Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Planning a future build, looking for feedback

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Hot air is always going up, so it will stay in the PSU, the PSU is just not build for upside down use.

This warning is there for a reason.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/S...psu_notice.jpg
    Mask, I can't repeat the same more than twice, I won't change my mind, there are lots of experiences around overheating the fanless Seasonics, you need an hair dryer.

Besides I know that PSU: I got three since 2010, two gold and a plat, if you like I can mail those somehow useless stickers to your door.

Those PSUs have already been used the "wrong way" ("wrong" at least according to Seasonic) countless of times, without hiccups, and it can also be fairly used straight inside the 380T, with or without the 2nd optional front intake fan.

Said that, "hot air rises" is a generalization which doesn't work always, particularly in a closed environment like a PC enclosure, with its own, specific fluid dynamics due to the presence of inlets/outlets, heatsink and case fans, which counteract in various ways the natural but inefficient free convection (not to mention that "hot air rises" works for fanned PSUs also, but nonetheless they are all mounted fan facing downwards without worries).

Perhaps, particularly without a dedicated intake fan, the heat will evacuate more slowly? It may well be, but at the same time there likely won't be any serious concern with reference to heath build up, in case, it hasn't been an issue for me and for many other people.

Don't you feel comfortable with my experience and thoughts? That's really no problem, mate: do what you think best, I already shared my point.
    Last edited by quest for silence; 01-10-2015 at 09:12 AM. Reason: grammar corrections

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Capacitor aging is not BS, it is real - just not near the problem it was 15+ years ago - at least not with quality PSUs and caps. ALL electronic devices (especially power supplies) age and weaken over time - but capacitors got the attention because they aged and weakened so dramatically. If you want to factor in capacitor aging, I say go for it, but stick to 10%. Don't go overboard with more or you will end up spending more for a much bigger supply than you need.

Don't think of adding capacitor aging to compensate for capacitor aging. Think of it as adding headroom for future upgrades, expansions, or to use that PSU in another computer some time down the road. The PSU is one of the few components you can carry forward during upgrades or with an entirely new build. Buying conservative to meet your needs today may mean you will have to buy a new PSU in a couple years, instead of being able to bring the PSU forward.

Some feel you should only buy the size you need for today. And that is fine for today and "tactically" correct. But "strategically", it may be poor long-term planning. I like to look 3 or 4 years down the road when I know I will likely be looking at upgrading or a new build. And not wanting to retire yet another perfectly functional, but too small PSU before its time, I see no harm in buying a bit bigger than I need today to ensure I can support what I want tomorrow.

Why are you looking at alternative cooling if not doing extreme overclocking? Note in spite of past history, OEM coolers are excellent at providing adequate cooling, even with mild to moderate overclocking. They are even much quieter than OEMs of yesteryear such that, with good case cooling, you won't hear the CPU fan.

In the Corsair Graphite 380T case it's impossible to get enough cooling for the PSU.
    When I first saw that was a mini-ITX case, I was worried about cooling in general. But now with this case, I don't. That is the biggest, fattest ITX case I have ever seen! As seen here, that case has a 140mm fan in front and a 120mm in back. That should provide plenty of air flow through that barrel shaped case to keep all inside cool. But you can replace the 140mm front fan with a monster 200mm if you want, and add several more fans throughout. So that case can provide plenty of cool air for any PSU. But I agree if using a fanless PSU, have the vents on top.

Since that case uses a PSU mounting bracket you mount first to the PSU, then mount the bracket to the case, it looks like you can orient a PSU either way.

It does have a ventilation hole as shown below, but it's directly below the motherboard, which would dissipate the heat beneath it.
    Well, heat rises. That said, if you watch the video, they recommend installing the PSU (an AX860i in this example) with the PSU fan on the bottom so it can draw cool, filtered air from below.

Actually, after watching that video, that is an impressive case for cooling options.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ain't it one sexy beast ^_^

Before I decided on this one i was thinking of the Corsair 250D but it's so painfully boxy. Nice for putting things on top of it but i think i had some size issues.

Also, after watching the video i'm pretty confident the Triton radiator will fit there no problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is, though personally, I am not one for fancy cases as I think a case should sit quietly and discreetly off to side and not draw attention to itself. After all, I tend to pay attention to what's on my monitors.

But that case is intriguing looking and does offer lots of excellent fan support - in spite of being an ITX case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Coornio View Post

Before I decided on this one i was thinking of the Corsair 250D but it's so painfully boxy. Nice for putting things on top of it but i think i had some size issues.
    Aesthetics is an highly subjective matter: I can't speak about AIOs, but on air cooling some other designs offer more than current Corsair lineup (either the 380T or the 250D: I am thinking to the proven Bitfenix Prodigy and Prodigy M, or to the alu-made Rosewill Legacy W1 - about AIOs there's a nice video from Bill Owen of MNPCTech -, and eventually, with some limitations, to the tiny but well crafted Ncase M1, which is an expensive but exclusive option), while perhaps being not so "boxy" as the Obsidian 250D looked to you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For my HTPC, have the Lian-Li Aluminum Q07. I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love it because it supports a standard size ATX PSU and large graphics cards too. The case is full of holes - a good thing as the PSU fan pulls enough cool air in through all those holes to keep everything else remarkably cool. That said, because HTPCs don't need a lot of horsepower to serve as a DVR and Blu-ray player, not much heat is generated anyway.

