Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HarHarHar! - GF8800 to use 400+ Watts!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default HarHarHar! - GF8800 to use 400+ Watts!

Make sure to read the first comment - Funny as hell!

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4442

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The first post does make many pertinent points. I may have to start working on my fast breeder reactor to power my rig. With shrinking process technologies, one would expect the power consumption to reverse itself or at the very least stay put. Now this is really getting out of hand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts

This sucks.

Die sizes and power consumption are supposed to be LESS in the evolution of a product, not more. Otherwise, you're just "overclocking" existing product with better yields.

What really pisses me off is that Intel "quietly" caved in on the 240VA rail limit for the ATX12V standard. Rail separation has good intentions, but with power hungry GPU's, the 240VA limit simply doesn't work (unless there's a separate rail for each PCI-e like the OCZ GameXstream and Ultra X-Finity 800W)

I'm not saying I "fault" Intel, but if they stood their ground on the ATX12V standard of no rail over 240VA, then GPU manufactures would have to improve power efficiency because no ATX12V power supply would power their high end cards!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I see the GPU market heading the way of the Prescott, where clock frequency was bumped up by adding more and more pipelines, which ofcourse necessitated humongous L2 and even L3 caches to prevent pipeline stalls. All this extra silicon was consuming a lot of power, which was exarcerbated by leakage problems and this equated to massive heat issues.

While Intel moved onto smaller process technology, power budgets came crashing down only upon implimenting an efficient architecture. The Netburst crap really didn't cut it anymore.

However, with GPU's I don't think these guys have the freedom to restructure architecture as CPU's, because they have to adhere to DX and OpenGL models. Plus, the GDDR in use is not the most energy efficient device on board. ATI did overhaul their architecture, but sadly I don't see the horizon in terms of hogging power. With GDDR4 and a smaller process (x1950 series), power consumption seems to have levelled out.

I am really scared for ATI now, they have had the hottest and most inefficient cards on the market so far. DX 10 could make everybody sit up and say FU, this is enough!
    Software readings are crap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

As I have become famous....or infamous for saying elsewhere....I'll believe those power figures when I see them (do remember the chicken littling of 6800 power consumption which i have running on a 270w Topower). A recommendation for a 450w PSU for hte whole system when the system recommendation for a 7950 is 400w hardly makes for the 350w GPU's people were predicting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nothing new there, but nVidia is sure making this DX10 revolution hard for us PSU "gurus".
    -dB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Super Nade View Post
    I see the GPU market heading the way of the Prescott, where clock frequency was bumped up by adding more and more pipelines, which ofcourse necessitated humongous L2 and even L3 caches to prevent pipeline stalls. All this extra silicon was consuming a lot of power, which was exarcerbated by leakage problems and this equated to massive heat issues.

While Intel moved onto smaller process technology, power budgets came crashing down only upon implimenting an efficient architecture. The Netburst crap really didn't cut it anymore.

However, with GPU's I don't think these guys have the freedom to restructure architecture as CPU's, because they have to adhere to DX and OpenGL models. Plus, the GDDR in use is not the most energy efficient device on board. ATI did overhaul their architecture, but sadly I don't see the horizon in terms of hogging power. With GDDR4 and a smaller process (x1950 series), power consumption seems to have levelled out.

I am really scared for ATI now, they have had the hottest and most inefficient cards on the market so far. DX 10 could make everybody sit up and say FU, this is enough!
    There's a glaring misinterpritation here. Intel did not add more pipelines, they added more stages to the existing pipes. This means that each calculation had more stages in a longer pipe to go through. nVidia is adding parallel pipelines to execute more calculations simultaneously, not to speed up the clockspeed. In essesnce it's similar to adding another core where the pipes (cores) are parallel to one another.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default If it gets that bad

They'll just have to put the power connector right on the back of the card like monitors have! 120-240VAC direct input.

The brick idea -sans voodoo 6000 - may make a comeback.

Imagine the UPS manufacturers needing to add GPU power plant onto the list along with laser printers of things NOT to plug into your UPS!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The brick idea is alive and kicking!

Anyone with two GF8800GTX's in SLI with a quad core kentfield is going to need a LOT of power.

Overclocked kentfield system with 1.65vcore, 2GB ram, and a LOW power X300 video card pulls ~300 watts at idle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kentsfield uses the same power as the 965xe, the Pentium D 3.73ghz w/HT, which has been the closest thing to quad core so far, with 2 actual cores and 2 'virtual' cores.

In all honesty, who cares about how much power your desktop uses. If you can afford a kentsfield and two 8800's in SLI, then you clearly can afford the small jump in your electric bill. Personally I'm thinking of investing in a really powerful PSU right now, with these cards coming out. Oh yea I just signed the lease on my new apartment (getting out of my parents home!) and electricity is included in the rent.