Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enermax DigiFanless 550W Review @ KitGuru

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

Default Enermax DigiFanless 550W Review @ KitGuru

It has been quite some time since we have analysed an Enermax power supply, so it is with great interest that we take a look at the new DigiFanless 550W today. This supply is a pure modular, fanless design and has achieved an 80 Plus Platinum certification. Enermax also incorporate management software, which will surely appeal to a specific audience who enjoy ‘tweaking’ settings.
    http://www.kitguru.net/components/po...s-550w-review/

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:

Jon Gerow (03-27-2015), quest for silence (03-27-2015), Tator Tot (03-27-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's an impressive PSU from a company that had been known for cheap stuff.

Aesthetics don't really mean much to me (I like to pay attention to what's on my monitors, not what's in my case) but having good and "tidy" cable management is very important in my book (for cooling) and I note the interior of that supply is almost void of wires and really "looks" nice and tidy.

The PSU has the ability to manually switch from single rail to multirail. Not sure I've ever seen that before.

I am a bit surprised (disappointed?) with KitGuru's testing parameters when it comes to temperature settings. They said,
    Due to public requests we have changed our temperature settings recently – previously we rated with ambient temperatures at 25C, we have increased ambient temperatures by 10c (to 35c) in our environment to greater reflect warmer internal chassis conditions.
    25°C (77°F) seems ridiculously low to me so I am glad they changed it to 35°C where that 550W supply was able to push out 600W. Sounds good, but I note that supply is rated for 24/7 at 40°C. So I fail to see why they didn't test at 40°C to see if it at least met published specs.

cheapie is offline That weird furry girl they warned you about
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I fail to see a problem with 25°C. I don't think most people even keep their houses that hot.

Testing at full temperature would be nice too, but I don't understand what's so bad about 25° either.

What I *would* like to see would be a test with the intake somewhat restricted, to simulate a (dirty) filter.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by cheapie View Post
    I fail to see a problem with 25°C.
    Personally I never found a case with an internal temp under 30°C (when inside an house, not right at an open window, and so on).
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

I'd say we need to find a middle ground: for most PSU's, ambient air temp under the case. This is, after all, where most PSU's draw their air from. For fanless, ambient immediately behind the case.
    CPU: Core i7 8700k, HT enabled, all 6 cores OC'd to 4.8GHz, Vcore = 1.24v
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15 with one NF-A15 1500 RPM PWM fan
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370X Aorus Gaming 7
    RAM: 4x16GB (64GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 16-18-18-36@3200MHz, Vdimm = 1.35v
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 with 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X
    SSD1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB TLC; SSD2: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB 3-bit MLC
    HD: WD 500GB (old); Case: LIAN LI PC-7H Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
    PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660W

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
    That's an impressive PSU from a company that had been known for cheap stuff.
    Enermax? I'm pretty sure they've always been known for good stuff.

The PSU has the ability to manually switch from single rail to multirail. Not sure I've ever seen that before.
    There's a few. The Corsair AXi and HXi. The beQuiet Dark Power Pro (with a mechanical "key") and there was a Topower unit with a switch that killed to OCP lead on the supervisor IC.

Problem with this one, and this was pointed out by Computerbase, this PSU is set to single +12V rail by default.

One of the biggest issues I've seen with single +12V rail PSUs is when there's a short created during the process of building the PC. Sure, an SSD that fails six months down the road can cause a nice little electrical fire if you have a single +12V rail, butthe more likely scenario is a cable pinched behind a door or under the motherboard, etc. Even plugging connectors in upside down can create quite the light show.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheapie
    I fail to see a problem with 25°C. I don't think most people even keep their houses that hot.

Testing at full temperature would be nice too, but I don't understand what's so bad about 25° either.
    No where did I say it was bad. My point was that the maker claims the supply is designed to meet published specs at 40°C. And that was never tested.

Personally I never found a case with an internal temp under 30°C (when inside an house, not right at an open window, and so on).

I don't think most people even keep their houses that hot.
    What seems to be forgotten, or ignored, is the fact not everyone in the world uses their computers like us. A HUGE percentage of computers are not even used in houses or apartments - but in workplaces that may or may not be environmentally controlled. Not everyone can afford air conditioning. Not everyone lives in environments where air conditioning is even needed but for a few days a year. When I lived in the UK, my home did not have AC but there were few days I surely wished I had it. Many computers are used in wide open shops and garages where they may be exposed to 90 - 100°F (or higher ambient temps and very high humidity too.

I am assuming q for s meant "over" 30°C and not "under" but regardless, that is immaterial. The fact we may live in climate controlled environments is immaterial as many people don't, or at least their computers are not in those environments.

Regardless, reviews should ensure the product under test at least meets the maker's claims.

Quote Originally Posted by ehume
    ambient air temp under the case. This is, after all, where most PSU's draw their air from.
    What? Sorry but not hardly. By far most computer cases support top mounted PSUs, not bottom. So by far most PSUs draw their air from the "warm" case interior and not the cool room.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU
    Enermax? I'm pretty sure they've always been known for good stuff.
    They've been around a long time and certainly have made some good stuff. But in the early 90's, I was supporting a 800 node network and in particular, their PSUs and case fans were failing at an alarming rate - with many new being DOA. Probably my bad for holding a grudge for such a long time, but they have typically been a brand I have not given a 2nd look at since. That said, I did say, "had" been known... .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

What? Sorry but not hardly. By far most computer cases support top mounted PSUs, not bottom. So by far most PSUs draw their air from the "warm" case interior and not the cool room.
    What? Sorry, but not hardly. By far most computer cases support bottom mounted PSUs, not top. So by far most PSUs draw their air from the "cool" exterior of the case and not the warm interior.

Just look at the numbers from Newegg:
    • Top Mounted - 165
    • Bottom Mounted - 718
    • Top & Bottom Mounted - 4

You can find a similar reflection of these values on most other websites that sell computer hardware as long as this is a searchable value in their database.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I looked there first then realized many top mounted cases don't say top, but most bottom do.

And that only counts new cases sold today - not what is in existence and I note many PSUs are bought as upgrades or replacements. (and btw, many of those are not even cases, nor are they really bottom mount).

If you narrow your search to mid tower and select "any" you get 436. If you change that to bottom, you get 268 and if you change it to top, you only get 46 so clearly the search does not work right.

So I will give you that more cases sold today may be bottom mounted, but not in use.

That said, most computers sold are factory made and in looking at the Dell computers sold, like the popular 3000 Series (spin the 360° view around), it is top mounted. As are many HPs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts

They've been around a long time and certainly have made some good stuff. But in the early 90's... .
    In the early 90's there weren't many choices for enthusiast PSUs. Enermax was one of them. Exploding Antecs was another (Fuhjyyu caps). I think it's safe to say that we've come a long way.

FYI: My slot A Q3A server was powered by Enermax. Used TCWO.com's T3. Everyone hated my zero ping when I played directly on the server.