Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Planning a future build, looking for feedback

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    It's hard to find: however, that's for instance a nice 500W (and a nice 400W too).
    I digress, it's actually quite easy to find hardware using pcpartpicker. At least that's the first place i go to find hardware in general and then narrow it down to a list of things i might possibly find later at a nearby store.

In any case, if what -The_Mask- says is true, then this build should not exceed 400W even if the CPU was upped to like 4.5GHz and the GPU had a nice 10% boost to its clocks. In that case, i think my first choice would be the Seasonic X-400 V2. There's also a review here at this site which tickles me in all the right places. It's almost perfectly up to par with the model i had picked.

What saddens me is that there's not a lot of in-depth reviews of hardware like the ones here. I'm very picky about things and I like comparing pros and cons. In this case the V2 model seems superior to the original but i can't tell the differences in the models that easily. I mean, there's SS-###FL# (Active PFC F3).. what are all these things? Halp!

OK i've figured out on my own that the FL actually stands for FanLess (derp) and the number after it is actual the version number, so 2 is the V2 model while no number is the first revision. I still don't know what the Active PFC model offers that is different from the default though.
    It seems to just be secondary tag to the default branding. However there's two models, one in X Series which i believe is the first iteration, and one in Platinum which i believe is the second. Am I right?
    Last edited by Coornio; 01-09-2015 at 09:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Coornio View Post
    Not really, but i like being on the safe side of things. However i do like efficient PSUs, can't blame me there. I'll look into it more and see if i can find something equally decent in a lower wattage range as you suggest, but if i need a higher watt PSU in the near future after i get my new one you're liable :P

-- Will likely edit soon with picks, stay tuned, unless you have suggestions yourself. In the meantime, keep the feedback coming.
    Nah. 500W is enough for any single GPU system. Also, never use the capacitor aging thing on a calculator. It's a complete load of garbage, especially if you get a PSU with entirely Japanese caps. Those will take 10-15 years to age to the point where they have a meaningful impact on a PSU's performance. something like a Seasonic G-550 or G-450 would do you just fine with a single 970.

After all, it's not like you'll be able to use SLi or Xfire on that motherboard.

EDIT: whoops, Missed the second page. It seems like you've pretty much got all that covered. The X-400 would be a good option also.
    No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the coils backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I digress, it's actually quite easy to find hardware using pcpartpicker.
    Maybe you didn't get me: it's hard to find *in the whole PSU market* relatively low wattage top-quality PSUs, because the whole industry offers quite a few of these units: as a matter of fact there are probably just two units around the 400W mark (but one should be EOL).

but i can't tell the differences in the models that easily. I mean, there's SS-###FL# (Active PFC F3).. what are all these things? Halp!
    Please do not use light (or dark) colors for text.

I still don't know what the Active PFC model offers that is different from the default though.
    That particular marking does not "mark" any difference (and IIRC that "Active PFC F3" was there on Seasonic units since at least 2009).

However there's two models, one in X Series which i believe is the first iteration, and one in Platinum which i believe is the second. Am I right?
    Maybe even the third one, I don't recall quite well.
    At any rate, it doesn't really matter, the current one is the 80Plus Platinum-certified series (while those fanless gold-rated X-Series are no more produced since about three years).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

A passive PSU isn't really an option with your case. Rosewill Capstone is a good option.

Why are you looking for such expensive CPU coolers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    Maybe you didn't get me: it's hard to find *in the whole PSU market* relatively low wattage top-quality PSUs, because the whole industry offers quite a few of these units: as a matter of fact there are probably just two units around the 400W mark (but one should be EOL).

Please do not use light (or dark) colors for text.

That particular marking does not "mark" any difference (and IIRC that "Active PFC F3" was there on Seasonic units since at least 2009).

Maybe even the third one, I don't recall quite well.
    At any rate, it doesn't really matter, the current one is the 80Plus Platinum-certified series (while those fanless gold-rated X-Series are no more produced since about three years).
    1) True, true.
    2) There was no strikethrough option :P
    3) (applies to #1 too) lots of repetition in pcpartpicker's list due to naming fails then.
    4) Kinda doubt it, X series and Platinum are the only two ones i see pop up. If there's another one it must be older or another brand entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    A passive PSU isn't really an option with your case. Rosewill Capstone is a good option.

