Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What could cause PSU to make this noise?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not really a matter of being stubborn; it's just a simple numbers game.
    IDK, other OEM seem to have less problems.
    There has to be something in either their design or manufacturing process that leads Seasonic to have more problems with coil Whine than others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Probably just need to use much more glue/caulk. It would hinder cooling of the coils a bit, but probably not enough to create problems...

Then again, if I was competent enough to teach Seasonic engineers how to do their job, I'd already be working for them and revel in cash and technological marvels.
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
    IDK, other OEM seem to have less problems.
    There has to be something in either their design or manufacturing process that leads Seasonic to have more problems with coil Whine than others.
    I wouldn't say they have more of a problem than others; we just see more seasonic units sold on the high end, as well as recommended to people.

I've had a good few Seasonic units and none of them chirpped; on or off of a UPS. On the other hand, I've had fewer FSP units cross my desk but 2 out of 5 of them sung like birds on a spring morning at low loads. Like wise, I have seen a few CWT boys that had a thing or two to sing about.

We talked about this in another thread; but users are more likely to complaint with the more money spent.
    If you're spending $150 or more on a PSU then you're likely going to complain. In that area, at least in the English speaking markets, Seasonic & Superflower are your top two OEMs in terms of sales. At least for the time being. On the flipside, when you buy a $50-70 PSU and it has some coil whine or low pitch hum most folks won't complain about it as the PSU works and it's all good.

We saw this in great practice a few years back with the release of the AX1200. It was being slammed day in & day out because of the loud fan & it's coil whine, on forums. It wasn't a bad unit and the early batches did have some trouble (as admitted by Corsair) but even far after release you still saw complaints coming in as well as users recommending not to buy the unit.

I'm by no means defending Seasonic, I'm just saying back off the trigger before you get too eager to pull it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldn't say they have more of a problem than others; we just see more seasonic units sold on the high end, as well as recommended to people.
    There is probably a business/marketing term for this phenomenon - the more popular a product becomes the more complaints you hear about it.

That said, sometimes the complaints are valid. Too often we have seen great things cheapened as they become more popular. I feel this happened to Corsair - once the darling, now you need to be particular which model you select.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    Like wise, with the sheer number of parts you have move through a factory that rely on copper wound around something; it's a true act of God-QC skills to not have any chirping in your line up.

It's not really a matter of being stubborn; it's just a simple numbers game.
    Good to have it put in perspective. I guess that explains the fact that of the seven Seasonics I have bought, none have had coil whine.
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    We saw this in great practice a few years back with the release of the AX1200. It was being slammed day in & day out because of the loud fan & it's coil whine, on forums.
    Well it wasn't coil whine.
    It was the fan whining due to too low PWM settings...

I had an AX1200 some time ago and on my unit it was the fan whining at low loads...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post

I had an AX1200 some time ago and on my unit it was the fan whining at low loads...
    Yep. That's why they switched to the FDB fans. They're silent even at very low RPMs.

Quote Originally Posted by Seasonic Rep View Post
    @JonnyGuru, hey thanks for the vote of confidence.
    You're welcome. Maybe I'm just a little burned out from people RMA-ing their PSUs over and over again and always having the same problem, yet when they use a completely different PSU (from a different OEM) the problem goes away.