Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EVGA SuperNOVA 1600W T2 Power Supply and ASUS X99 E-WS Motherboard compatability

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default EVGA SuperNOVA 1600W T2 Power Supply and ASUS X99 E-WS Motherboard compatability

Hi. I'm looking to buy an EVGA SuperNOVA 1600W T2 Power Supply. That power supply is not listed as compatible with my motherboard in my motherboard's Qualified Vendors List. The motherboard is ASUS X99 E-WS. The Corsair's AX 1500i IS listed as compatible but the EVGA's power supply is not. I still want to go with the EVGA because of their customer support. But I'm afraid that it may not work with my motherboard. Anybody can help me with that?

Second question: I'm buying an 1600W power supply solely because of its quality and because I want it to last longer. My power consumption needs will rarely go above 600W, though. I've heard that if my power consumption is that low and the power supply is SO mighty it may actually affect the ripple. Is that true? I'll be very thankful if somebody knowledgeable could help me with those questions. This is my first time building a computer, and I don't have much experience. Thank you.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by khelk33 View Post
    But I'm afraid that it may not work with my motherboard. Anybody can help me with that?
    There's no reason why an EVGA T2 won't be perfectly suitable for your needs.

Second question: I'm buying an 1600W power supply solely because of its quality and because I want it to last longer.
    It will last as long as any lower power, comparable quality unit (just for instance, like an EVGA P2 1000).

My power consumption needs will rarely go above 600W, though.
    Did you measure it?

I've heard that if my power consumption is that low and the power supply is SO mighty it may actually affect the ripple. Is that true?
    If I correctly understand your concern, it is groundless: the ripple will be LOWER at 600W, rather than at any higher power draw.
    Best, Luca

3. The Following User Says Thank You to quest for silence For This Useful Post:

khelk33 (03-26-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Supported PSU lists for ANY motherboard should always be completely ignored IMO. the fact is, ANY power supply you can buy off the shelf will work, as long as it has enough power.

What is the rest of your system configuration? What Graphics Card will you be using, and how many of them?

If you are only using 1 or 2 cards, then getting a 1600W is a complete and utter waste of money. It will not last any longer than or perform any better than a good 550W PSU (or maybe 750W if you are using 2 GPUs) under that power draw. You would only need 1600W if you were using four high end GPUs.
    No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the coils backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to c_hegge For This Useful Post:

khelk33 (03-26-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ASUS probably haven't tested the EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 with that motherboard. If they had it would be on the QVL.

Agree with c_hegge, you need to be pretty sure that you at least want the option to use four GPUs to justify a 1600W unit over ~550-750W.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to chasmcity For This Useful Post:

khelk33 (03-26-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

My power consumption needs will rarely go above 600W, though.
    600W, that's something like 3 GTX 970's and a Core i5 without OC or two R9 290's and a sixcore Intel without OC. But I've the feeling your PC takes even less then this.

Anyhow, the EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 is just a stupid choice, as others have said already.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:

khelk33 (03-26-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Second question: I'm buying an 1600W power supply solely because of its quality and because I want it to last longer.
    Higher power capability in no way is an indicator or quality, reliability or longevity.

I've heard that if my power consumption is that low and the power supply is SO mighty it may actually affect the ripple. Is that true?
    No, not as a general rule. It might be true with Acme 1200W but not with ABC 1200W. Just depends on the specific design, parts used, and construction.

As for the QVLs, smart move checking them but as noted, they are not totally conclusive. You must buy from the CPU QVL to ensure compatibility, but there are just too many RAM makers and models out there for motherboard makers to test them all. So you don't have to buy listed RAM, but you should buy RAM with the same specs as listed RAM.

For PSUs, I agree (mostly) with c_hegge, and you should just ignore the PSU QVL. I don't agree that "ANY" supply you can buy off the shelf will work simply because it could have been sitting on the shelf, unsold for many years and may not have the necessary connectors to support a modern board and graphics card, or even SATA power if very old.

So any "modern" PSU with sufficient power will work, but for sure, go for a quality PSU.

This is my first time building a computer, and I don't have much experience. Thank you.
    Then you are being wise for seeking advice first.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

khelk33 (03-26-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile Thank you and more

Hi guys, thank you very much for your helpful replies. I think the PSU & Motherboard compatibility issue is solved. The ripple issue is also pretty much solved. The 1600W PSU power question: First of all, I'll be using two GeForce GTX 980s with Core i-7 5960X. I don't think my power needs will go above 850W. Now, I thought 1600W could last longer NOT because other good power supplies with less wattage are less reliable but because a higher wattage power supply will use LESS of its OWN power and thus, over time, will last longer as it will never run at more than the half of its capacity. Again, I'm not an expert, you guys are, and maybe I'm wrong, but this is just what I heard while viewing one of those you tube videos. Please let me know what you think of this. Thanks again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi Digerati, thank you very much for your helpful comments. I've posted a general reply, and I'm posting a few personal replies also, I'm new, so I haven't learned the correct way of doing this yet. I think the PSU & Motherboard compatibility issue is solved. The ripple issue is also pretty much solved. The 1600W PSU power question: First of all, I'll be using two GeForce GTX 980s with Core i-7 5960X. I don't think my power needs will go above 850W. Now, I thought 1600W could last longer NOT because other good power supplies with less wattage are less reliable but because a higher wattage power supply will use LESS of its OWN power and thus, over time, will last longer as it will never run at more than the half of its capacity. Again, I'm not an expert, you guys are, and maybe I'm wrong, but this is just what I heard while viewing one of those you tube videos. Please let me know what you think of this. Thanks again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No. With your setup, a 1600W PSU will not last longer than a good 850W unit with your setup. You won't really shorten a PSU's life much unless you run it at nearly full power all the time, which won't happen with your setup.
    No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the coils backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to c_hegge For This Useful Post:

khelk33 (03-27-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

First of all, I'll be using two GeForce GTX 980s with Core i-7 5960X. I don't think my power needs will go above 850W.
    Without OC it peaks around 500W max, no way near the 850W.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:

khelk33 (03-27-2015)