Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Corsair HXi Series 750W review @ TechPowerUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts

Default Corsair HXi Series 750W review @ TechPowerUp

We recently reviewed the flagship unit of the fresh HXi line, and it managed to leave a pretty good impression on us. Today, we have its smaller brother on the test bench. We expect it to perform just as well since it is based on the same platform with only a few component changes, which are due to its lower capacity. Like all HXi units, the HX750i is 80 Plus Platinum certified. It also has a fully modular cabling design, which will make installing it a breeze, and a whisper quiet operation. Corsair has lately paid much attention to silently operating products, probably because they yearn to enter such hard but profitable markets as the German one in which users put a big emphasis on keeping noise output as low as possible.

Another interesting feature of HXi units is their digital interface. It allows these units to talk with the Corsair Link software to provide crucial data about the PSU's operation. Not only does it monitor functionality as it also allows users to adjust fan speed and disable multi +12V-rail mode, turning this PSU into a single +12V unit instead. Most of you would probably want a fully digital PSU, like the AXi units where processors (MCUs) take the place of analog controllers for incredible efficiency, excellent ripple suppression, and a very tight load regulation. However, such an approach still costs much, so for the moment, a hybrid analog and digital design is used if manufacturers want to keep the final price of a product with some digital goodies under check, which restricts digital functionality to monitoring tasks. Such a design essentially consists of a polished analog platform and a digital interface which allows it to communicate with the outside world. We actually favor such an approach as long as the aforementioned digital interface doesn't affect the final price significantly. However, we will make a notable point of it when it does.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/C.../HX750i/1.html

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:

Philipus II (11-12-2014), quest for silence (11-12-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts

I'm going to find whoever dropped that screw in there and knock him around a bit.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

Philipus II (11-12-2014), quest for silence (11-12-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

I'd say this is another case where the pot is spoiled by useless features. Unless digital support is as robust as an AXi unit I wouldn't want it. Like wise, it adds to the cost, which is really the only downside of the unit as the rest looks very good.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    the cost, which is really the only downside of the unit
    According to you which units are actually better, with reference to performance (quality)/price ratio?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I'm afraid he's got you there Tator.

Looking around, you can't find anything better for $170... in Platinum.

Dropping down to Gold does open up a world of possibilities, though. Not least of which would be the Supernova G2 750 which is 60 bucks less, and is also modular and semi-fanless and regulates like a champ and has no ripple/noise to speak of...

But again, no alternatives with that efficiency level at that price point.
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    According to you which units are actually better, with reference to performance (quality)/price ratio?
    As McSteel pointed out; this units biggest distinguishing factor at it's relative performance & build quality is the fact that it's 80+ Platinum certified.
    On a value perspective, I don't feel the price-premium for platinum justifies the extra cost.

EVGA's SuperNova G2 750w & Seasonic's X750 KM3 revision both come to mind right off the bat as they're $30-40 cheaper in the US with wide availability, similar electrical performance, build quality, & warranty periods.
    On a minor subjective stance, they both are fully modular as well. Which is a trait I would hold higher than a 2% better efficiency. At least at this high of a level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts

There's certainly no ROI with buying a Platinum product. That said, you can't NOT have a product in the segment. Within the Corsair line up, it's cheaper than the AX Platinum and is arguably better. Link is a cost adder, but only at around $5.

But I digress... Platinum is not mainstream, is expensive and, as I said, there's little to no ROI. So it's almost a halo product for those who can't afford AXi.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Or more importantly, don't want to pay for AXi.

I think the goal was to create a very attractive platinum certified product and I think we did that. Now, whether there's enough people interested? We'll find out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts

You're still here?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
    Or more importantly, don't want to pay for AXi.

I think the goal was to create a very attractive platinum certified product and I think we did that. Now, whether there's enough people interested? We'll find out.
    Don't take this the wrong way, but considering previous products from Corsair's lineup and the value that this one offers in a total package; I do think it will be a pretty popular item that sells well.
    The Corsair brand is still strong, as well as the HX series branding.

I personally just don't see the value in going platinum at this time when gold is so affordable. As I outlined before, I place a higher priority on fully modular units than I do more efficient units.