Thread: Silverstone Strider Essential 600W Review at Hardware Insights

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Silverstone Strider Essential 600W Review at Hardware Insights

http://hardwareinsights.com/wp/silve...pdated-basics/

Myself and Behemot are working together a bit now. This is basically a translated, "Hardware Insights-ernised" version of his review in Czech at Diit.
    No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the coils backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to c_hegge For This Useful Post:

chasmcity (02-19-2015), quest for silence (02-19-2015), sith'ari (02-24-2015), Tator Tot (02-18-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I'm not really surpised by the performance, but the differences in what went wrong vs TPU's sample.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tator Tot For This Useful Post:

sith'ari (02-25-2015)

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Actually those units seem somewhat different (maybe Silverstone sent directly samples to TPU, while not to diit/HwInsights? ): I can't speak about their performance, but I can comment the relevant quietness with a bit more ease.

Providing none among Aris, Callum and Pavel is deaf, IMHO it's a bit odd reading at first that: "This PSU cannot be described as quiet at even below an ambient temperature of 30°C, and it is definitely noisy with typical loads and above." - and then that: "the fan curve is oriented towards silence, rather than cooling, so the power supply runs quite hot".

By the way, thanks a lot Callum & Pavel!
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really don't know what the fan curve is like, as it was Pavel, not me did the load testing. It's basically his review. It's also interesting to note that his one was run at a cooler Ambient temperature, but got much hotter than TPU's. I do think, though, that the caution about the precision of his power meter was a valid one. Near-90% does seem a bit high - it's a quite a bit more than TPU got, especially considering that it was also tested at 230V.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    Actually those units seem somewhat different (maybe Silverstone sent directly samples to TPU, while not to diit/HwInsights? ): I can't speak about their performance, but I can comment the relevant quietness with a bit more ease.

Providing none among Aris, Callum and Pavel is deaf, IMHO it's a bit odd reading at first that: "This PSU cannot be described as quiet at even below an ambient temperature of 30°C, and it is definitely noisy with typical loads and above." - and then that: "the fan curve is oriented towards silence, rather than cooling, so the power supply runs quite hot".

By the way, thanks a lot Callum & Pavel!
    I'd interpret it as "They were aiming for silent operation and failed".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well take my observations somewhat reserved, my loader with those Sun Ace fans is loud like hell, but the unit definitelly was from the more silent ones and using hand-meter , it was definitelly not moving much air.

As for the source, I got this one directly from Silverstone. Since than, I have been noticed several times to load all rails with appropriate minimum load - which is quite high (maybe it was later updated, I don't know, haven't seen it before; it is 2 A and more on +12 V with heavy loading of +3,3/+5 V) in all future reviews. But as I wrote in this review, I tested increasing +12V load all the way up to 8 A and the +5 V was still out of spec, this is definitelly bad design.

As for efficiency, yes, my accuracy was poor. I now have the new UT210E meter instead of UT203. Couple older reviews (already published on Diit) will be translated with old equipment, Seasonic G-550 review which is just to be published is measured with both UT203 and UT210E and the difference is there. It ranges from 0,5 to 1,5 % difference in efficiency and also the curve is now realistic, dropping as it should after 50% load. Now my calculated accuracy of efficiency measurement is 2-4 %. Still nothing wonderfull, but better (was 3-6 % or so).

Also with these cheap home wattmeters you know nothing, in this case it was clearly measuring nonsense with the PFC tripping on/off; without working PFC (like in the case of Zalman ZM400-LE), it is not able to catch all the current spikes and measures lower power consumption. I hope to get some chinese power analyzer soon, like Everfine PF9811. It has believable (and better) accuracy and can also do THD analysis, which is actually more important then power factor value itself. And it is something I at least have a chance to reach, all the better branded ones cost several times more.

A small teaser: Antec True Power Classic 550 W - burned! Seasonic G-550 - burned! Seasonic S12 - well, I guess…this Seasonics SSR 450-550W (and OEM SSP-x50RT) paltform is frelled…everything else is good and has better voltage controll with ripple, but this one is baaad. I wouldn't have believed you if you told me this platform can barely keep stand-by rail in spec in terms of ripple before I've seen it multiple times.
    Last edited by Behemot; 02-19-2015 at 07:45 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    I'm not really surpised by the performance, but the differences in what went wrong vs TPU's sample.

That's the most interesting comment i believe.
    Can anyone conclude why the same models perform differently?
    Is it something that can be related with the testing equipment used, or these differences can dictate that Silverstone has modified one of these 2 samples?

I notice these kind of things, and i start to believe that each time i buy a PSU is like rolling dice!!!, and unfortunately for me, i'm not the kind of guy that likes gambling!!
    CPU:Athlon 64 FX60 (2-cores) 2,6GHz
    Mobo:Asrock 939a785g
    cpu cooler:ArcticFreezer13 CO
    RAM:4 GB DDR 400MHz
    GPU:Asus 750 Ti 2GB
    PSU:Seasonic Platinum 660
    Monitor:Asus VE228HR
    Tower:Coolermaster Elite 430

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All I can say is that there were two different units, but there were also two completely different sets of equipment being used. It may be either one or the other, or a combination of those two things that caused/contributed to the differing results. Maybe Behemot's unit had a defect. The only thing that would tell us for sure is if we swapped samples and re-ran the tests, but that's not likely to happen.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to c_hegge For This Useful Post:

sith'ari (02-25-2015)