Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a 550W supply in 60-80 euros range

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Recommendations for a 550W supply in 60-80 euros range

Hello folks. I've been researching power supplies to make an actual purchase, since I've finally upgraded my PC, the old one is getting a bit noisy and while is not a complete Gutless Wonder, is not exactly great quality. I was thinking about this one http://www.pccomponentes.com/seasoni...e_modular.html since the review on the 850W variant was quite good.

However, better safe than sorry so here I am asking for recommendations on that range. If it is a bit more I don't mind, I can always strech a bit. If the PSU is quiet that would be a plus but not required, same with modularity. The only things to note is that I will probably overclock the CPU a bit more later down the line, upgrade the GPU (probably a 970, but that is a bit off from now) and adding an SSD and leave the current HDD for data. Last but not least, the PSU's should be available in Europe, and I'll find it if I can find it shipped to Spain. Huge thanks for the help!

Specs: http://valid.x86.fr/0tje4x

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

The review of the 850W M12II didn't tell you anything about the 520W version, since they use different designs.

Cooler Master G450M for 47€ or the 550W for 59.95€ should serve you well; they are both simultaneously better and much cheaper than Seasonic M12II 520W. They are pretty quiet, too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Orion For This Useful Post:

ANXHaruhi (04-12-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

the 520W have better caps and bb fan.
    the cooler master have more protections.
    check the currents, ripple, warranty.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Cooler Master G450M for 47€ or the 550W for 59.95€ should serve you well; they are both simultaneously better and much cheaper than Seasonic M12II 520W. They are pretty quiet, too.
    +1

To the OP: from your published specs, the expected load power draw should be under 230W DC, so that even a 400W unit should be well suited, if priced favourably; about the proposed Seasonic, it is probably a more reliable unit, but it's a less modern design: if you want to stick with a Seasonic design, check your local prices of the Antec True Power Classic or of the XFX TS Gold, rather than a an S12/M12.
    Last edited by quest for silence; 04-11-2015 at 06:14 AM. Reason: improving readability
    Best, Luca

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quest for silence For This Useful Post:

ANXHaruhi (04-12-2015), sith'ari (04-16-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    +1

To the OP: from your published specs, the expected load power draw should be under 230W DC, so that even a 400W unit should be well suited, if priced favourably; about the proposed Seasonic, it is probably a more reliable unit, but it's a less modern design: if you want to stick with a Seasonic design, check your local prices of the Antec True Power Classic or of the XFX TS Gold, rather than a an S12/M12.
    The reason behind the M12II EVO was purely by reliability, since it seems that the general consensus is that Seasonic is rock solid, and the review stated that it was awesome. After some search I've found that XFX TS Gold is a bit pricey between 90-100 euros, but was able to found the Antek TP-550C around 80 euros. The 3 of them, CM, Seasonic and Antec have 5 year warranty so at least I would be covered for some time. Another PSU I am currently considering, specially knowing that 400W should be enought is the CoolerMaster V450. The only thing I want to ask, will 400W be "upgrade proof"? As if maybe changing from NVIDIA to ATI, expanding more asides what I have already listed, or overclocking a bit more on the aggresive side. Doubt I'll get SLI/Crossfire thought.

EDIT: Forgot to tell that the way I checked the power I should need is this: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ANXHaruhi View Post
    and the review stated that it was awesome.
    As Orion already told you (clearly and cleverly), you're wrong about that.
    They are not the same PSU (at a different rated power), but two different PSUs (with the "same" name), and therefore what made the 750/850 EVOs awesome does not (necessarily) apply to the 520/620 EVOs.

The only review I'm aware of about those smaller EVOs is a chinese one (Google's translation).

The only thing I want to ask, will 400W be "upgrade proof"? As if maybe changing from NVIDIA to ATI, expanding more asides what I have already listed, or overclocking a bit more on the aggresive side.
    The answer is absolutely yes: any single GPU card will be handled fine by any high quality 450W PSU (and your CPU OC has been taken into account).

Forgot to tell that the way I checked the power I should need is this: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
    Yes, it's well known, nonetheless it constantly overestimates the actual power draw (as well as any known online calculator). Reputable GPU reviews (like those by HardOCP, TechPowerUp!, The Tech Report, PC Perspective, HT4U, ComputerBase and so on) may be usually way more useful to find some more meaningful figures (probably nothing decisive, but much more useful!).
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

FMPV the extreme calculator is o.k., you can customize your settings of tdp of cpu and total load factor, maybe their default settings are a little high but you must to take in consideration people that want to stress the system to max like prime95 and furemark together you can lower the settings.
    about capacitors aging i don't really know if its reasonable, i quote from their site:
    "Electrolytic capacitor aging. When used heavily or over an extended period of time (1+ years) a power supply will slowly lose some of its initial wattage capacity. We recommend you add 10-20% if you plan to keep your PSU for more than 1 year, or 20-30% for 24/7 usage and 1+ years"
    but again you don't must to use this, in the example without capacitors aging you got sf
    of 1.07-1.25 with capacitors aging of 20% you got like 1.4. you can lower the factors when filling and use minimum Recommended, i prefer to be in 90% peak loads and SF of 1.2-1.4 for mid range cpu's and upgradings.
    in the paid version you can see the divide into rails.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to none77 For This Useful Post:

ANXHaruhi (04-12-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by none77/online calculator View Post
    When used heavily or over an extended period of time (1+ years) a power supply will slowly lose some of its initial wattage capacity.
    Complete and utter rubbish, especially if the PSU has 100% Japanese caps. The caps aging will make the ripple worse (and possibly cause it to go out of spec after a few years), but it will NOT affect what the PSU can deliver. I've load tested plenty of 10yr old PSUs which could still deliver their full rating plus a 50W or so overload. The capacitor aging should always be set to 0 if you are going to use an online calculator.
    No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the coils backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to c_hegge For This Useful Post:

ANXHaruhi (04-12-2015), none77 (04-12-2015), sith'ari (04-16-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

thank you
    If the psu works in const 40% load, or 60% it affects the how much ripple, currents change over time?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool, good to know for the future, since I am usually the one that is asked for computer hardware. I'm thinking of waiting for the CoolerMaster V450 for 70 euros, based on Computerbase review and, if I'm not mistaken again the TechPowerUp review where they review the 550W version, but from the pics it seems the same platform. Worth waiting a bit (a week or so, don't know when it will restock) over the CM G550 or the Antek?