Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: EVGA Supernova P2 1600W Review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Overkill not exist. Special when that was RMA.
    Like I say on first place was silent operation with fan disabled and PSU to stay cold.
    I don't like to PSU work 80-90% and fan to scream on 1800-2000RPM.
    And I would like to see what will happen with if you OC only one graphic card as
    GTX780Ti Classified under water and Intel 6 core on 750W example. That would be very loud and hot PSU before shut down or restart.
    Off course I knew R9-295X is dual card. Like I say I had every combination in mind even possibility to buy one day maybe dual graphic for less money only if NVIDIA launch something similar. You never know what will happen. If I read good in one review R9-295X reach 720-730W in some moments not overclocked and with normal Intel 4 core. It's normal to PSU work on 70-80%, if you have more powerful and work only 50% and don't need fan... That's perfect scenario.
    It's easiest way to buy 700W and push him to scream and work 90-100% next 5 years.
    But most expensive power supplies are good units without fan. How to reach that with strong graphic 200MHz overclocked by fabric and processor on 4.5GHz...
    Simply with 200W more even in worse situation during next years.
    I have Seasonic X-750 4-5 years old in house, when 3DMark 11 start fan ...I think that's max speed.
    He didn't spin so much with previous card before GTX780Ti overclocked by fabric...I could imagine if I replace processor with 6 core, something more, next graphic card with similar power consumption under water... 1000W would be perfect for space and for everything.
    But this is only little more space, less temperatures inside PSU.
    i7-5820K(4.0GHz-H100)- Rampage 5 Extreme- Dominator Platinum 2666MHz 4x4GB-
    EVGA GTX780Ti K|NGP|N Classified - Force GT 120/WD500AAKS - Sound Blaster Z - EVGA 1200 P2 - Obsidian 650D

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Vlada011 View Post
    Overkill not exist.
    That's (just) your point of view, and you can legitimately use any PSU you want according to it, while power draw is a mere figure.

Like I say on first place was silent operation with fan disabled and PSU to stay cold.
    Any semi passive PSU won't run "cold" with >250W load (not to mention your previous NEX wasn't that much quiet).

And I would like to see what will happen with if you OC only one graphic card as GTX780Ti Classified under water and Intel 6 core on 750W example. That would be very loud and hot PSU before shut down or restart.
    Most of the quoted data are already referred to oc'ed LGA2011 6 or 8 cores CPUs: I already specified the boundary of my reasoning in the previous post, and pointed out the relevant exceptions; above all, what's just possible, what's expected and what's reasonable are all different things.

Off course I knew R9-295X is dual card. Like I say I had every combination in mind even possibility to buy one day maybe dual graphic for less money only if NVIDIA launch something similar. You never know what will happen.
    You should buy a Corsair AX1500i PSU then: by the way, broadly speaking very seldom I've seen people buying high end SLI/CF if they didn't plan on going that way since start.

If I read good in one review R9-295X reach 720-730W in some moments not overclocked and with normal Intel 4 core.
    If I understood your words, those should be AC figures at the wall, not the actual power draw (which should then be around 650W DC): given that, you're talking about an 8-threads Ivy Bridge overclocked to 4.8GHz. In the Corsair Lab the Haswell-E showed a power consumption delta of about 130-150W at most when oc'ed, while such an Ivy oc'ed to 4.8GHz should draw about 100-120W more than stock. Summarizing, you should expect a modest 60-80W increment over that 650W mark in the worst case scenario.

It's easiest way to buy 700W and push him to scream and work 90-100% next 5 years.
    But most expensive power supplies are good units without fan. How to reach that with strong graphic 200MHz overclocked by fabric and processor on 4.5GHz...
    Simply with 200W more even in worse situation during next years.
    Sorry, I'm not sure to have understood what you wrote here above.

I have Seasonic X-750 4-5 years old in house, when 3DMark 11 start fan ...I think that's max speed.
    That's just because Seasonic doesn't build particularly quiet PSUs: an eVGA G2 750 will probably run much quieter under the same scenario, as well as a Corsair HX750i (and probably the Corsair RM750 too), or even a more modest Enermax Platimax 600 (and maybe the Platimax 750 too).

He didn't spin so much with previous card before GTX780Ti overclocked by fabric...I could imagine if I replace processor with 6 core, something more, next graphic card with similar power consumption under water... 1000W would be perfect for space and for everything.
    As I tried to explain above, more probably that not the main factor isn't the rated wattage, but the specific PSU: Seasonic is known for a rather conservative approach to cooling. Another example is the eVGA P2 1000: if you look at TechPowerUp! reviews, the P2 1000 is quieter than the P2 1200 at about any power level (and both should be quieter than the reviewed P2 1600, but I'm waiting for the relevant crmaris review, to have a punctual confirmation about).

