Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corsair CS550 with mostly Elite Caps?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

Well... I had the BOM because I wanted to see how the inrush circuit worked, but then, after this thread, decided to check the cap AVL (which was on the same spreadsheet). That triggered my asking why we would have Elite as first choice and Teapo as second. I'm curious to see what the engineers have to say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

The Elite EB are actually surprisingly good... At least from what I've seen in monitor I/PBs and some chargers. EJ, hovewer... not so much. They're below even Teapo SC, let alone SZ. If it has to be Elite, ask around why not EB series, please
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by McSteel View Post
    ask around why not EB series, please
    Why... way lower life ratings, Mac? Btw they look very similar to Teapo SD, don't they?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

By specs, they're at or above SZ levels. They're relatively new, I think they've been on the market for some 6 years at the most. I already said in another thread, the life rating doesn't necessarily have much to do with actual MTBF at all.
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

By specs, they're at or above SZ levels.
    I based the similarity on tan delta (and life ratings): the SZ should be 0.19 (EB 0.12/0.14, SD 0.12).

I already said in another thread, the life rating doesn't necessarily have much to do with actual MTBF at all.
    I always read your notes, McSteel, you know: I tried to answer to "why an engineer could refuse those caps?" Because of inferior life ratings, with reference to which "verba volant, scripta manent".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't see why we are all discussing which Elite or Teapo caps would be the best. At newegg right now, the XFX XTR 550W and Coolermaster V550W are both a few dollars cheaper than the CS550M, use 100% jap caps, have better fans, and are made by better known OEMs than GreatWall.

I'm not going to make any estimations here on whether they will fail too soon or not, but I'm just saying - If XFX and CM can include entirely Jap caps in a 550W 80plus gold unit for $80, why can't Corsair (or is Newegg just marking the CS550M up more?)
    No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the coils backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Might be the latter, as in PL CSM is significantly cheaper than Edge or XTR.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c_hegge View Post
    I don't see why we are all discussing which Elite or Teapo caps would be the best. At newegg right now, the XFX XTR 550W and Coolermaster V550W are both a few dollars cheaper than the CS550M, use 100% jap caps, have better fans, and are made by better known OEMs than GreatWall.

I'm not going to make any estimations here on whether they will fail too soon or not, but I'm just saying - If XFX and CM can include entirely Jap caps in a 550W 80plus gold unit for $80, why can't Corsair (or is Newegg just marking the CS550M up more?)
    The MSRP is roughly the same between all of them. Which means the margins on the XFX & Cooler Master units are either really low, or Corsair just likes sitting at a flat percentage on their units across the board.

I'd assume the later considering the pricing of Corsair units over the past few years, even when they were 99% identical to other ones on the market (like when they were using the original X-Series platform in the AX units.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c_hegge View Post
    I'm just saying - If XFX and CM can include entirely Jap caps in a 550W 80plus gold unit for $80, why can't Corsair (or is Newegg just marking the CS550M up more?)
    Another fan of one of the most frequent Spectre's critic to Corsair (I agree, to be clear)!

However, the CS-M has some minor advantage on its own (which don't overcome the quality issues), mainly the shy casing (very useful for compatibility reasons), and the maybe slightly quieter fan profile.