Thread: Do I have a PSU problem?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Red face Do I have a PSU problem?

Hello all, 1st post here after spending lots of time reading the great reviews, researching the new available PSUs. I have a problem with my primary rig which I think may be due the the PSU, but I'm hoping some others here may have some input. My computer has problems booting up after being turned off for more than a couple of minutes. The LEDs will turn on and the fans will start turning, but after a second it stops, resets for a second, then trys to boot again, stops, repeats, etc. This can go on for hours if I let it. I need to pull the plug from the back of the PSU or flip the switch on the PSU to get it to stop. This happens 95% of the time, but once in a while I'll get lucky and it'll start. This has been happening for over a year now, but it wasn't a big deal since I left the computer on all the time. However, I'm tired of paying more and more for electricity to it's time to fix the problem and to get a more efficient PSU. Anyways, is the problem my PSU or do I need to investigate further. Any suggestions on a replacement PSU for this rig would also be greatly appreciated. It needs to be high efficient and quiet; modular would be nice. It's been a while since I've updated this computer so I'm not that certain about the specifics.

P4 2.4C O/Ced to about 3.3
    ABit AI7
    2 GB Mushkin RAM
    XT 850XT slightly O/Ced
    Fan Controller - CPU fan and 2 120mm case fans.
    CDRW
    DVDRW
    Floppy
    2 HDs (none are SATA)
    Sound Blaster Audigy ZS
    Several USB devices - Media reader, External HD, etc
    PSU - Antec TruePower 550

Any idea/suggestions? Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Halibass View Post
    Any suggestions on a replacement PSU for this rig would also be greatly appreciated. It needs to be high efficient and quiet; modular would be nice.
    Seasonic M-12 500 (modular, efficient and silent), Seasonic S-12 Energy Plus 550 (non-modular, efficient and deadly silent).
    Or if you want to save some money Silverstone Element Plus 500 (non-modular, efficient and silent).
    Or Enermax Liberty 500, Antec NeoHE 500. Both modular and silent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will add to the above recommendations, the Enhance ENP-5150GH. It's http://www.80plus.org/ certed and less expensive that any of the above.

Resetting a PSU inorder to force a PC to BOOT is just begging for problems. Hardware can and will be damaged by the practice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll definitely look into those recs. What about the Corsair 520? Can anybody forsee any problems with that one? A bit louder than the rest? Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

That doesn't sound like a PSU problem at all. Especially if it runs fine once it's already up and running. Especially if it does this on warm boots to when the drives are already spun up, etc.

Sounds like a motherboard problem to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Halibass it was 5:00am and I don't drink coffee anymore. Sorry for jumping the gun. (Yes the 520 Corsair is a VG unit with a 5 year warrenty)

jonnyGURU is probably right. Constant reboots is often motherboard caps saying good-bye. Read this page http://www.badcaps.net/ident/