Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seasonic M12II 620W Fan Replacement

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

If you have a 1200rpm Slip Stream, I think you might want to try it out. When I considered PSU's a sleeve bearing fan turned me right off. But you are opening this PSU, and I suspect you will look in on it periodically. So a sleeve bearing fan should be fine.

The Slip Stream is optimized for CFM at the expense of static pressure -- just the opposite of a Gentle Typhoon or a Noctua NF-F12. You may like it a lot. But if not, you can always replace it.
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

I always had bad results with Scythe slip stream. They started to make noise very soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Johnnyguru's reply now made me doubt that list a lot. They made a version two of that list now. It would be cool to see your opnion on it and some adjustments so people can make some better decision.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Philipus II View Post
    I always had bad results with Scythe slip stream. They started to make noise very soon.
    I have a quite exactly opposite experience: I've lots of them running in various rigs (about a dozen of those fans), none have become noisy or clicking (I have mostly PWM, M/1200rpm, and SL/500rpm) over the years (6).
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

Trashed five out of 5 within a year. I personally would recommend a fan with a decent FDB bearing.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Trashed five out of 5 within a year. I personally would recommend a fan with a decent FDB bearing.
    Are you affected by sleeve hating, mate? As said, a quite opposite experience.
    If price were right a Noctua NF-S12B redux 1200 should be a decent FDB option.
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    That tier list is.. well... I tried to "redo it" as a favor to the members of that forum, but there aren't enough hours in the day.
    You would help so many people if you did that. Noobs but I think novices and even experienced people as well..

Quote Originally Posted by ehume View Post
    If you have a 1200rpm Slip Stream, I think you might want to try it out. When I considered PSU's a sleeve bearing fan turned me right off. But you are opening this PSU, and I suspect you will look in on it periodically. So a sleeve bearing fan should be fine.
    The Slip Stream is optimized for CFM at the expense of static pressure -- just the opposite of a Gentle Typhoon or a Noctua NF-F12. You may like it a lot. But if not, you can always replace it.
    Thanks, I will try it. If it doesn't cool enough or some sort I might get a new PSU..

If it fails, I'll buy a new fan or PSU .

Thanks for helping guys! I will post my results later for people with a similair problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Do keep us posted. Like maybe a pic with the fan in place. Then a few months in, how it is doing.

BTW -- do include whether your PSU is mounted with fan up or fan down. Makes a difference with sleeve bearing.
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BTW -- do include whether your PSU is mounted with fan up or fan down. Makes a difference with sleeve bearing.
    I don't believe that matters - at least in terms of wear on the bearing. But for sure, it matters if the fan is laying horizontally (blowing up or down) or vertically (blowing sideways).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
    I don't believe that matters - at least in terms of wear on the bearing. But for sure, it matters if the fan is laying horizontally (blowing up or down) or vertically (blowing sideways).
    Actually, I have taken sleeve bearings apart, studied there construction. I have the entire series -- in duplicate -- of the Scythe Slip Stream fans. Ditto Gentle Typhoons. And about a hundred other fans (this may be an underestimate). I have held fans, felt sleeve some bearing fans struggle when their airflow is pointed up but not down.

You are right that sleeve bearing fans initially work far better with their frames set vertically. But the shaft is putting the whole weight of the blade assembly on that tiny line of metal, which bears down on a disk of plastic. How thin that disk is, is a matter for the manufacturer. But herein lies the reason, I think, for sleeve bearing fans getting their reputation -- from user experience -- of failing within months.

Airflow down -- again a crapshoot as to how big the lip is on the shaft. It may or may not put more gm/mm^2 stress on that disk. Airflow up is often a struggle -- but not for some models of fan, and not all specimens of the same model of fan.

BTW -- I'm not an expert on this. Tator Tot is the expert. He actually compared two types of the same model of Yate Loon. In fact, he inspired some marketers to sell the same model of Yate Loon fan from two different manufacturers. Quite the coup.
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold