and possibly interject a comment here and there.

I wanted to make a suggestion for a review, not that you needed any, but it would be nice to see a retail review of the EVGA B2 850w and Corsair CX 850w unit's since the claims on them are so high. Considering the meh results of prior CX models I'm skeptical of the claims on the CX and the B2 850w doesn't seem to have a reputable, or any any other kind of review so far as I can see. I know it's a pared down version of the G2 Golden green platform but considering the B2 750w had a few checkmarks against it, although an outstanding unit, it would be nice to see how the 850w unit rates.

Concerning the CX 850w unit, it seems to have scored exceptionally high for a model series that has traditionally been somewhat lower in quality. As quoted from elsewhere:

wolf seems to have a few marbles missing on the CX850M (Bronze doesn't have a 10% requirement). Unit was staring at a Silver rating until test 5, which was not 100% load, but did miss Wolf's 97% load by 0.137%, which is better than the XFX Core 850's actual 100% load results.

The load regulation on the 12v is not impressive. It survived to 47C but is only rated for 30C, which is horrid. 30C is 86F, which is open window weather for many.

To which was replied:

I think Jonny himself needs to take a look at the CX 850, a retail one, because that seems to be a review unit if it did THAT well in the rigorous tests.

Just a thought for future reference.
    FX-8320@4.5Ghz
    Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    Hyper X 16GB 1866mhz
    EVGA G2 750w
    Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
    CM Storm Enforcer
    Noctua NH-U14S
    5x NF-A15
    Sapphire R9 290x

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkbreeze For This Useful Post:

sith'ari (05-29-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I have 6 EVGA units currently in the pile, and am not too anxious to take on any more until these are done with. The 850W B2 isn't one of them, but the 750W has been reviewed: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=393

That was a retail unit.

My CX750M came from the same source as the CX850M and performed significantly worse with some major build quality issues. Both were review samples, so I'm not sure how anyone could argue Corsair cherry picked them. I personally have no interest in exploring these units any further... they're no longer relevant in the marketplace.

That 750W was almost bad enough to offer them a chance at sending a second sample. I certainly thought about it.

I have been doing 10% load for all reviews for years now. Only recently did I decide to move that load level into the main tests. The 10% efficiency figure is not scored on unless the unit is Titanium.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahoma Wolf For This Useful Post:

sith'ari (05-29-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't take this the wrong way, I totally understand your views, but I'm just wondering how a unit that's in the #1 front page slot of this site for reviews not still be relevant to the marketplace. The review was just posted three days ago, but now the unit's irrelevant? Heh. Maybe I got lost somewhere in between. Can you clarify what you meant. Thanks. BTW, thanks for responding right away. It's rather refreshing to actually get a response from the target audience rather than somebody who "thinks" they have the answers. No offense to other members. I know there is a good deal of PSU related intellect gathered here amongst the various members.
    FX-8320@4.5Ghz
    Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    Hyper X 16GB 1866mhz
    EVGA G2 750w
    Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
    CM Storm Enforcer
    Noctua NH-U14S
    5x NF-A15
    Sapphire R9 290x

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

They may still be out there for sale but the CS line is superior in every way. That's why the CX line is no longer relevant... there's no point buying them when Corsair has better stuff at higher efficiency for similar prices.

The CX units have been in my review pile for a looooong time now. I get to the review units in the order they arrive when I am able to. I'm still backlogged well into August.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahoma Wolf For This Useful Post:

sith'ari (05-29-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
    The CX units have been in my review pile for a looooong time now. I get to the review units in the order they arrive when I am able to. I'm still backlogged well into August.
    I have a solution for you

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...lf-clones.html

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ct1615 For This Useful Post:

Oklahoma Wolf (05-29-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Or you can send some of them my way