Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: which psu for r290 ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default which psu for r290 ?

I've been reading some reviews et all; and as far as I can tell a 600 or 650 psu will power an i5 or i7 system with a couple of disks and an r290 but i'm getting a bit lost as to which psu are decent these days. I saw the recent review on the hx750i which seems like a top of the line unit for $169 and the evga b 750 $89; but I'm thinking even that might be overkill.
    -
    The system I'm thinking of is mini-itx with 8 gigs of ram (pc1600 cas 7); one ssd (probably 250gb) and one hard drive with probably an r290 (not a fan of the r290 but it was free). Still trying to decide between the i7 ($279 and the i5 $199 but I think both use the same power).
    -
    I'd like something that would be reliable for 5 years; as I hate having to diagnosis broken systems. My current system has a 4 year old seasonic X (I think 650).
    -
    This is a game system that is used like an appliance - turn it on play games - turn it off - i ahve a linux system (gpu is hd3000) that i use for web browsing and stuff that is on 24/7.
    -
    I don't mind paying a little extra for gold+ to save some energy but reliability is high on my list (not sure if the solder issue on the evga would significantly impact reliability.
    -
    Any comments/suggestions ? Oh yea noise - well the r290 is probably noisy (haven't checked) so something that is not much louder would be a big +

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by you2 View Post
    Any comments/suggestions ?
    Stick with your current X-650.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I would have to buy a second one as this is a computer for someone else. My system is only 4 years old so I think it has 3 or 4 years left.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My advice would like to be the same: stick with that PSU and buy a cheap unit for the rig you are giving away.

However, either you stay the course for a new toy, or you stick with that old bad boy, you have to determine which enclosure will fit: not all mITX cases are created equal, some accept longer units, some other else don't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm still confused; the seasonic psu is in use in a system; are you suggesting i pull it for this new system i'm giving away and by a new psu for myself ? If so what psu ? another seasonic ?
    -
    The case iwll be the elite 130 which should be long enough for the card; i'm more concern about clearence next to the pci slot on the mini-itx boards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

I think he is suggesting you keep your Seasonic for your own rig, and to buy an inexpensive rig for the giveaway. I bought a Corsair CX430 when it was on sale -- $25 + tax + free shipping. It is a decent PSU. A CX600 is going for $60 at newegg right now -- free shipping. I don't know if it will hit your reliability thinking, though.

There is a Seasonic 620W for $65+$4 shipping.

I'm sure others will suggest a few highly reliable budget PSU's.
    CPU: Core i7 8700k, HT enabled, all 6 cores OC'd to 4.8GHz, Vcore = 1.24v
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15 with one NF-A15 1500 RPM PWM fan
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370X Aorus Gaming 7
    RAM: 4x16GB (64GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 16-18-18-36@3200MHz, Vdimm = 1.35v
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 with 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X
    SSD1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB TLC; SSD2: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB 3-bit MLC
    HD: WD 500GB (old); Case: LIAN LI PC-7H Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
    PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660W

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Antec
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Tpk=17-371-059

$20 OFF ENDS 9/22 Rosewill Hive not bad
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182132

Just browsing possibilities
    rig 1: I5 2500K Asrock P67 2X 4GB Crucial 1600 Samsung 2TB HDD 2X OOD Earthwatts EA-500D Rosewill Redbone
    rig 2: I5 2500K Asrock P67 Pro3 4x 4GB Crucial Ripjaws X Corsair Neutron 256 GB SSD Samsung 2 TB HDD 3X OOD Earthwatts EA-500D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm still confused
    I'm sorry, maybe it's due my not so good english.

Broadly speaking, about your building rig, an R9 290 should draw about 260W DC at most (around 300W DC under FurMark): so depending of the actual CPU and voltage/clock settings, probably you may expect an overall max power draw for your upcoming build from around 350W up to maybe 430W DC.

IMHO you won't easily find a reasonably priced, really better balanced unit than your original Seasonic X-650, and even a 4-years specimen of the original X-650 is still a baby: to get a similar quality but contemporary unit you're going to spend as much as required for the Corsair HX750i.

So, whether it were possible for you to hold on your current PSU, then sticking with it would be a very fine choice.
    In case, about any replacement PSU for that current system which you're giving to another person, I don't know your specs, but probably some Rosewill Capstones (if you come from USA) could be interesting. For instance:

While the cheapest but still reliable option on Newegg would be that current Shell Shocked, a fixed cabling XFX Pro-series 550W (Seasonic): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817207035

On the other hand, providing that you want a new toy (PSU) along with the R9 290, and you're willing to spend that much, there's no question, and a Corsair HX750i would be a very fine pick. With reference to contemporary Seasonics, IMO current X-series won't offer you any advantage in real life, over your one: they have some better figures, but build quality control and noise profile would probably be worse.
    But if you want a better unit than your current one, for a noticeable less amount of money, you may get into some troubles to fulfill all your requirements.

i'm more concern about clearence next to the pci slot on the mini-itx boards.
    As far as I know, ASUS boards currently should offer the maximum clearance among any mITX boards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was thinking about the asrock z97e (which I can get locally for $90). I can't pull the seasonic X I have for this system; and probably shouldn't have mentioned it. I'm worried that the cx 430 is not strong enough. The rosewell 650 gold might be a good choice (the one you linked) ?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182263
    -
    One concern abuot the rosewell is tht a review noted it is much larger than most psu and the case will be small - elite 130.
    -
    If a 400 watt psu could actually drive this system i do have an antec hg 400.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The rosewell 650 gold might be a good choice (the one you linked) ?
    Performance-wise it may power up easily an i7+R9 290, surely better than either any CX or almost all the 400w units around.

One concern abuot the rosewell is tht a review noted it is much larger than most psu and the case will be small - elite 130.
    Use official specs and not any generic assessment: Rosewill specced the unit for 163mm, Cooler Master specced the Elite 130 for a PSU clearance up to 180mm.
    So it will fit.

If a 400 watt psu could actually drive this system i do have an antec hg 400.
    That Antec is a modified Seasonic M12-II.
    Dimensions-wise it is almost identical to the modular Capstones. Electrically it can power a stock i7/R9 290, while it could have some more problems powering an heavily oc'ed one.
    Noise-wise and reliability-wise IMO your mileage may vary, as it would run enough close to the max ratings (I guess quite often, according to your described usage pattern).