Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: High-quality (modern?) PSU for an old PC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What about you read my requirements for high-end first? http://www.hardwareinsights.com/wp/e...n-methodology/ Take your time, it's complicated. Really.

-output filtration coils and capacitors must be present
    -ripple up to 40 % of the ATX specification interval (that is <=20 mV per +5/+3,3 and <=48 mV per +-12 V)

If it pases, why not not. Less caps to go bad and replace, no?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, what are you guys saying, that this Antec SL350, after replacing the capacitors, has great performance, with voltage regulation and ripple suppression and all that other stuff (I don't really understand power supplies that well), and that it's the ultimate choice for a retro PC?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^
    Pretty much. The regulation may not be as good as some modern DC-DC units, but I'm pretty sure that the SL350 (and, of course, SL300 and SL450) does have indy regulation, and I know that they can do the full 350W with everything well in spec (I've load tested a few recapped ones before).
    No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the coils backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess I'll be looking for one of those then Just checked, there are currently none of those locally, but there are a few on ebay. I'll wait for a bit to see if one shows up around here, and if it doesn't I guess I'll get one from ebay. Thanks for the help!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whoa!

As seen on this page (3rd image down) that motherboard has a 20-pin main power connector jammed into a very cramped space. All of today's PSUs come with 24-pin connectors but I am not sure if the last-4 pins on "all" PSUs today are break-away. You MUST verify this before buying. In looking at 3 spare PSUs here (2 Antec and 1 Corsair) the last-4 pins are NOT break-away!

Also, I realized you are inquiring about power supplies, but...
    I'm building an ultimate retro gaming PC
    RAM: 2x256MB SDRAM
    Sorry, but "ultimate" (even if retro) and "512Mb" of RAM really are contradictory terms.

According to these specs for that motherboard, it has 3 slots and supports up to 512Mb PC100/PC133 168-pin SDRAM modules per slot for a maximum of 1.5 GB.

While 512Mb is the published limits for W95/98, it can support up to 2Gb. But you can run many DOS and W95/W98 games in XP.

If you really want an "ultimate" gaming PC with that motherboard, I would suggest you max out the RAM and run XP. But for security reasons, don't connect it to the Internet.

That motherboard is pushing 14 years old. Are you sure it even works?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
    While 512Mb is the published limits for W95/98, it can support up to 2Gb.
    That's the thing, I did a LOT of research on the matter, and the general internetz consensus is that, while W98 can be made to run with up to 2GB, it starts to have all kinds of bugs and instabilities and whatever above 512MB, as they say it "freaks out". I don't remember the exact details since I researched it a while ago, but I do remember that I should not try to go above 512.

If you really want an "ultimate" gaming PC with that motherboard, I would suggest you max out the RAM and run XP. But for security reasons, don't connect it to the Internet.
    I have an IBM Thinkpad T60 laptop with Windows XP, and it doesn't properly play such old games. It's gotta be under an old OS, I haven't decided yet whether I'd go with Win 98SE or Win ME, but for sure something based on DOS. As an example, I barely made NFS 1 SE's Win95 version to run under windows xp using microsoft application compatibility toolkit, but even then it was unstable and it crashed often, and the sound was not very clean, it crackled and stuff. I also tried playing its DOS version on my main gaming PC with DOSBox, and the videos were not working, and the emulation felt kind of slow at some places even though I'm using core i7-3770K, and the CD kept stopping spinning, and the game freezing until it spun again. Besides, those old graphics cards and sound cards that I want to use for the sake of using proprietary tech like Aureal 3D sound, don't have XP drivers.

That motherboard is pushing 14 years old. Are you sure it even works?
    I don't know, but I see 3 of them for sale locally, all dirt cheap, if one doesn't work, I'll get another. There is another board like this, Epox 8KTA3+, but I can't find one right now, also for the Abit KT7A and KT7A-Raid there's an unofficial bios update for proper support of mobile CPUs, which might make my life easier. People recommend I go with Pentium 3 instead, but from what I can see the best P3 CPUs have become collector items and are ridiculously hard to find and expensive.
    Last edited by God Of Gaming; 04-28-2015 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up a couple NOS Antec cases with SL350 power supplies. Worth looking. Cases were SLK? I can look up numbers if you like.
    For what you need, "genuine" Dell, HP, Compaq, etc. power supplies might do.
    rig 1: I5 2500K Asrock P67 2X 4GB Crucial 1600 Samsung 2TB HDD 2X OOD Earthwatts EA-500D Rosewill Redbone
    rig 2: I5 2500K Asrock P67 Pro3 4x 4GB Crucial Ripjaws X Corsair Neutron 256 GB SSD Samsung 2 TB HDD 3X OOD Earthwatts EA-500D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^Thanks for that hint, I checked and there's one SLK2650-BQE for sale nearby, I did a quick google check and it's supposed to come with Antec SL350S PSU, but I don't see it in the pics, so I sent a message to the seller to ask.

P.S. he answered that it came with codegen 400w...
    Last edited by God Of Gaming; 04-29-2015 at 02:37 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by God Of Gaming View Post
    P.S. he answered that it came with codegen 400w...
    Stay away from codegen psus.
    They are really really bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yup. I don't call them Explodegen for nothing.
    No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the coils backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.