Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electrical interference?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I checked latency and it never seemed to go above 140ms.
    What? No! That is WAY too high! What did you use to check?

140ms is 140,000µs and you want it under 2000µs (2ms).

I also have one of those power strips
    IMO, those surge and spike protectors/power strips are little more than fancy and expensive extension cords. They are better than nothing (if in perfect working order) but you really should put your computer on a "good" UPS with AVR.

I would test your system without the surge and spike protector and see what happens - just to make sure it is not introducing some RFI/EMI.

When I threw the cutoff switch on the PSU, I got a pop of feedback through my speakers.
    A "pop of feedback", or was more like a thump through the sub? A, as in 1 thump is normal - same when you power them on too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
    What? No! That is WAY too high! What did you use to check?

140ms is 140,000µs and you want it under 2000µs (2ms).

IMO, those surge and spike protectors/power strips are little more than fancy and expensive extension cords. They are better than nothing (if in perfect working order) but you really should put your computer on a "good" UPS with AVR.

I would test your system without the surge and spike protector and see what happens - just to make sure it is not introducing some RFI/EMI.

A "pop of feedback", or was more like a thump through the sub? A, as in 1 thump is normal - same when you power them on too.
    Sorry, I meant µs, lol. I used LatencyMon because DPC Latency checker just said it was 1000µs all the time, which didnt seem right. I read that it doesn't like Windows 8.1 so maybe that was why.

Also, I didn't mention in the OP, but I did try a different power cable, a different outlet, and a different power strip. I suppose I didn't try plugging directly into the wall, but I did unplug the speakers entirely and tested with just the DAC and nothing changed. The strip it's on now is brand new, so it should be alright, in theory anyway. And yes, it was a thump, presumably from the sub. I just never noticed it before I guess.

I picked up a cheap unit from Best Buy to do swap out. A Thermaltake Smart Series SP-650P. I think it's Channel Well built and pretty identical to that EVGA 600W one. Should be decent enough to test with and hold me over if my EVGA unit does require an RMA. I'm crossing my fingers, lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Keep us posted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No dice

Guess I just have to give up. I even caught my TV doing it...must mean a wiring problem, which I can't do anything about unfortunately.
    Last edited by ice445; 03-28-2015 at 07:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Update, I found out I am getting really bad DPC spikes. 2.4MS spikes caused by "WDF01000.sys". Now I just need to find out what's driving that and maybe I can figure it out..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As I noted, if you follow the link in post #9 above, there are some folks there with a lot of expertise and experience in resolving high DPC latency issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
    As I noted, if you follow the link in post #9 above, there are some folks there with a lot of expertise and experience in resolving high DPC latency issues.
    Thanks, that was helpful. I used the program they provided and found that...drumroll....

It was the external DAC this whole time. I completely overlooked it because it was happening even when I had it shut off and was using the onboard sound. Even though it was gone from device manager, it was apparently still screwing things up even while off. Weird. Thanks for the help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great! Glad you got it sorted out and thanks for the followup.