Thread: Silverstone strider essential 500w problem

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Silverstone strider essential 500w problem

Recently I'm planning on reusing my almost 3yo strider essential after not using it for sometime, before it was used to power stock amd 5800k with a ssd in a top mounted psu case for about 1year and another year on bottom mounted psu case before replaced by seasonic p460fl.

The system I'm planning to power using this psu is intel q9450 with hd6570 and 3 hdds, and the following events happened.

I turned the system on and runs fine until suddenly the system power off and on again by itself, I tried powering it on again but this time its stuck with no post, just the power and hdd light fully lit.

I've tried running it with no drive but still cant get it stay on without restarting. I've tried running it it with my friend's vs450 and it runs fine with no sudden restart or freeze after benchmarking and gaming on it.

So the questions are whats wrong with my psu? Is my strider essentially dead with just about 2 years of very light usage? Which is weird since I've seen many people running pc with much crappier psu longer. Or is it just because I got a bad unit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not surprised. The strider essentials aren't very good (junk capacitors and fan, out of spec ripple from day 1)
    No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the coils backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So is that means now this thing is officially a paperweight or is there something I can do (maybe recapping) to reuse it so I can have my system up at least for a year before changing the psu to something better?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The 500W version should have Teapos in it. At least if you go by the TPU review. It's the 600W one that has Su'scon crapacitors. But it sounds like it's on the fritz anyway.

Rig 1: Core i5 6600K - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Corsair Vengeance 16GB PC2666 RAM - MSI GeForce GTX1070 - Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD + 2TB Seagate SSHD - Corsair RM550x - Fractal Design R5 - Win10 64

Rig 2: Ryzen 1700X @ 3.9 GHz - Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 - Corsair LPX 16GB PC3200 RAM - Gigabyte GeForce 1070 - 250GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD - Corsair RM650i - Win10 64
    HTPC: AMD A6-6400k - MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 mITX - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz - 3.5TB storage - Silver Power 460W passive - CM Elite 120

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xigmakid View Post
    is there something I can do (maybe recapping)
    Supposing it's a capacitors issue, are you able to recap it by yourself? Otherwise it isn't a viable option.
    By the way, can you borrow a PSU tester from anyone?
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    Supposing it's a capacitors issue, are you able to recap it by yourself? Otherwise it isn't a viable option.
    By the way, can you borrow a PSU tester from anyone?
    About recapping I don't have to do it myself, I can ask my friend for help, but after thinking about it I decided I'm not gonna do it since finding the caps that match the spec of the original caps is pretty hard. About psu tester I think I can get my hands on it.

Now I decided to buy another budget psu but this time its just for one year usage, and between fsp hexa+ 400w and corsair vs450 which one is the better one?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^
    I don't think either of those is better than the other. Either will be fine for a years usage, so I would just go with whichever is cheaper.

EDIT: Actually, the VS does have better ripple suppression. Maybe it's the one to go for.
    No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the coils backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c_hegge View Post
    I'm not surprised. The strider essentials aren't very good (junk capacitors and fan, out of spec ripple from day 1)
    Beware, there is mutliple versions of them. I have reviewed the latest with 80 PLUS Bronze certification but since xigmakid said his is 3 years old, it must be previous version, which I know nothing about.