Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Silverstone ST85F photos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    195 Posts

Default Silverstone ST85F photos

The unit is Enhance, but it's certainly NOT the same platform as the ST60F and 75F. My apologies if I lead any of you folks to believe it was.

It is not built in Taiwan like the Olympia OP650 and 750, though. It's built in China.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    195 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks solid. UCC/NCC on the primary side and Teapo on the secondary side. They seem to have put the input filtering on a seperate PCB. Jon, is it possible to get a few pics of the underside of those PCB's?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anodized sinks, bah! Enhance said they would not anodize because if the insulating factor (heat & current). Now they do it.
    Worth a good looking over. http://www.badcaps.net/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, the current being insulated is a good thing, it removes the need to put insulators between the the mosFETs and the sinks so that actually should increase the heat transfer from the FETs to the sinks.

As far as anodize killing the heat transfer to air, I really doubt it makes that much of a difference as the layer is incredibly thin, it only fills pores in the aluminum on a molecular level and besides...aluminum forms a natural oxide layer that will do the same thing and that oxide layer is removed prior to anodizing so that the anodize will stick so it's just replacing one insulating (heat wise) factor with another.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anodizing is a form of aluminum oxide and it slows heat transfer by maybe 2%.
    It is used to add color and to keep aluminum parts from being damaged during handling.
    I lap the base of all anodized sinks.
    An Enhance EE here said just like Zippy they would not use the process on their PSU's HSs.

True, this coating generated in an electro chemical bath, is only about .0005" thick.
    Hard anodizing can get up to .0025" thick and can not be dyed to a color. It generally is black
    or very deep green.
    Worth a good looking over. http://www.badcaps.net/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GalvanizedYankee View Post
    Anodized sinks, bah! Enhance said they would not anodize because if the insulating factor (heat & current). Now they do it.
    The heatsinks transfer heat in two ways: radiation and convection. While convection isn't really affected by anodizing, radiation is very sensible to the color of the radiating object: black bodies absorb and radiate heat much faster, making your heatsink more efficient .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    195 Posts

Just an FYI for people looking at buying this PSU for four 6-pin or two 8-pin PEG connectors....

There are only two native 6-pin PCI-e connectors on the modular interface. Not four. These split into two PCI-e connectors each on the cable. Instead of splitting it off at the modular interface like the Seasonic M12-700, they daisy chain one connector to the next, which actually LOOKS better than four individual cables running down to the video cards, the resistance concerns me.

And the 8-pin is split off of the six-pin, which might be fine because you only lose the extra ground and the +12V sense that the new connector is able to provide. I guess the former car audio installer in me is concerned because I was programmed to think that DC circuits should have short ground wires than positive wire, or at least heavier gage wire. I could actually feel the difference in the temperature of the positive wire when I re-wired the ground wire on an amp to either a shorter wire or a thicker one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Micutzu View Post
    The heatsinks transfer heat in two ways: radiation and convection. While convection isn't really affected by anodizing, radiation is very sensible to the color of the radiating object: black bodies absorb and radiate heat much faster, making your heatsink more efficient .
    Carbon blackening is much more effective than anodizing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

so hows it coming?