Thread: Couple of issues in my new pc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Couple of issues in my new pc

Good day to you all. I had been planning a new mATX pc for gaming and I finally bought it. After building it, I have encountered several issues.
    The specs:
    Silencio 352 matx case.
    gigabyte h97m d3h motherboard
    i5 4690 - cooler master hyper tx3 evo cpu cooler
    evga gtx780 ftw acx
    Corsair RM750 PSU
    samsung 840evo 250gb
    corsair vengeance low profile 1600mhz cl11 ddr3

Here's an image for what I'm planning to do for overheating (Room temp 31'C btw).

1- Corsair RM750 fan never works.. Perhaps because my current configuration doesnt eat up much energy (as much to hit 40% load to bypass Zero RPM Fan Mode™.. such a crap innovation) but the metal plate is really heated up and it rises directly onto the gpu, causing heating problems. Perhaps the PSU parts are safe inside but, I really think it should work.. for the sake of my matx temperature. I tried furmark, intelburntest (although not at the same time), playing games like battlefield4 and witcher 2.. it just doesnt want to spin. Do you think its normal for rm750? should I switch to another psu or will I be fine with it?

2- GPU hits up to 90'C when side panel of the case is closed. I'm not even sure if its stable at that point, so I cancelled the furmark test after running like 3-4 minutes... Theres just so much heat coming from PSU plate thanks to its zero-rpm quiet operation... I have a 120hz monitor so even with vsync my gpu will be pushed to its limits so what should I do about it?

3- There's a hissing, buzzing electricity sound coming from my evga 780 ftw whenever I am playing games or benchmarking. Its just a high pitched single tone sound that annoys me to hell even though its not too audible. Should I return it to the vendor? I've read about some websites telling that it either goes away after some time or there's a chance that my PSU-Gfx card pairing is not teaming up well.

4- What kind of a case fan configuration would you suggest? Is there any difference between plugging a fan cable onto motherboard or directly onto PSU?

I will be eagerly awaiting for your answers. I hope I will be able to save this little derelict before it sinks into bottom.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Signia View Post
    Zero RPM Fan Mode™.. such a crap innovation)
    Is it? How so?

Normally, I would say get a bigger PSU if you want a quieter system because the fan won't run as much (or in this case, at all) but 750W is WAAAAAYYYYY more than you need. Even 650W would be overkill for a single card config.

...but the metal plate is really heated up and it rises directly onto the gpu, causing heating problems.
    Does it? Do you have a thermistor or even an IR thermometer to measure the actual temperature? I've had so many people say "er mer gerd... tis hot to the touch!", then I measure the surface temp and it's only about 40°C (about what a lot of internal PC temps are when gaming with a high end GPU and air cooled CPU).

2- GPU hits up to 90'C when side panel of the case is closed.
    You have a GTX780 FTW in a uATX case. It's going to get hot. Certainly install the second fan in the front.

3- There's a hissing, buzzing electricity sound coming from my evga 780 ftw whenever I am playing games or benchmarking. Its just a high pitched single tone sound that annoys me to hell even though its not too audible. Should I return it to the vendor? I've read about some websites telling that it either goes away after some time or there's a chance that my PSU-Gfx card pairing is not teaming up well.
    It's not the "PSU-Gfx card not teaming up well." That sounds like someone that's confusing the fact that such noises come from EITHER the PSU or graphics card. There's nothing wrong with your graphics card, but if the noise annoys you, RMA it and see if the replacement does the same thing.

4- What kind of a case fan configuration would you suggest? Is there any difference between plugging a fan cable onto motherboard or directly onto PSU?
    Like I said, put the extra fan in the front. But also, clean up that mess of cables. That's blocking most of your airflow right there. Also, flip the PSU around so the grill is pointing up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the reply sir mr jonny. I have cleaned the cable mess and moved the intake fan to bottom part of the front panel. Nothing changed at all, this little thing is like a heat radiator which could be used in winter! My GPU hit 92'C in furmark and 86'C in Battlefield 4. Well, perhaps thats normal numbers considering my room temperature and the microATX case airflow (although its only about 3-4'C difference when i open up the side panels).. I wish I could find a reference design gtx780 so it wouldn't blow the hot air inside the case (although its temperature levels are nothing better).

My previous 5year old atx PC had a corsair hx650w and it was wonderful. I tried upgrading my old case with another gtx460 in SLI mode, but something (i5 760 cpu?) bottlenecked my pc, or possibly microstuttering? capacity aging causing not enough power? but it never crashes-locks.. whatever, I couldn't get the desired framerate I wanted so I bought a new single-card matx for better portability. (It also started to make weird vibration sounds when hdd is working. Is there a fix to it? I guess I'll check the screws but it could be because of its age too.)

I have emailed both corsair and evga about the heating/buzzing problem but none answered back. So I took the whole case to the tech support of my local vendor. 750w was WAAAAAAAYYYY too much power for my case just as you said. I bought it because it was fully modular, but its rigid cables ended up being hard to bend around the crappy matx case (behind the mobo). Funny that the tech support guy agreed to change my unfaulty PSU but will give "consideration" to change the hissing/buzzing Gfx card. So they'll change the PSU to a lower wattage one (possibly a semi modular) and see if spinning fans would change temperatures at all. With a less expensive psu I would also have enough extra cash to get some decent case fans. Unfortunately my local dealer doesn't offer too much variety. And it would be wonderful if you could make some suggestions from following moonspeak (turkish) links:

PSU: Price descending
    http://www.vatanbilgisayar.com/guc-k...power/?&srt=PU

120mm case fans: Price descending
    http://www.vatanbilgisayar.com/fanla...1125462&srt=PU

I had my eyes on this psu after reading your review: http://www.vatanbilgisayar.com/centa...gi.html?srt=PU
    and this fan: http://www.vatanbilgisayar.com/air-s...an.html?srt=PU
    but both of these are out of stock in my city's dealer.
    (you can click on "Stoktaki magazalar" to whether they have the item in stock of my city -Konya, not konyaalti though!)

Sorry for the long post thanks for your time!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts

If the vendor is willing to swap your PSU, you don't have to sacrifice modularity if you want a lower wattage. The RM Series goes as low as 450W. The RM550 should be perfect.

And I would add a SECOND fan to the front. Not just move it. Moving it isn't going to really do anything. Adding a second will give you positive pressure in the case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You could try adding a top exhaust fan too.
    rig 1: I5 2500K Asrock P67 2X 4GB Crucial 1600 Samsung 2TB HDD 2X OOD Earthwatts EA-500D Rosewill Redbone
    rig 2: I5 2500K Asrock P67 Pro3 4x 4GB Crucial Ripjaws X Corsair Neutron 256 GB SSD Samsung 2 TB HDD 3X OOD Earthwatts EA-500D