But this is only little more space, less temperatures inside PSU.
    The PSU internal temperature isn't affected by the rated wattage that much.
    Last edited by quest for silence; 12-27-2014 at 03:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I couldn't buy AX1500i because I didn't buy this.
    I got to choose one PSU from G2/P2 series as replace for my NEX1500 Classified.
    And options are 1000 P2 - 1200 P2 - 1300 G2 and 1600W.
    I chose for my opinion best option, 1200 P2.
    I could choose and 1600 because guy in my town want to buy only SuperNOVA 1600 and to sell him immediately for 300-350e and keep my old Seasonic. But I need new and nice PSU for next 5-6 years and I don't like to sell presents. That's it.
    I can bet 99% people would have done same on my place or 1600W.
    Eco Switch and Platinum efficiency for me was better option than 400W more.
    I would be satisfied and with 1000 P2.
    Maybe I will buy 750 G2 during 2015 but as backup option because Seasonic is 5 years and after I sell him for very good offer.
    2 power supplies in house and 2 graphic cards are necessary.
    i7-5820K(4.0GHz-H100)- Rampage 5 Extreme- Dominator Platinum 2666MHz 4x4GB-
    EVGA GTX780Ti K|NGP|N Classified - Force GT 120/WD500AAKS - Sound Blaster Z - EVGA 1200 P2 - Obsidian 650D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you WOLF for the tests that you did for the EVGA 1600 P2, it was great and I was able to get it for $339.99 (plus a $30.00 rebate check from Newegg.com). The grand total came out to $309.99. It's now $329.99 (after rebates since 12/29/2014). I believe the upcoming review on the T2 that you're going to do won't be that far off from the P2. Also (from your review) the only reason why you didn't rate it higher than 9.5 was:

1) because of EVGA's mistake of sending two of the same first run PSUs (LOL !!!).

2) with the current rebates, you're now in line with the other companies selling their PSUs for that much. Personally to me for $310.00 you're not going to find a better PSU. Aside from that, I think you would've have given this a 9.9 or a perfect 10 score. I'm sure that the T2 will receive that kind of score but to me it'll be splitting hairs, and I don't think spending an extra $140.00 for the T2 will be worth it (in my opinion). Essentially they are (to me) both the same in their quality and performance.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    I am FLOORED by how few users have their PC plugged into a UPS. Absolutely FLOORED.
    On a side note, I DO very much agree with you that ALL of us need to have a separate Backup Power Supply dedicated solely to your PSU; like the CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (make sure it's Sinewave for that PSU) and also getting a CyberPower 1350AVR for the rest of your PC stuff (like your monitors and external peripherals and). It's only wise as I went through a very bad situation that not only destroyed my systems but ALL of my hard drives and back up hard drives and I lost almost a years worth of work. That was truly devastating and not something that I want want to ever be repeated.

Lastly, the only reason why I went with the EVGA 1600 P2 is because of the theory from Silverstone Tek's: More Wattage, less draw over time. Here's the link:

http://www.silverstonetek.com/techta...n&tid=wh10_005

Joel at Silverstone Tek was very helpful to me understanding the science behind this and I still purchase better quality, higher wattage power supplies for my personal builds for this reason. If you want to see two of my builds, then please go here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/top...e-hackinbeast/

and this one:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/top...on-lime-twist/
    Last edited by PunkNugget; 03-15-2015 at 01:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Who needs a 1kW PSU?

I see there that there are PSU of 1kW, 1.2kW and 1.6kW too...
    Is there someone who really needs that monsters?

A tri way, or even a 4 way SLI can't consume more than 800W if so,
    so what is the sense of a 1.6kW PSU?
    I'm talking about computers PSUs not server one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts

A game PC with four R9 290X cards and two CPU's with OC, or a mining rig with 6 graphics cards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sblantipodi View Post
    I see there that there are PSU of 1kW, 1.2kW and 1.6kW too...
    Is there someone who really needs that monsters?
    Ahem...

Attachment 2055

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now I understand why you keep mentioning your bills. Ever thought about going green?

This reminds me when a friend told me that in college they replaced the fuse in their dorm room with a nail...because of reasons.
    Sent from my PC using my browser.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts

He doesn't have a power bill. Comes with the house.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Now I understand why you keep mentioning your bills. Ever thought about going green?
    Actually power's included in rent. It's the other bills that are the problem.

The hardware in that picture is the only reason why I didn't retire from PSU reviewing in October, November, and December this year. Things have been very, very bad financially. Too many issues with high profile PSUs over the last few months that have kept me from selling them to get the income I need to live on.

I am not yet ruling out the need to drop everything and go job hunting soon. Things are ok right now, but it wouldn't take much at this point to ruin it completely.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    He doesn't have a power bill. Comes with the house.
    Well... it's included in rent. Which has gone up. Not enough to stop mining, fortunately.