Thread: Quiet 500W-600W no-fanless PSU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Quiet 500W-600W no-fanless PSU

Hello there!

I need help choosing a PSU
    I'm looking for a quiet PSU, with a fan or semi-fanless, to be fitted in a Fractal R4. One of the reasons is because I don't wan't a fanless PSU heating up the VGA, and the other reason is reliability.

What am I looking for? Quietness

My system:

AMD Phenom II 940 3.0Ghz + Noctua F12
    Asus m3a78
    Sapphire HD 4870 1G
    4GB Supertalent 800mhz ddr2
    Intel 530 240GB
    WD Red 2TB

I was told my pc will use no more than 300W. Does anybody knows its idle power usage? more or less

My budget: $100 or $150 (if it's worth it)

Where am I shopping? USA. But the PSU will run in South America, 240v, if that means anything.

After doing a lot of research it's like everything has come up to this:

Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 600W - $80 sale (The 500w model is $90)

Cooler Master V550 Semi Modular - $80

Enermax Platimax 500W - I don't know its price. It isn't available at Newegg, neither Amazon. Where can I find it?

What are my thoughts from them?

Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 600W:
    I like it's fan rpm/load curve at low loads, a 135mm FDB at 350rpm should be very quiet - silent
    It's pricey, but now it's at a $80 sale.

Cooler Master V550 Semi Modular:
    I like it's outstanding efficiency at low loads. Also, high quality caps everywhere!
    But, I don't like its fan profile. It isn't that bad, thought. Also, it seems that the Yate Loon 120mm fan will be louder than the Silent Wings fan in long-term usage.
    Maybe am I wrong with this? Has anyone experienced this PSU? Especifically at low loads. And what about 50% load? Not as important for me but also considerable.

I would like to get a PSU which features V550's efficiency and quality, with a fan profile like the be Quiet Straight Power 10.
    And this has lent me to the Enermax Platimax 500W, but I couldn't find online yet.

Which one do you think I should buy?

If you happen to know a better or similar quiet PSUs than these please let me know. Thank you very much for reading

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The R4s are pretty good at sound dampening. You won't hear either PSU in that case.

We actually built a PC in the R4 for a customer who specifically asked for a quiet PC. We used a Seasonic G-450 PSU (which is sometimes said to be loud). Even he said it was completely inaudible.
    No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the coils backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by developer1 View Post
    I would like to get a PSU which features V550's efficiency and quality, with a fan profile like the be Quiet Straight Power 10.
    And this has lent me to the Enermax Platimax 500W, but I couldn't find online yet.

Which one do you think I should buy?
    I think I already met you on SPCR, don't I?

As maybe I already told you, as far as I know Platimax 500/600 stock availability seems good just in western Europe (I find it easily in Germany and Italy), while it seems almost null in North America.

Efficiency-wise, @230V the Platimax 500/600 stands out just at moderate-to-high load, while at low loads it's comparatively rather poor, and even performance-wise it's a subpar unit in my humble opinion.

Besides, although it's true that the VS-series fan profile in a hot box (TechPowerUp review) is rather more conservative than in a low ambient scenario (ComputerBase.de review), the Fractal Design R4/R5 has a bottom PSU placement with two direct intakes, so that unlikely you will experience a noise-uncomfortable rise of PSU temperature (which will trig the fan to ramp-up). Oddily the Cooler Master GM-series fan profile is way quieter than their VS cousins, but unfortunately the GM-series is clearly inferior, quality wise.

Among the Seasonic G-platform PSUs, the XFX XTR and Antec Edge has a comparatively quieter fan profile than the retail Seasonic units, but fan sound quality is unknown to me (the Antec one should not be that great, however).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry for being the german here, but if quietness is your main requirement I just have to recommend the BeQuiet Straight Power E10 . Especially on lower loads, it's just as quiet as a fanless or semi-passive PSU - and even on high loads I failed to hear mine yet.
    The HD 4890 at least makes up for a nice footwarmer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    I think I already met you on SPCR, don't I?

As maybe I already told you, as far as I know Platimax 500/600 stock availability seems good just in western Europe (I find it easily in Germany and Italy), while it seems almost null in North America.

Efficiency-wise, @230V the Platimax 500/600 stands out just at moderate-to-high load, while at low loads it's comparatively rather poor, and even performance-wise it's a subpar unit in my humble opinion.