It comes with vibration isolators for the drives, also good.

What I don't like is the case is too small to work with (a common problem with ITX cases). I cannot have my hands (or even hand) in there and still see what I am doing. Not fun when trying to connect cables to the motherboard. I guess I like mid-tower cases because I can crawl inside them to work.

The other downside is not really a problem with the case, but my Blu-ray drive. The aluminum case is actually really good at suppressing noise and vibrations. I cannot hear the Intel OEM fan and I have a Mushkin 500W PSU in there which is absolutely silent. So silent, the only noise I hear is the Blu-ray drive when it spins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, regardless of value or looks, what kind of cases would you guys pick for a mini ITX? Drive bay is optional since I do have DVD writer but i hardly ever put anything in that thing, it's kind of useless. My two picks are the 380T and the 250D from Corsair, but i prefer the former solely due to looks

Ultimately of course, the case i pick will depend both on price and availability, but i like to keep my options open for now

EDIT: Oh, i was wondering, is that motherboard a decent deal? It's like everywhere i turn to see "gaming" mITX builds everyone goes with those Impact mobos from Asus. How come?
    Last edited by Coornio; 01-11-2015 at 02:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well if price is no object.

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-o5s/

Using a riser card to lay the graphics card down parallel to the MB.

Pretty slick. Don't know if the market is there...how many gamers are that hard up for space? But I do think it looks well thought out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, regardless of value or looks, what kind of cases would you guys pick for a mini ITX?
    IMO there cannot be a straight answer: it depends.

Where size is the main factor, maybe something like a Silverstone ML08 (but no support for dual-rad), where noise level is more important, probably a larger Rosewill Legacy W1 (or the Bitfenix Prodigy), where I should need a certain number of disk drives, perhaps I'd look also at a Fractal Design Node 304: definitely, it depends.

Oh, i was wondering, is that motherboard a decent deal?
    IMO absolutely yes, even better, all your current list looks to me pretty balanced (maybe I will pick those RAM: F3-2400C11D-16GAB).

It's like everywhere i turn to see "gaming" mITX builds everyone goes with those Impact mobos from Asus. How come?
    Marketing: ROG, Republic of Gamers (IMO, obviously).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@quest_for_silence

No, double slot support is a must for an mITX case. Can't put a decent GPU in without that. I'm not sure what you mean by noise level though. Are you talking about air flow and thus fan noise? As for disk drives, 2 and 2 for SSD/HDD is a good ratio for a case this small. I like the 380T and 250D because they're both bigger than HTPC kinda cases and just small enough so you don't need surgical precision tools to meddle with their hardware. Easy access is preferable, especially when it's time for maintenance, which i reckon will be a must with a water cooler, right?

The reason i picked this specific RAM is that it's rated at 1.5V operational. Sure, 1.65V is perfectly fine too, if not just a bit more stressful to the controller. I am not entirely sure though if i should be apprehensive of something like that. Are there points i can weigh on both cases to make a decision?

Marketing I get, people go with the flow. Point is, that thing's expensive, and it doesn't seem to offer ANYTHING more than the one I picked, besides maybe better, customizable BIOS which is not something i would shell out 50€+ on.

Quote Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
    For my HTPC, have the Lian-Li Aluminum Q07. I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love it because it supports a standard size ATX PSU and large graphics cards too. The case is full of holes - a good thing as the PSU fan pulls enough cool air in through all those holes to keep everything else remarkably cool. That said, because HTPCs don't need a lot of horsepower to serve as a DVR and Blu-ray player, not much heat is generated anyway.

It comes with vibration isolators for the drives, also good.
    Looks decent, but I don't like the fact that it doesn't have more space available for hard drives. One SSD and HDD and done? NOPE!
    Also there's only one PCI slot there, which means no high end GPU either. NOPE!

Oh i should probably mention that I keep my computer open for days on end, so the built-in fan controller on the 380T is actually a VERY nice touch for when i need to turn them to their lowest during night time. I always set the power plan to maximum power saving possible during that time so there shouldn't be anything at all to request any considerable sort of air cooling. In fact, with the CPU being water cooled, the GPU could deal with its heat quite fine on its own and the PSUs we looked at are all pretty heat resilient. I'm confident the included fans won't need replacing, although a big 200mm one with a pretty led backdrop does sound diddily :P
    Last edited by Coornio; 01-11-2015 at 06:56 PM.