Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What could cause PSU to make this noise?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What could cause PSU to make this noise?

My new fanless Seasonic PSU turned out to be noisy, definitely not "0dBa" as advertised. It is not high-pitched "coil whine" like from some graphic cards, but a much lower sound like in the following videos. (Not mine, I already RMA'd my PSU, but a Google search revealed other people with similar issues).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH_N_B6bmbM&t=0m5s

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5y...MW8/edit?pli=1 (skip to around 40 seconds mark)

Would this indicate an issue with AC power rather than PSU itself? It feels like a different problem from the typical coil whine some complain about, and it also seems rare since all tech review sites I've visited claim these units are silent.

I tried powering it up with a paperclip and also connecting through an inexpensive Tripp Lite UPS (line-interactive), but it still made the noise (perhaps less in the former case if compared to when it's connected to a PC). It never occurred to me until recently that power lines could be to blame because my old PSU never made such noise.

cheapie is offline That weird furry girl they warned you about
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does it make the noise when plugged into the UPS you mentioned while the UPS is on battery?

I have a Seasonic Platinum-660 (SS-660XP2), and while it doesn't make any noise normally (whining, buzzing, or otherwise), I do hear a faint buzzing sound from both the UPS and power supply when it transfers to battery (it is not a pure sine wave UPS).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    157 Posts

That's pretty typical for a Seasonic PSU. It's not "coil whine" because a coil isn't vibrating, but it's happening for the same reason. Likely it's the X capacitor isn't wound tightly enough and is vibrating.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

buurn (12-21-2014), Lilien (07-07-2016), quest for silence (12-24-2014), sith'ari (12-21-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheapie View Post
    Does it make the noise when plugged into the UPS you mentioned while the UPS is on battery?
    If anything it got worse on battery. The UPS is inexpensive and maybe 2 years old so I doubt it's true sine wave either.

That's pretty typical for a Seasonic PSU. It's not "coil whine" because a coil isn't vibrating, but it's happening for the same reason. Likely it's the X capacitor isn't wound tightly enough and is vibrating.
    If it's the PSU, that gives me some hope that the replacement will be silent

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The power source (UPS or wall outlet) will not cause this problem. There is clearly a some component that is defected. It could be a cap but transformers are notorious for singing too.

Since this is new, contact SeaSonic and send it back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    157 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buurn View Post

If it's the PSU, that gives me some hope that the replacement will be silent
    Probably not, but it's worth a shot. It's a pretty common problem. Most of the Seasonic based Corsair PSUs come back for this reason and the replacements will have customers coming back saying that they do the exact same thing.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

sith'ari (12-21-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

What would make a manufacturer stubborn enough not to change the design to eliminate the issue?
    CPU: Core i7 8700k, HT enabled, all 6 cores OC'd to 4.8GHz, Vcore = 1.24v
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15 with one NF-A15 1500 RPM PWM fan
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370X Aorus Gaming 7
    RAM: 4x16GB (64GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 16-18-18-36@3200MHz, Vdimm = 1.35v
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 with 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X
    SSD1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB TLC; SSD2: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB 3-bit MLC
    HD: WD 500GB (old); Case: LIAN LI PC-7H Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
    PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660W

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ehume View Post
    What would make a manufacturer stubborn enough not to change the design to eliminate the issue?
    Well, if the problem doesn't affect sales in a meaningful way; or if the issue is not widespread or consistent then they probably will consider it a minor quirk as it's not something that has an impact on system stability.

Like wise, with the sheer number of parts you have move through a factory that rely on copper wound around something; it's a true act of God-QC skills to not have any chirping in your line up.

It's not really a matter of being stubborn; it's just a simple numbers game.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tator Tot For This Useful Post:

ehume (12-22-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$$$$$

They first have to admit there is a problem and that could open them up to all sorts of liability issues. They may have already contractually obligated themselves to the current design.

Part of the problem is here in the trenches, it may seem like this is a big problem, but with the big picture, it may be quite small.

I relate it to the Honda mechanic who sees nothing but broken down Honda's all day long. If he does not look at the big picture, he may think Hondas are lousy cars.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@buurn, I am very sorry for the inconvenience and we will do our best to resolve this issue for you. I will contact you via PM to work out the details. Thank you.

@JonnyGuru, hey thanks for the vote of confidence.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Seasonic Rep For This Useful Post:

buurn (12-22-2014)