Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Planning a future build, looking for feedback

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Planning a future build, looking for feedback

All the details of the primary hardware is here and I usually edit the list when I come up with better alternatives.

I changed the PSU from the PFC 650 platinum to the Seasonic Platinum 660W according to the review I found from this place, although i didn't really find a review of the previous one, shame :P

Specifically today i was looking more into the CPU cooling. The Corsair H100i is kinda pricey, and the RaijinTek Triton is both cheaper, more appealing (imo) AND seems to be equal to better than its competition, according this.

However, I cannot find anyone to verify whether its radiator will fit within Corsair's 380T case. I can't seem to find anyone with a setup that includes both to verify that it can fit on the side rails, so any help is appreciated. The same, of course, goes to any feedback for this build. Cheers!
    Last edited by Coornio; 01-09-2015 at 05:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Usual question?

How are you planning on using it?

SSD is pricy and small. Do you need the pro? For $130 you get 250 GB with the 850 EVO.

I'm betting you will use the extra storage before you will use the extra speed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I'm betting he was gunning for endurance rather than speed there...
    That said, in non-enterprise workloads, the 250 EVO would take about 20 years to wear out.
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

A high-end PSU like the Seasonic Platinum 660W has enough power for three GTX 970's, but a ITX motherboard has only room for one. So what's the idea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
    How are you planning on using it?
    SSD is pricy and small. Do you need the pro? For $130 you get 250 GB with the 850 EVO.
    I'm betting you will use the extra storage before you will use the extra speed.
    How i'm planning to use it.. well, let's see. Sometimes I play games, but my current setup is fairly dated and quite underpowered for modern games, which i have to keep on medium or low in some cases to run at 1440x900. Yup. However I also dabble in a variety of activities, like converting video or rendering textures which are things that require that extra kick from the CPU. I reckon the GPU will provide the rest when it comes to gaming, which I am in quite a dire need of.
    The rest is kind of smooth sailing. Browsing, coding, the works i guess.

As for the SSD, yes, that durability is pretty important. I like moving files a lot so i'd rather it still works after several years no problem. The speed the PRO model offers over EVO seems higher too.
    My current one is an OCZ Vertex 2 which was already used when i got it, and i thought it was a 60GB model the entire time, until i looked into it and OCZ makes no mention of anything lower than 90GB. Likely explains why the total space after 3 years of operation the remainder of the SSD is a measly 55.5GB?

And yes, I have two other hard drives to put on this, so size won't be an issue just yet, i'm merely after durability and performance, and i plan to make some real use of this RAPID technology it has embedded, having 16GB of RAM to pass around.

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    A high-end PSU like the Seasonic Platinum 660W has enough power for three GTX 970's, but a ITX motherboard has only room for one. So what's the idea?
    Not quite, it adds up to like 690W (peak loads) which i'm sure the PSU will not appreciate :P

I think it's a good thing to give a PSU leeway. At absolute max load, this rig needs nearly 400W. I like to include maximum capacitor aging which will inevitably occur to some degree along the years, which brings the total up to 630W. Overkill of course, but i'd like to think there will be circumstances where I will try to overclock. All that coupled together overshoots 700W. I will never reach that much with this system, but the cool thing is that at average load this system will sit in the comfort zone of the PSU near the maximum efficiency rating it is capable of when i'm running intensive games. I'm likely overthinking it, but it's a good thing, is it not? Then again, i reckon i might upgrade my system again in the future and if my PSU is more than capable of providing power, I may not have to change it for a while. That's my side anyway, what do you guys think?

------------

Also still having no answers as to whether anyone knows for sure the Triton would fit the 380T. Here is the sideshot of the case and the rail which it will be sitting on, and a hi resolution picture of the radiator.
    Last edited by Coornio; 01-09-2015 at 07:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

The total power consumption will be less the 275W (DC) at all times, if you don't OC. And capacitor aging is BS. If the capacitors are failing you need a new PSU or replace the capacitors, extra useless power is still useless then. But high quality capacitors like the ones in the Seasonic should never fail, as long as you have the PSU.

So get a high quality 450W PSU and not something useless as a 660W PSU.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Coornio View Post
    I like to include maximum capacitor aging which will inevitably occur to some degree along the years, which brings the total up to 630W.
    That smells of Outervision, doesn't it?

Also still having no answers as to whether anyone knows for sure the Triton would fit the 380T. Here is the sideshot of the case and the rail which it will be sitting on, and a hi resolution picture of the radiator.
    Probably because none of us knows that "for sure".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    That smells of Outervision, doesn't it?
    Smells like brainwashed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Smells like brainwashed.
    Not really, but i like being on the safe side of things. However i do like efficient PSUs, can't blame me there. I'll look into it more and see if i can find something equally decent in a lower wattage range as you suggest, but if i need a higher watt PSU in the near future after i get my new one you're liable :P

-- Will likely edit soon with picks, stay tuned, unless you have suggestions yourself. In the meantime, keep the feedback coming.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'll look into it more and see if i can find something equally decent in a lower wattage range
    It's hard to find: however, that's for instance a nice 500W (and a nice 400W too).