Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Power distribution unit (PDU) important for UPS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up Is Power distribution unit (PDU) important for UPS

I went through APC frequently asked questions link :- http://www.schneider-electric.us/sit...&redirect=true Here APC recommends against the use of any surge protector, power strip or extension cord being plugged into the output of a UPS. I also red the articale at Wikipedia :- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_strip where it is said not to use a surge protected power strip with a UPS.

I am using a power strip on which I have plugged in everything my laptop, modem, router as well as my whole desktop and it's peripherals are plugged in to it. Is it really necessary to use a "power distribution unit" (PDU) with a UPS or an ordinary power strip the one I am using now is fine.

Do all cheap power strips come with some protection which hinders operation of UPS. Mine has a glowing led circuit breaker switch.

I am asking this because I have spent a lot of money importing a very nice pure sine wave UPS from the UK to India. What should I do. Should I buy a PDU unit. Even the first in the lowest range from Cyber Power is costing an expensive $145.63.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Captain rainbow View Post
    Here APC recommends against the use of any surge protector, power strip or extension cord
    Well, no: from what I've understood, they recommends against just surge protectors in order to prevent a possible UPS overload.

Do all cheap power strips come with some protection which hinders operation of UPS.
    No.

Mine has a glowing led circuit breaker switch.
    Sorry, I can't help: my not-so-educated guess is that your power strip shouldn't have a surge protector (I hope you may get a more educated advice than mine).
    Last edited by quest for silence; 01-23-2015 at 03:11 PM. Reason: grammar corrections

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is there a way to tell weather your power strip includes surge protection or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Either the strip box/docs or the label on the strip itself: a circuit breaker is meant to protect from shorts/current overdraw, a surge protector limits voltage spikes, there's no clue to say, and no need your strip have both, so it must be advertised somewhere, in case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I checked I have a belkin strip. I went to belkin website over there on surge protector section they have the same eight socket strip so mine is a surge protector.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Whether they are the same (and they do not just look the same), you can do your math: according to what advertised a surge protector in front of the UPS *might* fool the UPS itself about a possible overload, so you can either take the risk, or buy a simpler strip, or eventually put your Belkin behind your UPS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First, kudos for wanting to put your system on a UPS. IMO, every computer should be on a "good" UPS with AVR. Remember, with extreme high-voltage events like excessive surges or spikes, a surge and spike protector (S&SP) will simply (hopefully!) kill power to connected devices. Never good for computers. And a S&SP does absolutely nothing during low voltage events like dips (opposite of spikes), sags (opposite of surges) or long duration sags (brownouts) - any of which puts undue stain on the regulation circuits of electronics, cause instability, and/or unexpected shutdowns. Also, MOVs, the primary device in S&SPs used to absorb the excess voltage, wear and weaken with every "hit" and should be replaced regularly. The problem is, users don't usually find out when they need replacing until after the fact.

From my understanding, the problem with connecting a S&SP to a UPS (or UPS to a S&SP) is the UPS may see the load (or source) as unstable and either shutdown, constantly flip back and forth from mains to battery, or remain on battery back up.

Since virtually every UPS provides some form of surge and spike protection, connecting a UPS and S&SP together is like connecting two S&SPs together - in the best of circumstances, not necessary. But my advice is don't [ever!] use a surge and spike protector with a UPS!

And since even the best S&SPs are little more than fancy and expensive extension cords, I say don't use them at all. Just use your UPS. If you need more outlets on the output side of your UPS, use a power cord splitter like this that does not include any form of surge and spike protection. Then connect your low power devices like the DC power blocks for your network devices, USB power blocks and the like to the splitter.

APC suggesting you don't even use an extension cord is a bit misleading. The problem is, some users buy the cheapest extension cord they can find which are too lightweight for the connected loads. Or they are only two prong and don't provide a good ground. Or they are simply of poor quality. So I suspect APC's lawyers insisted they put that in there to cover their a$$.

And BTW, don't forget to use a "good" UPS with AVR on your big screen TV and home theater equipment too!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

Captain rainbow (01-28-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What about a power distribution unit ( PDU ) like this one:- http://www.cpsww.co.in/products/pdu/pdu20bhviec8r.htm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

To me it looks like a power strip in 19" rack format.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The description says it provides unfiltered electrical supply or pass through.