Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on the EVGA Hadron SFF 500w PSU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Opinions on the EVGA Hadron SFF 500w PSU

Just curious what people's thoughts are on the SFF 500w Gold PSU found inside the EVGA Hadron chassis: http://www.evga.com/Products/Product...110-MA-1001-K1

It's a nifty mini-ITX case that can fit full size GPUs, but I've seen a number of concerning builds coming from boutique builders like Cyberpower, such as a 4770K, Titan Black, and AIO watercooler. Seems risky even before taking the CPU to 4+Ghz.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kougar View Post
    Seems risky even before taking the CPU to 4+Ghz.
    What does "risky" mean?

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...print&reid=276

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It sort of depends on how the system is used. I mean the time on high load vs mid load vs idle.

A good SFF PSU can take 500w. But you may not want to push it to >400w all the time.

By the way, who made the EVGA SFF unit?

cheapie is offline That weird furry girl they warned you about
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ssshjp View Post
    By the way, who made the EVGA SFF unit?
    It's branded "EVGA FSP500-501UN", so I'm assuming FSP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is a Silversone SFX 500watt Gold listed as accompanying the release of the 600 Gold which is by Enhance.
    The Silverstone SFX 450watt Gold IS I think FSP.
    So would appear could be a tweaked FSP 450 or 500 Enhance.
    No other Gold 450/500 SFX power supplies googled up, I would expect EVGA rebadged one of these.
    rig 1: I5 2500K Asrock P67 2X 4GB Crucial 1600 Samsung 2TB HDD 2X OOD Earthwatts EA-500D Rosewill Redbone
    rig 2: I5 2500K Asrock P67 Pro3 4x 4GB Crucial Ripjaws X Corsair Neutron 256 GB SSD Samsung 2 TB HDD 3X OOD Earthwatts EA-500D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by walterm View Post
    No other Gold 450/500 SFX power supplies googled up, I would expect EVGA rebadged one of these.
    It's not a SFX unit, it's a 1U IPC unit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry for the delay in replying, was doing some cross-country driving for the past week. Ugh!

Started the thread because Cyberpower and some other boutique builders bundle the Hadron Hydro with a Titan Black, 4770K with OC, and other kit.

Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    What does "risky" mean?
    Risky in that the Titan Black alone is supposed to have a 650w power supply. Throw in a fully featured system, then add in the power draw of the water pump (my own MCP655 pulls around 40w) and the system would appear to be right at the 500w mark in actual power draw. That's not even considering most people would OC the 4770K to 4Ghz as well....

I also run F@H, so if I had such a GPU the system would be under a sustained load most of the time it is on. Also a bad thing if it's drawing near 100% loads from a 500w SFF PSU right? So it seems risky (at best) for the OEM to bundle the Hadron with a such a low wattage PSU and high power draw GPU+pump+OC'able CPU.

Edit: I guess I'm asking what would be the recommended max sustained load for this kind of PSU given the original maker, form-factor, etc?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I guess I'm asking what would be the recommended max sustained load for this kind of PSU given the original maker, form-factor, etc?
    As far as I'm concerned, I can't help that much about: the unit is rated for a MTBF of 100.000hrs at full power, but @ 25°C, therefore at operating temperature (40-50°C) reliability derating *might* even be huge, but with reference to just the max power level, from what I were read here the max sustained load for the 12V rail @ 50°C should be no more than 455W but within a max 475W total (so the power on the 12V rail may be even lower than 455W, depending on draw on minor rails). Obviously, if I'm not wrong interpreting those FAQ.

I guess you'd better to open a new thread, with a strictly specific topic about the FSP500-501UN, in order to gain somehow more visibility for those questions.
    Last edited by quest for silence; 09-27-2014 at 07:24 PM. Reason: added link to faq

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Risky in that the Titan Black alone is supposed to have a 650w power supply. Throw in a fully featured system, then add in the power draw of the water pump (my own MCP655 pulls around 40w) and the system would appear to be right at the 500w mark in actual power draw. That's not even considering most people would OC the 4770K to 4Ghz as well...
    A Titan Black's maximum power draw is 265W while a OC'd 4770K at 4GHz could be up around ~100W so your system's total draw should be just a little over 400W, not 500W.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SilverStone For This Useful Post:

Kougar (10-02-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whelp, looks like some of the power figures I saw were a little off. Silverstone's post is correct.

I was able to test a Hadron Hydro with stock 4770K & Titan Black, and under combined load power draw from the plug was ~355w. I'm impressed. Would need an AVX2 and Furmark load to break 400w even factoring in the pump.

After a sustained load for a few hours the radiator fans are much louder than the ~40mm fan in the PSU which I also find to be surprising... PSU is reasonably cooler with exhaust temps of <100F too.