Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seasonic M12II 620W Fan Replacement

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Seasonic M12II 620W Fan Replacement

My PSU is quite loud at full load. So I want to replace my fan, I don't have warranty anymore so that is not a problem. I was doing research but people decide to buy a new PSU or the thread was outdated.
    Does anyone know a good replacement fan for my 620W PSU?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts

Is the fan loud due to high RPMs or are the bearings rattling, etc?

Remember, the PSU fan speed is controlled by a fan controller. Another fan may be just as loud.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Does anyone know the starting voltage of the ADDA AD1212HB-A71GL ?

EDIT: it doesn't matter. The OP should pick a (quiet) fan with a starting voltage of 3.8V or lower (Scythe Slipstream come to mind, but it's a sleeve bearing fan).
    Last edited by quest for silence; 03-02-2015 at 07:08 PM. Reason: added EDIT section
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Is the fan loud due to high RPMs or are the bearings rattling, etc?

Remember, the PSU fan speed is controlled by a fan controller. Another fan may be just as loud.
    Yeah it's due high rpm. Its only that loud under load. My GPU is silent ( I have a Accelero Extreme IV) and my CPU cooler is silent too.. So it is the loudest fan in my pc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    Does anyone know the starting voltage of the ADDA AD1212HB-A71GL ?

EDIT: it doesn't matter. The OP should pick a (quiet) fan with a starting voltage of 3.8V or lower (Scythe Slipstream come to mind, but it's a sleeve bearing fan).
    I had a Scythe Slipstream 1200 RPM in it but I thought it didn't cool well enough because I had lower framerates and voltage drops on my GPU. But now that I am thinking of it, it might be because I don't have any heatsinks on my VRM's. Does the Scythe Slipstream cool my PSU well enough?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by mrgnex View Post
    Yeah it's due high rpm. Its only that loud under load. My GPU is silent ( I have a Accelero Extreme IV) and my CPU cooler is silent too.. So it is the loudest fan in my pc
    If your GPU needs an Accelero Extreme IV, maybe your PSU isn't right for your needs.

I had a Scythe Slipstream 1200 RPM in it but I thought it didn't cool well enough because I had lower framerates and voltage drops on my GPU. But now that I am thinking of it, it might be because I don't have any heatsinks on my VRM's. Does the Scythe Slipstream cool my PSU well enough?
    It depends of the actual load level, your PSU isn't very efficient. By the way, lots of people use 1200rpm fans on similar units, like the Noctua S12 or the Slipstream.
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If your GPU needs an Accelero Extreme IV, maybe your PSU isn't right for your needs.
    Erm, why is that? I have a single GPu setup (R9 290), 620W is plenty right?

It depends of the actual load level, your PSU isn't very efficient. By the way, lots of people use 1200rpm fans on similar units, like the Noctua S12 or the Slipstream.
    Hmm I thought I bought a good power supply. It is tier 2A (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...tier-list.html). I'll buy a 3 pin to 2 pin cable and try again..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Erm, why is that? I have a single GPu setup (R9 290), 620W is plenty right?
    Yes, it's a solid unit, like any modern Seasonics, but: a) it's a group regulated unit; b) Seasonic fan controllers are very conservative, and that's why it's so loud past the about 150-200W level.

Hmm I thought I bought a good power supply. It is tier 2A (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...tier-list.html). I'll buy a 3 pin to 2 pin cable and try again..
    I agree, it's an actually decent power supply, just it's not optimal for that specific task, IMO: by the way, as far as I know you don't need an adapter, you should just rip off the 2 pin receptacle with a small screwdriver and then push in the 3 pin fan connector (in the right way).

About THG list, in my humble opinion it seems highly questionable (maybe because the linked one is outdated? Mind, according to it an M12 II is "better" than the Antec True Classic or Antec Edge).
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts

That tier list is.. well... I tried to "redo it" as a favor to the members of that forum, but there aren't enough hours in the day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On too many occasions I have had computers come across my bench where users replaced various fans with quieter fans, or they inserted or set speed controllers to toggle down speeds only to result in making their computers unstable.

When it comes to cooling, fan size and RPMs are minor specifications. It is all about CFM - the amount air (cubic feet) moved per minute.

So you need to verify the fan width and thickness of your current fan, find its maximum CFM rating, then research new fans for the maximum CFM at the lowest sound pressure levels to make sure you get more CFM while making less noise.

Good luck with that! All I can find for specs is it is a ADDA fan rated at 0.37A at 12v and according the review I found, that supply is very quiet - at least compared to other PSUs.

So while you say it only happens when under load, it could be the bearings are failing and you really notice that while under load.
    I was doing research but people decide to buy a new PSU
    Maybe they are right.