Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need a PCIe cable for Antec SG-850 please!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    Buy a new PSU.
    I was trying to keep costs of this new build down slightly by using the good PSU I have already
    ·Ï¢årµ§·
    i7 4790k · 32GB Kingston HyperX · MSI Gaming 5 · dumped GTX970 as NVidiia support BLOWS for 390X · HP ZR30w + Samsung 275T · 4x240GB Intel 530 SSD's in Raid 0 + 1GB WD Black · Lian Li X2000F · Antec Signature SG-850 · BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3 · Logitech Z5500 · Win7pro 64bit

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    I was trying to keep costs of this new build down slightly by using the good PSU I have already
    No cables, no adapters, no new PSU... your options are running out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Try to find a dead psu of the same platform on ebay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I wonder what the pinouts are for the red plugs on the PSU so I could make a cable? They are 8-pin (with only a few wires in each) at the PSU, and 6 at the end, weird.
    You can see that directly in the picture. Three YELLOW wires (with green stripes, probably) are +12V and three BLACK wires are COM (ground). On the video card's end the 8pin (or 6+2 pin) connector includes 3*12V wires in a row, 3*COM wires in a row, plus 2 extra COM wires which you usually see on 6+2pin cables.
    The two pins in the RED socket which aren't used in the video card cables are for +5V and +3.3V so the 8pin PEG POWER socket is backward compatible with 6pin SATA/MOLEX modular cables.
    Get it?
    It's been a hard day's night and I've been working like a dog.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

edit: got Travis's post above thanks
    ·Ï¢årµ§·
    i7 4790k · 32GB Kingston HyperX · MSI Gaming 5 · dumped GTX970 as NVidiia support BLOWS for 390X · HP ZR30w + Samsung 275T · 4x240GB Intel 530 SSD's in Raid 0 + 1GB WD Black · Lian Li X2000F · Antec Signature SG-850 · BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3 · Logitech Z5500 · Win7pro 64bit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Travis, I thought 8-pin GPU connectors were 12V and grounds only, and two sense wires? This is the part I don't know and is confusing me. I see mixed info about what the pin outs are.

Would the 40W difference using a 6-pin to 8-pin for a card that is overclocked and says requires 2x 8-pin be fine then?
    ·Ï¢årµ§·

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I wonder what the pinouts are for the red plugs on the PSU so I could make a cable? They are 8-pin (with only a few wires in each) at the PSU, and 6 at the end, weird. May as well use the lone rail to power the video cards as intended? Even the 6-pin doesn't use all the wires so have no idea how its set up Any ideas how to figure it out? I can build the cable, but don't know enough about PSU's to figure out what is what there myself...

First, I believe the SG-850's PEG modular cable is compatible with Antec's TPN series, TPQ series and EA-750 Green's PEG modular cable. So if GI_Joe can find any cable it should work.
    To be specific, TPQ-850 and TPQ-1000 uses a 6-pin modular connector for PEG cable which is pin-compatible with their 6-pin SATA/molex cable (Jonny should know it). TPQ-1200, TPN series and EA-750 Green uses a new 8-pin connector which provides one extra +12V pin and one extra ground pin, backwards compatible with the original 6-pin modular connector.

Second, the 8-pin RED connector's SHAPE should be identical to EPS12V 8pin connector. You can compare the hardwired CPU EPS12V connector on the SG-850 to the RED connector of the PEG cable and check if they've got the same SHAPE (yet pinouts are different). I think you already have one PCI-E 6pin modular cable with the 8-pin RED connector on the PSU side which comes with the SG-850. Then you know the pinout.
    Last edited by Travis; 10-23-2014 at 12:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wasn't sure if they would be safe long term for a card wanting two 8-pin power.
    Given that PCI-E 8-pin has the same amount of +12 V wires as PCI-E 6-pin, such adapters are safe, certainly more so than Molex > 8-pin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Travis, I thought 8-pin GPU connectors were 12V and grounds only, and two sense wires? This is the part I don't know and is confusing me. I see mixed info about what the pin outs are.

Would the 40W difference using a 6-pin to 8-pin for a card that is overclocked and says requires 2x 8-pin be fine then?
    3 12V's and 5 grounds in total. All PSU makers make it this way. 8pin PEG has 2 extra grounds only to "tell" the video card "the PSU is powerful enough". Although rated at 75W in PCI-SIG specs, 6pin PEG itself can deliver 12.5A current (12.5A*12V=150W) safely.

SG-850 has 2x hardwired 8pin PEG so the modular cables only need to provide 6pin connectors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, that is making more sense now I think, lol... So I just need to make another cable the same as what I have (the red ended 6-pin gpu one,) and then get a couple 6 to 8-pin adapters and I should be fine.

(Probably looking into this too much now) but I hope the red connectors are the same on the SG-850 as it specifies which to put into which (Y/G in one Y/B in the other), I'll have to look to see if they are keyed the same, as I can't compare the pinouts as I have only one. That pic is from a review, not mine so wish that guy didn't have his thumb on the one!
    ·Ï¢årµ§·