Thread: Corsair AX860

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Corsair AX860

Hi I have a problem that I think the PSU is falling down when just putting
    1X R9 280 GPU with a 4790K overclocked to 4.8GHz.

I only have 7 Scythe Gentle Typhoon fans and a D5 pump plus 2XSSD drives.

When I go to run real bench it fails cuts out and reboots but when I put a lower rated GPU in then I have no problem it will run all day on the real bench tests.

How will I test to see if the PSU is not giving out what it should during the tests?

This has been a problem I thought the motherboard couldn't hold the overclock so I now have a new different motherboard also run a 4770K same results only when I put the R9 280 in does it crash when testing CPU stability, the R9 280 is the most powerful GPU I have so I can't try a different one, although I have many other lower wattage GPU's.

I have a multimeter but I don't know how to find out if the PSU is putting out enough and that it is not a PSU problem.

Thanks guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts

Do you know the R9 280 is good? Have you tried it in another PC? Have you tried another PSU in this PC?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Do you know the R9 280 is good? Have you tried it in another PC? Have you tried another PSU in this PC?
    I will have to try those, it's that I have no other PC or PSU but I can take it to my friends in a few days.
    I was hoping I could put my meter on something and take readings whilst in situ and see if the PSU was dropping out?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts

Yeah... all a DMM is going to do is tell you voltages. You can't simulate loads without expensive equipment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Yeah... all a DMM is going to do is tell you voltages. You can't simulate loads without expensive equipment.
    If I were to connect the multi meter in a way that you would know and watch what happens when I start it up and then run the benchmark "could" that show anything meaningful?

I also have an amp meter clamp quite a good one but don't know how to work that.

I am obviously not electrically trained at all, I can solder and change things around given a drawing and the parts, I used to chip Playstations I have done hundreds of them many different types but I always had a drawing.

Obviously I don't expect to tell me something that if someone else reads it could cause them a problem I hate this crazy blame culture world we live in, I have lost many thousands of £'s over the years one for a very serious accident that has damaged my spine for life 2 operations and over 50 tablets a day for life but I didn't even think of claiming.

So anything you say no matter if it did cause any damage it is on my shoulders, I would just be happy for the help, which you give to other people also.

I can borrow a PSU probably but it would be at least a week before I could get it if not longer.

Thank you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts

If the DMM has logging, you might be able to catch a voltage drop.

If the clamp supports DC (most only support AC), you could clamp the positive wires to the graphics card to see how much power you're using, but you're not going to get the power through the PCIe slot.