Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad video card?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Bad video card?

Hello everyone!

So, here's my problem: I've just bought a new video card (been using the onboard Intel graphics until now) and PSU. Every time I push the start button, the PC keeps reseting itself after a few seconds. Sometimes it makes it to the POST screen and then rebootsor just hangs there, sometimes the screen stays black and I can hear the login sound. After about 5-10 reboots, it starts up and everything works fine. I tested it in games and 3dmark and it works flawlessly, which makes me think that the PSU is not the issue here.

It also boots just fine with the onboard graphics, as long as the video card is not installed, but reboots if it is. The video card supply cables are ok (the card has LEDs that show if the cables are plugged in correctly). The fan speeds, voltages and temps are more than ok. I also tested it with an old video card and it booted up without any glitches.

System:
    Gigabyte Z87MX-D3H
    i7 4770K
    Crucial Ballistix 2x8
    1 SSD, 2 HDDs
    Asus 280X CUII Top
    Antec Truepower Classic 550W

It'm guessing it's the card, but I wanted to make sure before I send it back. Any help will be appreciated.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Can you lend the card to a friend for a quick boot test?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No one I know has a PSU with 6+8. I could put mine in, but that wouldn't take it out of the equation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Solved It was the PCIe x16 slot, the card works in the x8 one. I guess it's a matter of "use it or lose it"

Joking aside, I think the latch is to blame here, it doesn't really give a reassuring click when it closes. I tried an MSI 4850 before in the x16 slot and it worked, but the Asus 280X is considerably heavier. Maybe it sags down and doesn't connect properly? And if so, is there any way to fix it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Drosophil View Post
    Maybe it sags down and doesn't connect properly?
    Who knows? Any troubleshooting should be done with the mobo horizontally placed: did you do so?

And if so, is there any way to fix it?
    Hard to say: I have had just one occurrence of a similar fault over the years, tried first reballing all the slot joints, and then swapping it alltogether with a new one by a repair lab, but it didn't worked (so mine probably was not a simple mechanical damage).

So, definitely I'm not aware of any easy/proven fix.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    Who knows? Any troubleshooting should be done with the mobo horizontally placed: did you do so?
    Now that you mention it, the 280X didn't work horizontally either, but the 4850 did. So the latch doesn't have anything to do with it, and the slot works, just not with the new card. It's not an issue since at least now the computer works, but it's very odd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Now that you mention it, the 280X didn't work horizontally either, but the 4850 did. So the latch doesn't have anything to do with it, and the slot works, just not with the new card. It's not an issue since at least now the computer works, but it's very odd.
    Providing the 280X is not faulty (you might run a Heaven/Valley test of enough hours in the 8X slot in order to get some clue about that), it might be something related to the mobo power circuitry, but there's a big IF: I don't know whether the two PCIE 16x (ok, 1 is 8x) shares the same power circuitry or not (I guess there should be something different given to the fact that your system works with the 280X in the 8x slot).

Even if you got your issue at boot, when GPU isn't stressed at all, personally I would probably perform a simple test with the CPU at stock settings (no OC) and the HD4850, overvolted and overclocked to a known/proven level, in the 16x slot: I would run some hours of FurMark (to maximize the power draw) looking for a shut down (less likely a BSOD). If the shut down occurred, there are chances that it could be the mobo to need an RMA (or to be replaced), while if it doesn't occur, likely you could say nothing about that.

Anyway, anything I said has to be taken with more than a grain of salt: these are not proper/standard troubleshooting techniques, just some trial&error tentatives which came into mind.

A much more straight approach would be pursuable whether the mobo were under the warranty coverage and you have a local, handy technical support: given the fact that the 280X flawlessly worked (?) in the 8x, while not in the 16x, that would be enough to require a proper, official technical assistance for the mobo.

Have a good luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's quite a good idea, actually. I'll do the two stress tests: one with the 280X in the x8 slot and one with the 4850 in the 16x slot, and see which one cracks. It would be funny to see that both tests run fine, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That may be, but unfortunately something is rotten there in the state of Romania.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But if indeed you find him not within this month, you shall nose him as you go up the stairs into the lobby.