Why are you looking for such expensive CPU coolers?
    OK you may call the brainwashed tag on me for this, but if i'm getting a new PSU i would like it to be fairly efficient and capable of what it's doing. These fanless models appear to have been tested by others and they've survived many hours of stress tests in upwards of 50 degrees so i'm kinda wowzed. They also produce 0% noise from a fan, which is always a plus in my book.

In any case, this build is kind of a preliminary, finding the best possible pieces of hardware to work together for a decent and not too terribly expensive system (although it is expensive >_>).

My current PSU is a Coolermaster Silent Pro 600W. I read the reviews about it, it's not too shabby. Considering it doesn't reach nearly as much as 600W of load it likely operates near its best possible efficiency, which is Silver level worth. I've had it for quite some years now, maybe upwards of 5 and it's never been opened to ascertain the state of its innards (besides dusty beyond recognition since last year's pressure blow) so i'm not sure what kinda state it's in.
    If it's still in good condition i may not need to get a new PSU at all (even though i would really like a platinum one *grumble*)
    Last edited by Coornio; 01-10-2015 at 05:49 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

A passive PSU isn't really an option with your case.
    Naaa... you're over worried: there are really no compelling reasons to reject a fanless Seasonic or Super Flower, even if the case could be more functionally picked, indeed.

4) Kinda doubt it, X series and Platinum are the only two ones i see pop up. If there's another one it must be older or another brand entirely.
    I was referring to the fact that there have been three major revisions of the fanned gold-rated X-series, while I don't recall that well whether there has been just one revision of their fanless siblings, or not.

They also produce 0% noise from a fan, which is always a plus in my book.
    At the same time I won't bank on fanless Seasonics "0% noise", as they are well known for their random but weird electronic noise: at any rate, with that Raijintek AIO and the stock Corsair case fans, PSU silence would be, more probably that not, among the last of your noise-related concerns.

In any case, this build is kind of a preliminary, finding the best possible pieces of hardware to work together for a decent and not too terribly expensive system (although it is expensive >_>).
    Where a traditional tower-like enclosure is ruled out aesthetically wise, a cube case is probably a better pick than the 380T (cooling wise, compatibility wise, money wise, et caetera).

(even though i would really like a platinum one *grumble*)
    You don't really nead a reason to be "decked out", I guess.

By the way, at idle/very low loads, where the upcoming rig will spent most of its life, your PSU isn't too far from the efficiency of Gold/Platinum Seasonics (about 2W more?): at the expected load levels however it should be noisier, and on average 5-6% less efficient over the 50W mark.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

While the Seasonic Platinum Series Fanless 400W is a efficient PSU, it still needs cooling. In the Corsair Graphite 380T case it's impossible to get enough cooling for the PSU.

The Seasonic Platinum Series Fanless 400W needs to be with the "fan" grill to the top so the hot air can get away. But that's impossible with you case, because the motherboard tray is on top. So there is no way that the PSU for the PSU to get enough cool air, so it will probably overheat.

That's why the http://pcpartpicker.com/part/rosewil...y-capstone450m is much better option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

In the Corsair Graphite 380T case it's impossible to get enough cooling for the PSU.
    I repeat myself, you're over worried: the scenario is not even close to "optimal", but at the same time it is even much more far from "impossible".
    The fanless Seasonic can work well upside down, and there's enough clearance over it if you wanna run it straight (moreover, mounting it straight, in the 380T there should be room for a second front intake for the lower chamber, IIRC, and that way the upper grille will act like an intake, not an exhaust).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

Hot air is always going up, so it will stay in the PSU, the PSU is just not build for upside down use.

This warning is there for a reason.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/S...psu_notice.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interestingly enough, both the Seasonic 660W Platinum and the Seasonic SS-520FL2 are the exact same price for me. The SS-460FL2 and SS-400FL2 step the price down by a further 10€ each.

-The_Mark- has a point however. This case doesn't have very good ventilation for fanless units. It does have a ventilation hole as shown below, but it's directly below the motherboard, which would dissipate the heat beneath it. I reckon it wouldn't really get too warm, since the fanless model scored lower temperatures in the hotbox than the fanned model, lol.

Here's the picture of the PSU bay:

-------------------------------------------------

In any case, the PSU i'll choose is not my top priority when it comes to hardware. I do like talking about this kind of stuff however, and I learn new things while doing my research, so yay

PS. I've no idea if it's possible to size images down, in other forums it's usually done automatically after loading so they don't mess up the forum layout