Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corsair HX650 and R9 290X

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Corsair HX650 and R9 290X

Ok so long story short I have been going through a series of RMA's with video card vendor. They are saying that they believe that my PSU may not be strong enough to handle a R9 290X which requires 2 6+2 PCI-E connectors.

I say they are full of it because the card worked for a few hours of gaming upon installation and the video stopped next day while surfing the web. I placed another card in the system and it is performing without any issues.

I have had this PSU for about a year and it is powering a stock 4790K, a Z97 motherboard, 4 sticks of ddr3-1600 ram, 1 SSD, and 2 5900 RPM 2 TB drives.

Do you think that the card is the problem or my PSU?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

650W is plenty for the 290X. It draws a lot of power (up to ~300W), but even with the rest of your rig added on top of that, the PSU isn't anywhere near being overloaded.

Rig 1: Core i5 6600K - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Corsair Vengeance 16GB PC2666 RAM - MSI GeForce GTX1070 - Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD + 2TB Seagate SSHD - Corsair RM550x - Fractal Design R5 - Win10 64

Rig 2: Ryzen 1700X @ 3.9 GHz - Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 - Corsair LPX 16GB PC3200 RAM - Gigabyte GeForce 1070 - 250GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD - Corsair RM650i - Win10 64
    HTPC: AMD A6-6400k - MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 mITX - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz - 3.5TB storage - Silver Power 460W passive - CM Elite 120

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's exactly what I thought......I just think the vendor is not trying supply another card since the card only worked for 1 day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But this is assuming that Corsair 650 is functioning properly. It may be faulty - perhaps with excessive ripple or voltages slightly out of tolerance.

However,
    which requires 2 6+2 PCI-E connectors.
    You did not specify the brand of that card, but note according to AMD the 290X requires 1 x 6-pin + 1 x 8-pin PEG connectors. That can be significant because as seen here, the 6-pin PEG is limited to 75w while the 8-pin PEG can deliver up to 150w to the card.

So while your PSU may have plenty of power to support the card, you may not be letting it. Check your card's installation manual again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@up keep in mind that non-reference versions can have varied connector configurations. For example 970 Strix has only one 8-pin, whereas other versions have 2x6-pin, 6 and 8-pin or even 2x8-pin. Same deal with 290X, although it's too power hungry for 1x8-pin.

And in reality difference in actual power delivered between 6-pin and 8-pin is none. 75W vs 150W is just spec, actually, both of those have the same amount of +12V pins (three). It's pretty safe to assume 6-pin can do 150W no problem, and it does, as I know from experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find it odd that you agree non-referenced versions can have varied connector configurations, then claim there's no difference between 6-pin and 8-pin, regardless the PSU.

I provided a link to a reliable source that goes into great detail explaining the difference. And I have now found several more as noted below.

Unless you can provide some reliable source that supports your "blanket" claim that there is no power capability difference between the 6-pin PEG and 8-pin PEG, I will put my trust in my sources, and stick to my recommendation above to verify power requirements for that specific graphics card.

While I don't put total faith in Wikipedia, this article would also suggest you are incorrect where it says,
    Optional connectors add 75 W (6-pin) or 150 W (8-pin) power
    HT4U.net says the same.

Quote Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL
    It's pretty safe to assume 6-pin can do 150W no problem
    I agree some 6-pins can supply more than 75W, I do not agree with your blanket statement that suggests all 6-pin PEGs provide twice what the standard calls for. That's one reason why they created the 8-pin.

As noted here pin 2 on the 6-pin may not be connected to any +12V source. Whereas pin 2 with the 8-pin will always be connected to a +12V source.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some 6-pins can handle 150W. Many cannot. I consider 100-125W to be a safe "max" limit, while 8-pins can usually handle up to 200W. The extra ground pins really do help a great deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some 6-pins can handle 150W.
    It is not a matter of what they can "handle". It is about what that specific power supply is capable and configured to deliver.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
    It is not a matter of what they can "handle". It is about what that specific power supply is capable and configured to deliver.
    Yes, which is why we deny the RMA claims of people who burn their 6-pin PCIe connectors powering some Wun Hung Lo ASIC miner with 140W TDP.

The point is that the specification exists for a reason, even if the cable can physically handle a bit more than that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, which is why we deny the RMA claims of people who burn their 6-pin PCIe connectors powering some Wun Hung Lo ASIC miner with 140W TDP.
    LOL! I don't blame you. But I sure bet your tech reps get an earful after that. I've done tech support via phones and the Internet for years and it always amazes me the excuses "customers" can come up with instead of just admitting it was their fault.

even if the cable can physically handle a bit more than that.
    As any designer worth his salt would ensure it would.