Besides, although it's true that the VS-series fan profile in a hot box (TechPowerUp review) is rather more conservative than in a low ambient scenario (ComputerBase.de review), the Fractal Design R4/R5 has a bottom PSU placement with two direct intakes, so that unlikely you will experience a noise-uncomfortable rise of PSU temperature (which will trig the fan to ramp-up). Oddily the Cooler Master GM-series fan profile is way quieter than their VS cousins, but unfortunately the GM-series is clearly inferior, quality wise.

Among the Seasonic G-platform PSUs, the XFX XTR and Antec Edge has a comparatively quieter fan profile than the retail Seasonic units, but fan sound quality is unknown to me (the Antec one should not be that great, however).
    Yes, we've met on SPCR forum, hello there

I thought platimax was much more better electronically, I guess I was wrong. Thank you for your clarification

The problem with Seasonic made units is that they're more likely to present coil whine than other brands, and I'm trying to avoid that. Unfortunatelly, I can't afford that risk as I'm shipping abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by c_hegge
    The R4s are pretty good at sound dampening. You won't hear either PSU in that case.

We actually built a PC in the R4 for a customer who specifically asked for a quiet PC. We used a Seasonic G-450 PSU (which is sometimes said to be loud). Even he said it was completely inaudible.
    Thanks for your advice. It's good to hear positive experiences.
    Besides the R4 sound dampening, I'm trying to pick a quiet psu "by itself". Maybe I shouldn't have put the R4 into the equation if I wanted this.

Quote Originally Posted by silentdragon95
    Sorry for being the german here, but if quietness is your main requirement I just have to recommend the BeQuiet Straight Power E10 . Especially on lower loads, it's just as quiet as a fanless or semi-passive PSU - and even on high loads I failed to hear mine yet.
    Great to hear this.

In this pc-max review of the 500W model it is said it made "electrical noise" at about 170v load.

What can you say about this? Have you experienced any coil whine coming from your be Quiet SP E10?

"Wir bewerten die Lautstärke wie immer, indem wir direkt am Netzteil horchen. Diesmal haben wir uns besonders schwer getan Geräusche wahrzunehmen, da das Netzteil bei geringer Last mit 170 Watt einzig sehr leisen "Elektronik-Lärm" erzeugt, den wir unter normalen Bedingungen keinesfalls bemerken würden."

Google translation:
    "We evaluate the volume, as always, by listening directly to the power supply. This time we made a particularly poor perceive sounds, since the power supply at low load with 170 watts only produced very quiet "electronic noise", we would notice under normal conditions in any way."
    Last edited by developer1; 12-10-2014 at 11:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^
    ALL power supplies are hit and miss with electrical noise from the coils. You may or may not get it, regardless of what PSU you get. You should never pick a PSU based on complaints about coil noise in my opinion.
    No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the coils backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c_hegge View Post
    ALL power supplies are hit and miss with electrical noise from the coils. You may or may not get it, regardless of what PSU you get. You should never pick a PSU based on complaints about coil noise in my opinion.
    His main concern is due to the fact he has to import the PSU from North America to Argentina, IIRC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought platimax was much more better electronically, I guess I was wrong. Thank you for your clarification
    Platimax is better built, so it should be more reliable, but performance-wise it is not top-notch: it's an older design, and it can't match the current best units.

Anyway, you can easily compare the performances of most of those units on Philip Pfab's recent Cooler Master G450M review at:

http://www.computerbase.de/2014-12/c...g450m-im-test/

You have to see the graphs in the original german review, as Google Translator miss them: just toggle on the PSU names under the graphs to compare their relevant behaviours.

In this pc-max review of the 500W model it is said it made "electrical noise" at about 170v load.
    As far as I can see, they said it has a very faint electrical noise, almost unnoticeable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The be quiet! Straight Power 10 is as silent as it get's if you don't apply full load. I'd like you to check the prices in the U.S. for 400 watt version. I advise against buying more wattage for potential future upgrades because most of the time you'll never need it.

Actually I had pretty much the same rig a while ago and it didn't exceed 400 watts even with syntehic loads (Furmark plus Prime). 300 watts in games are realistic. My idle power usage was crazy high because of a crappy board.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c_hegge View Post
    ^
    ALL power supplies are hit and miss with electrical noise from the coils.
    Well, some are more susceptible for it than others are...

With the Seasonic units I've heard more complaints about coil whine than other units.
    Especially with those fanless units there are many complaints about electronics noise in forums...

The be quiet units are less susceptible for coil whine though it always can happen if you are unlucky...